Frustrated

Options
I'm feeling frustrated because even though I watch what I eat and workout my weight is still going up. I'm also tired of trying to figure out what works! There is macros, calories, weight watchers, etc etc etc. How is one supposed to figure out what works? My weight swings between 140 and 150 all year and in fact for the past 5 years...I used to wear a size 4/6, I had gone up to a 12 at one point, now I am a 6/8 depending on where I shop. I just don't know how to get any further along when it comes to changing body composition/weight!

Replies

0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You should really invest in a food scale and take the extra time to weight and log everything, even if it can be really annoying. Plus MFP logins can be inaccurate so you can base yourself on this website for the calories:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Count the veggies, the fruits, the liquids.... At first I almost had an heart attack when I found out I was getting around 300kcal of coffee creamer a day :D Be prepared for a shock.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    simi915 wrote: »
    My weight swings between 140 and 150 all year and in fact for the past 5 years

Most people call that successful maintenance, as people tend to fluctuate within a 5-10 lb range. Since you don't have much to lose (apparently), meticulously accurate logging, consistency, and patience are essential. As women especially, water weight fluctuations can mask our progress in losing fat, except as seen as a trend over a long period of time.

And as was said, all that works is taking in fewer calories than you burn consistently. You don't need a special diet or plan to do that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what's your goal weight? What's your weight right now?
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You have to be sure youre logging the appropriate calories and as many have said getting a food scale really helps. MFP would tell me 4oz of potatoes and before my scale id be logging 4oz and actually eating 10oz without even knowing and just using my "judgement". Everything counts especially including liquids and condiments. Also, a great way to change body composition seriously is to get into lifting weights. A couple years ago when i was dieting i was only doing cardio. I was blown away to find that after losing weight i was still at 30% body fat! Someone suggested lifting to cut the fat, by the next year i was 21% body fat and more fit than ever. Lifting really cuts and burns fat more than cardio could ever so that could be a huge help into changing your body for the better. Just get yourself a trainer or someone to teach you proper form so you dont get hurt!
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am 5'5 and my weight as of this morning was 151.5
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Get one. Use it. No skipping, cheating or forgetting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling frustrated because even though I watch what I eat and workout my weight is still going up. I'm also tired of trying to figure out what works! There is macros, calories, weight watchers, etc etc etc. How is one supposed to figure out what works? My weight swings between 140 and 150 all year and in fact for the past 5 years...I used to wear a size 4/6, I had gone up to a 12 at one point, now I am a 6/8 depending on where I shop. I just don't know how to get any further along when it comes to changing body composition/weight!

"watching what I eat" means nothing to weight loss - you need to weigh your food and count your calories if you are having trouble losing and have no idea why.
  • Jadu786
    Options
    Food scale. Get one. Use it. No skipping, cheating or forgetting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I do have a food scale. I will start using it.

• Jadu786
    Options

"watching what I eat" means nothing to weight loss - you need to weigh your food and count your calories if you are having trouble losing and have no idea why.

I do track my calories. But I do go over goal a lot as well. I'm setting a 30 day goal to stay on task.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So you only have, what 15-20 lbs to lose? Set your goal to no more than 1 lb per week. Log accurately and consistently, every day everything, using a food scale whenever possible, double checking the entries you are using in the database are correct. Focus on calories. Macros can help satiety but calories are what actually determines whether you lose or not. Good luck!
  • Jadu786
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

So you only have, what 15-20 lbs to lose? Set your goal to no more than 1 lb per week. Log accurately and consistently, every day everything, using a food scale whenever possible, double checking the entries you are using in the database are correct. Focus on calories. Macros can help satiety but calories are what actually determines whether you lose or not. Good luck!

Thank You!
    Yes, my goal weight is 135.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Jadu786 wrote: »

I do track my calories. But I do go over goal a lot as well. I'm setting a 30 day goal to stay on task.

There is your explanation right there. I wouldn't even set to 1 lb per week with so little to go. .5 lbs per week. Also, are you restricting or eliminating foods? You should be able to set sustainable targets. Lose slowly and steadily and not totally restrict yourself.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Muscles weight something too