Help...I'm sore...again

Options
I've always been a pretty active guy, so being sore after a workout is not unusual for me
BUT, After this weekend I'm flat beat!
I did an hour long run, Saturday and I just didn't expect to be this sore
Now here we are Monday, and it's keeping me from doing the type of workout I would normally do
(Heck, I could barely walk down the steps to the gym, let alone get on a treadmill)
Other then a hot bath and popping Ibuprofen...does any one have any tips for dealing with muscle soreness?

Replies

• libs41223
    libs41223 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds a bit different but do some yoga. My legs were killing me this morning and I did the YogaWorks Beginner DVD (It's On Demand sometimes too). I was able to relax my muscles and stretch them out slowly. It really helped.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Spend a few minutes warming up your muscles. Then, do a nice long easy stretch.
  • Frisbeekid91
    Options
    Do some research on muscle recovery powders. I use a product called Scivation Xtend and it works great for me
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake within 30 minutes of working out if I feel as though I have put strain on my muscles (which is what I usually aim to do!). I would recommend protein immediately after workout, ALWAYS cool down and stretch after workout (if you're using a HRM make sure your heart rate is down BEFORE you stretch and call it quits). Anddd... make sure you're drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of sleep!

Also what others have said. Even though it will hurt do some serious stretching and those muscles should loosen up.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    potassssssium..?
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If you're not using it already, try a protein supplement after any tough workout. It helps with the soreness SO much. Other than that, go for a walk. Truly, if you're sore, the best thing you can do is warm up your muscles. Walk for 10-20 minutes and then do some light stretching. Usually, if you warm up enough, you'll be able to do your regular workout.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Where are you sore specifically?
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    Drinking Yerba Mate tea before, during and after workouts help prevent lactic acid buildup in muscles. But, for now, guzzle down water, slow deep stretches, and maybe a wee bit on an elliptical trainer to shake some of that ick out of your muscles.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    After workouts are you getting enough protien? DOing a recovery drink to replace???
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I've heard that potassium is great for reducing soreness and cramps.

I, however, typically just take rest. I was incredibly sore last week and didn't feel better until I rested on the weekend. Do what exercises you can, but don't hurt yourself further. Let the sore muscles rest for a few days, up your water, eat a banana. :)
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    All the suggestions are good here are my thoughts:

Yoga on a daily basis to help stretch you out
    Check you potassium intake you may be a bit low and that will kill your muscles if they are deprived it.
    Check your diet high protien helps the muscles recover but don't forget that your body needs more then just protien
    I only pop Ibuprofin at night so I can sleep... pain lets you know when you are over exerted and also it lets you help locate the muscles u need to stretch out so you can isolate them and let them heal.
    Icing and heating helps the muscle relax and contract... so doing a mix routine will help them heal...
    Lastly... rest your body if it is not feeling it take the day off the workout and pick it up a few days later... muscles wont sag from missing one work out but will sag if you miss multiple workouts because you injured yourself and no can not move.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bath with Epsom salt and make sure to get plenty of protein and drink lots of water. :flowerforyou:
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Drinking Yerba Mate tea before, during and after workouts help prevent lactic acid buildup in muscles. But, for now, guzzle down water, slow deep stretches, and maybe a wee bit on an elliptical trainer to shake some of that ick out of your muscles.

Lactic Acid doesn't actually cause muscle soreness - it's created by your muscles to help sustain energy during exercise.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've always been a pretty active guy, so being sore after a workout is not unusual for me
    BUT, After this weekend I'm flat beat!
    I did an hour long run, Saturday and I just didn't expect to be this sore
    Now here we are Monday, and it's keeping me from doing the type of workout I would normally do
    (Heck, I could barely walk down the steps to the gym, let alone get on a treadmill)
    Other then a hot bath and popping Ibuprofen...does any one have any tips for dealing with muscle soreness?

I just rest and chalk it up (DOMS) as a by-product of a new or intense workout. Be proud of it. Generally goes away after 3 days (72 hours after initial onset of DOMS).

Cause and possible remedies for DOMS:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm