Keto and My Fitness Pal

Options
Hello. I’m Farrah and just started the ketogenic diet. The carb value on My Fitness Pal are total carb intake. Is there a way to set the net carb intake? This matters for foods such as avacados for those on ketogenic. Just curious. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• hd848
    hd848 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes. You have to be a premium member to do so.
  • megrove
    megrove Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    No, while you can set a carb goal, you cannot see net carbs natively in MFP at all. If you pay for premium, you can set the carb goal and set your dashboard to show you the fiber content as well. Then, you just have to do the math yourself each time.

There is a script that runs in a Chrome extension that you can use to insert a Net Carbs column into the Food Diary. Here's the link: https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript I found it from the keto sub-reddit, a very supportive and helpful community if you're interested. The other option is to use a different food logging tool that is actually keto-friendly (I'm assuming naming it would violate a rule). MFP also likes to tell you how unhealthy the fat and sodium you are eating is. I have dealt with MFP's limitations because of my history and the larger food database.

Hope everything works out for you. Remember your electrolytes, especially as you get started.
  • Farrah_N_Ohio
    Farrah_N_Ohio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a premium member.
  • im233
    im233 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto and using MyFitnessPal also! I started middle of Jan. Losing 6 lbs seems slow! But I've been encouraged with seeing any results!! You can do it I'm still learning !!
  • Farrah_N_Ohio
    Farrah_N_Ohio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you megrove and HD848 for the information. I just discovered Reddit myself. It’s unfortunate that MFP is not keto friendly. I am a premium member and I can set my dashboard to macros, but it does not show net carbs. I don’t mind doing the math. I have tried 2 keto apps but they do not have all the restaurants and brands of food in their data base. Thank you for responding to my question.