being cold

Options
now that i have lost ten pounds I am always FREEZING. Can anyone tell me if this goes away? I have 10 more I want to lose, so I realize I will be cold until then, but once your body adjusts to your new weight does the freezing all of the time aspect ever go away? I may have to gain back my weight if it doesn't. I have to put layers of clothes on and can't barely function in grocery stores!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Less body fat = less insulation! Sad truth of weight loss. It doesn't help when you're way up in the north and it's been -20 all week!

I keep warm by:
    - Wearing my Darn Tough merino wool socks every day (so warm!)
    - Drinking lots of hot tea
    - Dressing in layers, especially cozy sweaters and scarves
    - Using heated blankets, space heaters and microwavable heat packs at home
  • wectmall
    wectmall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm doing all of the same things!!!! But just wondering if we ever get past this? Will our bodies acclimate or will we always be cold?
  • pcw65
    pcw65 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My wife is convinced AC is set low in many restaurants/grocery stores as the bulk of people have this extra layer of insulation.

She always feels the colds, me...never. I suspect that will change as I lose weight. Roll on spring!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    wectmall wrote: »
    I'm doing all of the same things!!!! But just wondering if we ever get past this? Will our bodies acclimate or will we always be cold?

I think we'll all just need to move to Mexico when we reach our goal weights. Oh noooo.... ;)
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Idk. I am always cold. Even when I was in the 200s. I'm probably destined to always be cold. So I just suck it up Lol.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Toxikon said it earlier, but your body has less insulation to retain heat. Also your body chemistry has changed and it will adjust. Just takes time, just like gaining the weight and dropping it, doesn't happen over night. If your concerned with it call and talk to your medical professional. NOT saying theres a medical reason by any means but I know as my parents got older, they didnt resist cold as well. NOT CALLING YOU OLD EITHER! Just suggestion
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    JDMac82 wrote: »
    Toxikon said it earlier, but your body has less insulation to retain heat. Also your body chemistry has changed and it will adjust. Just takes time, just like gaining the weight and dropping it, doesn't happen over night. If your concerned with it call and talk to your medical professional. NOT saying theres a medical reason by any means but I know as my parents got older, they didnt resist cold as well. NOT CALLING YOU OLD EITHER! Just suggestion

I suspect I have poor circulation in my hands and feet tbh. It sucks getting old, eh? Lol.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've got pretty low body fat and I'm always hot. I don't think it really has that much to do with the amount of fat you carry. Some people are just normally hot or cold.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    wectmall wrote: »

If you're still cold indoors while drinking hot tea and wearing wool socks, warm sweaters, and scarves, you should see a doctor to see if you have that medical condition that causes poor circulation.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    May I suggest fleece cuddle duds? They're wonderful
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My husband is skinny and he’s a walking furnace but when I was skinny I was always freezing! Now that I have extra weight, winters don’t bother me at all but the summer is torturous. Think I’d rather be thinner and just layer up in the winter:)
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Options
    Im always cold as well.....and drink hot beverages all day lol. Not sure if it will ever go away.....does your body adjust eventually????
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of getting yourself a pair of Cuddleduds. They’re a nice lightweight extra layer under your clothes. They have some soft fuzziness next to your skin and the other side of the material is slinky. Easy to wear under your pants and jeans. If you have to wear skirts or dresses, I swear by those opaque fleece lined tights! I lived in Alaska for 18 years and was glad these things were invented!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    I've always been cold, and being heavier didn't seem to make much of a difference most of the time - although I did get a chill after working out this morning when I went back into the gym locker room. First time that's happened, once I got my sweatshirt on and warmed up a tad I was fine - but I consider that a good sign that maybe that fat is starting to slowly melt away!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Though my comment is usually ignored... it is likely the result of a lowering of your core temperature in response to your calorically restricted diet (a part of adaptive thermogenesis).

The higher your deficit and the longer your restriction the more likely it is that you will partially adapt.

Most effects will reverse soon after you resume normal eating. But, there is open debate and different findings as to whether all the effects of AT disappear, and how soon (short of a prolonged period of regain).

This leads one to hypothesize that some of the effects may be "genetic lottery", but in general, the least effects will be seen with a conservative deficit (something not exceeding 20% deficits, maybe 25% while obese), and more so if a good percentage of the deficit is generated by exercise/increased activity as opposed to pure caloric restriction (f.e. 12.5% activity and 12.5% CR)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Although we found a significant correlation between % body fat and 24 h body temperature, it seems likely that the reduction in core body temperature induced by CR is largely related to CR itself, rather than changes in body composition. Mean 24-hours, day-time and night-time core body temperature were ~0.2 °C lower in the CR than in the EX group, even though percent body fat was similarly low in these groups. However, energy intake was ~37% lower in the CR than in the EX groups. It has been hypothesized that the CR-mediated reduction in body temperature relates to the induction of an energy conservation mechanism during CR [11]. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117452/

Both the 25% calorie-restriction group and the 12.5% calorie-restriction group showed significantly reduced core body temperature.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/533741