Fat Biking

They need to make a new category in the exercises for Fat Niking because it is way harder than any other biking.
Rode today for 90 minutes and I thought I was going to die. Nice trails but about 4 inches of fresh snow tomplow through. Man it is hard.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Use the Mountain Bike category.

@bbell1985 the 'fat' bike is one with 4" wide tires. They are bespoke and capable of running on snow.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member

@bbell1985 the 'fat' bike is one with 4" wide tires. They are bespoke and capable of running on snow.

ahahaha. Even funnier. I want to try.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    edited February 2018
    I did use Mountain biking but I Mountain bike and Fat Biking is way harder when there is fresh snow.
    Yes it is fun and well worth a try.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Thusly:

rn7p6q4g1z3b.jpg
  • bbell1985
    Can I ride that in my hood in Brooklyn or nah?
  • AnvilHead
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Put some whitewalls on it and you'd be good to go. :D
  • bbell1985
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Put some whitewalls on it and you'd be good to go. :D

Great.

Guys I'm gonna do cardio! Fat bike. I like it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    It's a tank.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Looks heavy
  • AnvilHead
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    It's a tank.

Besides the snow, people also ride them around on the beach - those big tires float right over the deep sand, where you'd be stuck at a standstill on a conventional mountain bike.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    I was heavy mine was a rental so heavier than one I would buy for myself. Nearly double what my mountain bike it.
    Today my everything hurts after that ride I think it must be that I fell over in the deep snow so many times.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    So is the issue the fatbike, or the snow?

I doubt it's meaningfully different given the amount of assuming/estimating that's going on with all these numbers. I single-speed pretty regularly and don't see a meaningful difference between geared mtb on the same trails/routes.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Get a heart rate monitor + garmin device and voila, calories burned calculated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    It's a tank.

Besides the snow, people also ride them around on the beach - those big tires float right over the deep sand, where you'd be stuck at a standstill on a conventional mountain bike.

I'd never heard it called fat biking- only beach bikes- specifically with the heavy tires.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I would love to fat bike! They look like fun. I'm just regular mtbing :) I am using my full suspension this season and not my hardtail. Man, I must be getting soft but that hardtail beat me up! ..lol...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    jeepyj93 wrote: »
    I was heavy mine was a rental so heavier than one I would buy for myself. Nearly double what my mountain bike it.
    Today my everything hurts after that ride I think it must be that I fell over in the deep snow so many times.

Unless you're climbing a lot of hills the weight of the bike doesn't make a huge difference but it's a pretty safe bet that the rolling resistance of those tires is exponentially higher than my road bike ones and combined with the loose surface takes quite a bit more exertion than doing the same ride on a mountain bike without the snow. Consider the difference in calories a bonus.

What surprises me are the number of people commuting (ie riding on nice paved surfaces) on fat bikes during the summer, talk about making things harder for yourself.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    If you do other fitness activities, whatever it may be, get one of the new fangled fitness watches. It will track your route, your heart rate and some do calories too. Otherwise, just get a proper sweat on, like in the good old days and don’t fret about the calories. Just eat smaller portions of healthy food.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    So apparently there's a continuum on bike tire sizing - you'll also hear the term "plus" in addition to "fat" (plus are slimmer). After riding when younger on a Fuji touring bike, but being "off bikes" for a bunch of years, I got a Christmas/retirement gift ("gift of health") of a new bike (pic below). I'm a big guy, and the old Fuji, which I love, isn't quite age or size appropriate any longer (higher center of gravity, drop bars, etc.). After lots of consideration, we chose a trail-oriented bike with 29x2.35 tires - not enough for plus, but still sizable, as you can see (these are Schwalbe Big Apple tires, for those interested). They are also intended for "most surfaces" - consistent with the paved/gravel/etc. nature of the riding I'm expecting to do (besides all the lugs, off-road tires are often a softer rubber). Since it's cold winter here, I can't turn on my outside hoses to wash the winter grit off the bike, so I'm sticking for now to clean paved paths (one in the background) - which is ok, since I'm also training myself to riding again. These larger tires are great, and I'm cruising pretty well in them. The ride experience is very comfortable. I'm thinking they are not as much a factor in easier riding as is the gearing which is neither as low nor as high as the touring bike. Nor are my older legs (yet) keeping the higher cadence I once had, LOL. I don't expect to be doing many (any) 50-plus-mile rides, but I do expect to be able to do 25-30 miles in varied terrain, over time (NJ and PA have some great rail-trails and such). By the way, I'm loving the new bike too.

Since I live in a coastal area, fat tire bikes are increasingly common sights. But not for distance.

Happy riding.

4zuvqjm95s28.jpg