Can't Lose Weight...Please help!!

Options
I've been really careful about sticking to my 1200 calories a day and exercise like a crazy person. I have a pretty thick history with disordered eating, and until about a year ago I was eating between 500-900 calories a day and maintaining a weight of 125. Now I'm 135 and my weight won't budge. I know that doesn't seem like much, but I'm only 5'3 and I feel huge. My wedding is in 3 months I am SO frustrated and getting pretty down on myself. My diary is open and pretty accurate. I know most of you will tell me eat my exercise calories...and that is TERRIFYING to me...Help, please!

Replies

• hurrayhurrah
    Options
    Your metabolism might still be messed up from your disordered eating (I've been there). Also, if you're exercising TOO much, your body can also slow down the metabolism. 1200 is still not a bunch of calories if you've been exercising like a crazy person. Also, as always, watch your intakes (sodium, carbs, sugars, protein, fiber)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Exercise Calories are like the gas in your car. IF you don't re-fill the tank after a long drive...you're not going to be going very far in the long run.

1,200 is not some magic weight loss number. You need to eat whatever is required based on your activity level, including the amounts from exercise.

As well, quality plays a huge role in your food choices and is just as important as quantity.
  • cpurtschert
    Options
    If you aren't eating your exercise calories, your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to every pound it can, so as not to starve. You are actually doing more damage by not eating enough!! Make sure you are drinking ALL of your water. Also, not to get personal, are you regular?? If not, you are holding on to things that could be preventing you from loosing weight. You need to have enough fruit, vegetables and complex carbohydrates to help your body rid itself of toxins. Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if eating your exercise calories is terrifying to you, then start small. Eat only a hundred or so and see what happens.

Your body needs fuel to run.. and if you don't fuel it, then its going to hang on to every last thing you got.
  • thompson000
    Options
    I have had sucess eating 4 mini meals throughout the day with supper being a little larger.....i usually eat a dairy and fruit for breakfast. am snack might be a form of protein. lunch veggies, protein. pm snack is a form of protein or dairy and supper I eat whatever I want within my calorie range, I do not eat back my exercise calories, aim for 8 glasses of water a day and really watch my sodium intake. Of course everyone is different you might find some of these help your weight loss and then some may not...good luck.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I guess I should add: I know all of this. I eat extremely healthy and am really careful about eating the right/REAL foods (minus a little alcohol). Some more specific advice would be appreciated, like what should I add if I need to start eating more? I am just so frustrated, I feel like crying.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    If you aren't eating your exercise calories, your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to every pound it can, so as not to starve. You are actually doing more damage by not eating enough!! Make sure you are drinking ALL of your water. Also, not to get personal, are you regular?? If not, you are holding on to things that could be preventing you from loosing weight. You need to have enough fruit, vegetables and complex carbohydrates to help your body rid itself of toxins. Good luck!

Yes, I am regular. I have had a lot of trouble with this in the past...it was what set off my eating disorder in first place (nothing coming out, I'm not putting more in...)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Exercise Calories are like the gas in your car. IF you don't re-fill the tank after a long drive...you're not going to be going very far in the long run.

1,200 is not some magic weight loss number. You need to eat whatever is required based on your activity level, including the amounts from exercise.

As well, quality plays a huge role in your food choices and is just as important as quantity.

This!

I looked @ your food diary and I would try eating back (at least part) of your exercise calories. Try it for a few weeks and see how that works for you.

Keep at it! :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You can do this girlie. I don't alwasy eat my exercise calories but I do try a eat some. Just try adding in a healthy snack or two along with what you're already eating.

strin cheese, I would do regular not the reduced fat.
    small amount of nuts
    Do you like avacado, they are really good for you and have healthy fats
    greek yogurt, has more protein ...which is great when you're working out so much
    salad with some protein on it (chicken, eggs, avacado)

Hope this helps a little. Hang in there! *hugs*
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add: I know all of this. I eat extremely healthy and am really careful about eating the right/REAL foods (minus a little alcohol). Some more specific advice would be appreciated, like what should I add if I need to start eating more? I am just so frustrated, I feel like crying.
    If you can stand the taste and your digestive system is okay, try eating cucumbers with the skin, it helps in losing weight a lot faster. Dont know the exact science behind it but it does work. My sister did it before her wedding and she lost a lot of weight but yes along with exercise and healthy eating.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I guess I'll try to start eating like half of my exercise calories...eek it's so scary