If you read anything on Monday, read this.

Options
This past weekend I spent time with my mother. She had a special ANNOUNCEMENT that day.

But first let me tell you a bit about her. She is in her mid-fifties, she has two grown children, and four adorable grandchildren.

She has struggled her whole life with her weight. When she was 23, she married my father, at that time she was 120lbs, physically active and healthy.

My father was emotionally, verbally, and physically abusive to her during their 14 year marriage, and she turned to food to comfort and also to build a wall between herself and others. For the majority of my life she wore a size 24, and was ALWAYS unhappy with herself. As she got older she developed health problems and their was a time when I was scared her weight would be what would take her from us at an early age.

Over the past five years, she has focused on healthier food choices, awareness of emotional eating, and gets up two hours before her 8am workday to go to the gym.

She now wears a size 16 and has more self confidence, more energy, and a better outlook on life.

On Saturday she announced to me, that she has started training for her FIRST 5K!
When she shared her new goal of running a 5K for me, she told me she cried on her run that morning because she was reminded during her run, of all the verbal abuse of my father over the years. She is happy because running is helping her let go of this pain and she can now run ONLY for herself and not for anyone else!

After I completed my first half-marathon this past May, she was there at the finish line, with lots of hugs and lots of tears. She told me this weekend she was inspired by me that day... but what she should know IS WHAT AN INSPIRATION SHE TRULY IS!

I can't WAIT to run by her side and cross the finish line with her at her first 5K!
I hope everyone can look in the mirror today and see their NUMBER ONE inspiration...themselves!

Enjoy your day!

Replies

• ezranch208
    ezranch208 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That was an awesome story! Thank you for sharing! I think it is SO awesome that you have both inspired each other. Being overweight can be a result of emotional pain, physical pain, and it truly takes so much to get past those things and eat healthier, be more active, and do anything you can to move yourself forward. Good for your mom for being able to recognize her emotional eating and stop it! That is a huge hurdle for so many people. Again, thanks for sharing and congratulations on your 5K run TOGETHER!
  • edward1973
    Options
    What an unbelieveable woman and a heart warming story.
  • flbutler
    flbutler Posts: 26
    Options
    wow...This def. brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this heart warming story....
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You never know who's wathing! What an awesome experience for both... ;0)
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING THIS STORY....I CAN RELATE TO YOUR MOTHER IN SO MANY WAYS. ONE OF MY LONG TERM GOALS IS TO DO A 5K WALK/RUN. THIS STORY HAS TRULY TOUCH ME AN I WANT TO PERSONALLY THANK YOU FOR SHARING.......IM HOPING AS WELL TO BE IN A SIZE 16 ONE OF THESE DAYS..........

GOD BLESS YOU BOTH ON YOUR JOURNEYS THAT LIE AHEAD!!!!

BUNNY
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What an awesome woman your mom is for finally letting her true self shine!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing with all of us! I'm all misty from such a beautiful story! How true it is that we all must create from within the happiness, love and self we want!! Big hugs you you & your Mom, good luck with your run!
  • DarMC
    DarMC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What a phenomenal and inspirational story!!

Brings tears to my eyes!! A happy/sad emotional feeling!!!

So PROUD of you and your Mom!
  • Mazyjo1
    Mazyjo1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am inspired, for sure!! So proud of you and your MOM!! (and I've got so much to be thankful for!)
  • redhare
    redhare Posts: 5
    Options
    What a phenomenal and inspirational story!!

Brings tears to my eyes!! A happy/sad emotional feeling!!!

So PROUD of you and your Mom!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    May she prevail. Thank you for sharing this beautiful, inspirational story.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks to you all!

She is a pretty special lady.

Next time you all look in the mirror, remember that you ARE an inspiration to someone somewhere, whether you know it or not! :)
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your mom sounds like such a nice lady . I am so glad she lost all that weight .
  • SDV219
    SDV219 Posts: 106
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing! Def brought tears to my eye b/c of the shear excitement I have for her. She's a strong woman and truly one that we can all look up to! Please tell her I wish her the best on her very 1st 5K ... and many more to come!! You must be so proud!