Valentine's Day desserts

Options
Valentine's Day...I need dessert ideas that are low calorie for me but feel decadent for him. I also need it to be EASYYYYY. I mean really easy. Or even something I can just buy outright. Suggestions?

Replies

• Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lots of low cal chocolate mousse recipes online
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Beet Brownies
  • DitaVonCheese
    DitaVonCheese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Strawberries soaked in rose wine for an hour , shake off then roll in caster sugar ... Finger food
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Dairy Queen's Cupid Cake. (I may be buying one for myself. :/ )
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I’m making strawberry pretzel salad. Not low calorie though. You could just do chocolate covered strawberries.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do a chocolate covered fruit sampler? You can plate it so that it looks real fancy, but it'll really be mostly fruit.

milk chocolate covered strawberries with a graham cracker crumble
    dark chocolate rum soaked cherries with white chocolate chips
    white chocolate raspberries with an oreo crumble

Or, make him a mug-cake. Pop it out of the mug and cover with chocolate sauce and fresh fruit. Use low fat cool whip for frosting.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mousse or pudding, fresh raspberries, whipped cream
    Orange segments dipped in dark chocolate
    Angel food cake and berries
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've been eyeing a cupcake recipe in a cookbook I have lately which looks like it has reasonable calories. Can't vouch for it as I haven't tried it yet, but you might find it interesting:

Edit: never mind. This isn't a really easy recipe, but I'll just leave it here in case someone else might want to make it.

Black Forest Cupcakes

FOR THE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
    5 ounces canned pears in natural juice, drained
    1 cup plus 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
    ⅔ cup packed light soft brown sugar
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons sunflower oil
    FOR THE CHERRY FILLING:
    1¼ cups dark red cherries, pitted and finely chopped
    2 tablespoons kirsch or water
    FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
    7 tablespoons light cream cheese
    1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, sifted
    ½ vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
    12 cherries
    1 ounce dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, grated

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases. Put the pears in a blender and blend to a puree.

Mix together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the brown sugar, eggs, pear puree and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the sections three-quarters full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, to make the filling, put the cherries and kirsch in a small saucepan over low heat a few minutes until starting to soften. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool. Drain the cherries, reserving the liquid.

Use a small, pointed knife to cut out an upside down cone from the top of each cake, about ¾ inch in diameter. Remove these in one piece. Fill the holes with some of the cooked cherries, then cut off and discard the points of the cone and replace the tops on the cakes. Drizzle a little of the cherry cooking juices over the top so it soaks into the cakes..

To make the frosting, mix together the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the mixture, then spoon it into a pastry bag fitted with a ⅝-inch star tip. Pipe a small blob of frosting just off middle on the top of each cake, then top with a cherry and a sprinkling of grated chocolate.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    those little cake dessert shells with cut strawberries and whip cream
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agreed, cover yourself in whipped cream.