Strangest thing someone has said to you about health/diet??

Options
I just had a surreal discussion with the lady that cleans for us once a week.

She know I am trying to lose weight right now and asked me "why do I have high cholesterol as my blood is hot".....?! That was literally how she worded it.

I was obviously TOTALLY confused and asked her to try to explain why she felt the two were linked. She explained that fat when it gets hot it melts and so therefore surely the cholesterol in her blood should melt and..., I really don't know, vanish?!

Lets just say it was a fairly odd discussion. I tried to explain the best I could (at the same time wishing like hell my wife was home today, she is a biologist!)

This lady really is a sweet person but some of the things she says. I could write a book.

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ha! I guess since I've had lots of hot flashes I should have burned away fat and that troublesome cholesterol years ago! The weirdest fad diet secret I was told was that every three hours you are supposed to drink a glass of water with maple syrup and cayenne pepper and lemon in it. Supposedly that makes the fat disappear faster and is more satisfying than regular water. And it allegedly speeds up your metabolism. The woman who told me this was able to continue doing this for one week, then admitted it was a bunch of hooey.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    XD that is excellent logic though...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of crazy things in the last 8 years. I feel that social media is partially to blame, along with fitness magazines and lack of proper nutritional/fitness education in schools. Not trying to take a high road here, but I'm not going to share some of what I heard because I believed some pretty strange things when I started and am mildly horrified about that when I think back.
  • SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eat as much fruit. It doesnot makes you fat.

But the most important one on which i have not researched is. All the elders around me say some people have soft fat and they lose it quickly but gain it quickly aswell. Some people have hard fat they lose it slowly and gain slowly aswell. This doesnot makes sense to me.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I friend I've known long enough to remember from when he was skinny -- now he's not -- asked if I lost weight on purpose or if there was some... medical... reason for the weight loss.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    wex65 wrote: »
    She explained that fat when it gets hot it melts and so therefore surely the cholesterol in her blood should melt and..., I really don't know, vanish?!

That actually strikes me as a really interesting technical question. She's right, you know, blood heat is warm enough that most fats are liquid at that temperature, so I'd expect them to stay liquid and keep flowing round the system (or be stored in cells), not build up in deposits.

If you pour fat down the sink (DON'T DO THIS, PEOPLE) it clogs the pipes because it cools down. So why does cholesterol build up? I assume it's stickier than other fat, or has a higher melting point, or something?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    yoliyoda wrote: »
    I had a friend tell me the reason should could not lower her weight is because she was not eating according to her blood type. According to her, there are special diets based on blood type.

She's probably talking about this book... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eat-Right-4-Your-Type-ebook/dp/B0089WCD1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518162154&sr=8-2&keywords=blood+type+diet

It's utter rubbish, but there are diets out there that allegedly work for your blood type...!! I looked at it once and immediately put it back on the shelf, according to the book I shouldn't eat cheese. Hahahaha, not eat cheese? Me? Hahahahah!!! I'd rather be fat thanks!