Strangest thing someone has said to you about health/diet??

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    I once was told that eating a grainy black scandinavian bread would help me lose weight. So I ate an additional slice after my lunchtime workout. Same with smoked macarel or pickled herring, which I ate additionally as well. I eas the one who told me it would be good ;)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ha! I guess since I've had lots of hot flashes I should have burned away fat and that troublesome cholesterol years ago! The weirdest fad diet secret I was told was that every three hours you are supposed to drink a glass of water with maple syrup and cayenne pepper and lemon in it. Supposedly that makes the fat disappear faster and is more satisfying than regular water. And it allegedly speeds up your metabolism. The woman who told me this was able to continue doing this for one week, then admitted it was a bunch of hooey.

been there, done that :) tasted ok though

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Changing any of our eating habits is like turning an oil tanker. You're doing a good thing by helping her. Good for you.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    "Wheat is poison"

Not just for ceoliacs (like me) or people with intolerances, just everyone. Wheat is poison. And she still eats wheat products.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, oh:
    Moderation when you're trying to get to your goal is no good and if you want to live a healthy lifestyle, then throw moderation based thinking out the window completely. Otherwise, just have an ounce or two of gasoline to wash down your baked fish and greens if one thinks moderation is good for you!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    From 2 different people:

"Peas make you fat, b/c they're made from sugar."
    "Carrots make you fat, b/c they're made from sugar."
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    "If you eat a potato, that whole thing turns into SUGAR in your body! No more potatoes for me!!" with horrified look on face...
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    My mom was giving my 3-year old niece sweet mini-muffins as an afternoon snack. I asked her if she thought that was a good snack for her, and she replied, "Oh it's OK, they're gluten-free!" Smh!! And no, my niece has absolutely no problem with gluten. Afternoon sugar rush in a small child...maybe there's a problem.

• lightenup2016
    Options
    And of course…"But you have to eat breakfast!! You need to kickstart your metabolism or you'll crash during the day!"

Yeah, no, I haven't had breakfast in several years. Doing just fine, thank you!
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    someone in my office shared the following exciting diet yesterday in the hopes that I would join in :smile:

Overview of Allowed Foods

Day One: Eat only low-sugar fruit today. No bananas! Choose apples, pomegranates, and any citrus you like. Drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Two: Vegetables only. Start the day with a boiled potato. Eat the salads of your choice, plus drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Three: You're allowed both fruit and vegetables today. No potatoes or bananas. Drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Four: Eat eight whole bananas today. Make and eat today's basic vegetable soup recipe. Drink three glasses of milk. Also, drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Five: Eat six small tomatoes today plus a serving of plain, boiled rice. You can also have more vegetable soup, apples, oranges, and grapefruit. Drink at least 10 glasses of water

Day Six: Eat a small serving of rice. You can have vegetable soup three times. Drink at least 10 glasses of water.

Day Seven: Eat a small serving of rice. You can have vegetable soup and vegetable salad today. Drink at least 10 glasses of water, plus fruit juice if desired.

Bizarre!!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    yoliyoda wrote: »
    I had a friend tell me the reason should could not lower her weight is because she was not eating according to her blood type. According to her, there are special diets based on blood type.

She's probably talking about this book... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eat-Right-4-Your-Type-ebook/dp/B0089WCD1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518162154&sr=8-2&keywords=blood+type+diet

It's utter rubbish, but there are diets out there that allegedly work for your blood type...!! I looked at it once and immediately put it back on the shelf, according to the book I shouldn't eat cheese. Hahahaha, not eat cheese? Me? Hahahahah!!! I'd rather be fat thanks!

I've got one that takes this a step further. Your blood type also determines your personality. So if you are type A, it means you should eat certain food and are aggressive at work.

I shook my head so hard my eyeballs came out. I don't discuss diet choices with this woman. But she's also carefully explained how tattoos are poisoning people as well.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    "If you eat after 6:00 at night you will gain weight."

take that one a step further - co-worker who insists that calories eaten after 6pm count double!
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    Weight Watchers plan that allows a free-for-all on a lot of different foods that have no points(?!). I've never done WW, but read about this on the mfp forums. Sounds pretty wackadoo to me!!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    My MIL is a liar anyway but one time we were talking about weight and she said she weighed 130 lbs (I know she weighs much less) and I commented I wish I weighed 130 lbs. She said oh if you eat enough you can gain weight and get to that amount. :neutral: um yeah. She knows I'm overweight and been trying to lose weight for quite some time.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    A friend is doing the keto diet while also keeping track of calories, and we got to talking about our respective weight loss efforts. She commented that she's made so much progress and she hasn't been able to lose weight before, and I made a comment to the effect of how she's now monitoring her calorie intake and she's lost weight because of the calorie deficit, and it's easier to lose weight once you realize that you just need to eat fewer calories than you burn.... and then she throws in "but also because of the lack of carbs".

One of my relatives is perpetually on a diet and tends to order things without sauce or with sauce on the side if it's a creamy or cheesy dish, because that's "fattening". I get it, creamy and cheesy sauces are typically high calorie; however, she will slather butter all over her bread, eat several desserts in a day, and have 5-6 drinks in a day, because she thinks they are fine and it's only the cheesy and creamy (and only cream in savory, not sweet) things that make her gain weight.
  • lightenup2016
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I thought of another one. Someone who was frustrated with their weight gain told me that they can just look at food and gain weight. Um, no, you're eating it, and you're eating too much of it! Just like I did over the past six months!