New protein consumption article-- everyone is going to go nuts over this!

Options
13»

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    I went a little off kilter with a very long response, which I think means it's a good time to ring the bell and head home.

EDIT:
    Oh, what the hay, I already typed it all out:

The title of this thread is apt in that I'm going to go nuts over this.

I assure you I read your response. There's a lot of reasons why protein is important, but ultimately, no one's forcing you to eat more. Again, there was a lot of context missing from your responses supporting any notion that hunger wasn't an issue. Really, all the information I could gather from what was written was that you enjoy palatable food and would rather opt for those over protein.

If whatever you're doing is keeping you adherent to your diet and you enjoy what you're eating, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ do you. That's more important for fat loss than anything. I mean, really, I'm just some rando on the internet. So screw what I say or what anyone else says. You don't need approval for your choices.

Tbh I was just really bored at work and this was a fun debate! Figured at least someone should fight for the other side!
  • DJtobias13
    DJtobias13 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You should base your protein intake on LBM, your fat doesn't need proteins. The protein is essential for muscle repair (growth), but limiting anything in your diet is just silly... you need carbs for fuel during intense workouts and healthy fats for proper brain function. All 3 are good for other things too obviously, but those are some pretty good reasons not to leave out or limit any of them. Personally I base my diet around 1.14g of protein per lb of LBM, the rest of my calories are then split between carbs and fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    1.6? Pffffft. I get that much just from the vegetables, potatoes and nut butters that I eat. Don’t even get me started on the chicken, fish and eggs. /flex (or something)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I went a little off kilter with a very long response, which I think means it's a good time to ring the bell and head home.

EDIT:
    Oh, what the hay, I already typed it all out:

The title of this thread is apt in that I'm going to go nuts over this.

I assure you I read your response. There's a lot of reasons why protein is important, but ultimately, no one's forcing you to eat more. Again, there was a lot of context missing from your responses supporting any notion that hunger wasn't an issue. Really, all the information I could gather from what was written was that you enjoy palatable food and would rather opt for those over protein.

If whatever you're doing is keeping you adherent to your diet and you enjoy what you're eating, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ do you. That's more important for fat loss than anything. I mean, really, I'm just some rando on the internet. So screw what I say or what anyone else says. You don't need approval for your choices.

Tbh I was just really bored at work and this was a fun debate! Figured at least someone should fight for the other side!

Yeah, I usually respond while I’m at work too. I’m a proponent for protein, obviously. Debates are good if they’re productive in some fashion.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My protein intake is excessive for my weight. I am 43 kgs but consume more than 100 grams of protein daily which isn't really that much on a 2000ish calorie a day diet.
  • AnotherPlate
    AnotherPlate Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's about the norm for me. Nothing new here.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Haha, I KNEW this was going to happen. Yes, some things have to change, but why can't they change PROPORTIONALLY? If I have to decrease my calories, say.... 25%, why can't that 25% come from ALL the macros?

Protein is actually more important in a deficit as otherwise, a large % of your loss will come from lean muscle. As a % of your total calories, Protein should be much higher than in maintenance or a bulk. even the total grams should be higher, not just the %.

as an example: Say you eat 100 grams at maintenance cals of 2000 (20% of total cals), but in a deficit, you should probably get 120 on 1500 cals (32%).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm confused at how veggie pizza tastes better than a good steak.

I mean I love pizza- almost all pizza. But there is no way a veggie pizza tastes better than a good steak.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I mean I love pizza- almost all pizza. But there is no way a veggie pizza tastes better than a good steak.

What makes a steak good is the fat. Low-fat steaks are dang tough.

High-protein low-fat low-carb foods are a bit rough to eat in general. Unless you enjoy egg whites, skinless chicken breast, etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

High-protein low-fat low-carb foods are a bit rough to eat in general. Unless you enjoy egg whites, skinless chicken breast, etc.

I'll take the fat. You can't have all three "low" you have to eat SOMETHING. Why go low fat if you are going low carb? Pick one.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

I'll take the fat. You can't have all three "low" you have to eat SOMETHING. Why go low fat if you are going low carb? Pick one.

Because PSMF is soul sucking and I'm a glutton for punishment :lol:
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Veggie pizza, no way. A good Chicago-Style or NY Style pizza with cheese, meats, a little veggies, and grease; I'll take that all day over steak. :D
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    NY times is getting to be as bad as the daily mail. I would take it all with a grain of salt and do your own research.

They published a research study.

Reading it is LITERALLY “doing your own research”.

<facepalm>
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good time as any to ask for input.

2497 Calories per day
    Current Marco’s
    P 150g
    C 175g
    F 133g

Exercise; 35-40 minutes daily, walking, indoor Spin Bike, Ourdoor Bicycle, and Eliptical Trainer.

Have not added weight training yet. Primary goals is fat loss. Second preparation for Outdoor Cycling March thru October. Goal to work up to 20 miles 3 days/week and longer Saturday/Sunday rides and hiking.

Current Weight:341.6 lbs
    Goal Weight: 250 lbs
    Max Weight: 485 lbs

Any/All Input Welcome.

-F-
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

2497 Calories per day
    Current Marco’s
    P 150g
    C 175g
    F 133g

Exercise; 35-40 minutes daily, walking, indoor Spin Bike, Ourdoor Bicycle, and Eliptical Trainer.

Have not added weight training yet. Primary goals is fat loss. Second preparation for Outdoor Cycling March thru October. Goal to work up to 20 miles 3 days/week and longer Saturday/Sunday rides and hiking.

Any/All Input Welcome.

-F-

First congrats on loping a whole person off your body. Great work.

Your diet seems a bit high in fat at close to 50% of your calories. How do you feel with this split, and more importantly what does your doctor say regarding your labs?. Absent and other information, personally I would cut back on the fat to stay in the recommended range and bump protein first, then carbs. As you get to the riding season, you may want to up the carb % a bit for a couple days before long rides.

"The Institute of Medicine provides acceptable macronutrient distribution ranges (AMDR) for carbs, protein and fat. These AMDRs are 45 percent to 65 percent of calories from carbs, 10 percent to 35 percent from protein and 20 percent to 35 percent of total calories coming from dietary fat"

https://www.livestrong.com/article/81042-calculate-percentage-calories-fat-carbohydrate/
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

2497 Calories per day
    Current Marco’s
    P 150g
    C 175g
    F 133g

Any/All Input Welcome.

-F-

You are awesome! Diet strong!

I am not a professional in any way, but eating ~50% of daily calories from fat worked well for me while cutting. You can even go higher in fat and lower carbs, of course, but I found that balancing the carbs roughly with my cardio burn ("exercise calories") worked incredibly well and kept me more satisfied than an ultra-low carb approach. And, I never did the macro split very carefully, I focused (and still focus) on eating healthy balanced home-cooked meals that I liked and were within my calorie limit.
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I have been wondering about this, as I was looking back on my nutrition reports over the last couple months. About two months ago I started making a concerted effort to get more protein into my diet, and most days I manage to hit the RDA, but not all. I almost never hit the MFP default number - it just seems like soooo much protein to me.
    All of that said - I feel great. I've hit my goal weight, my strength training goals are progressing nicely, and my body fat % is consistently dropping. So while perhaps MOAR PROTEIN would be helpful in gaining strength faster, I really don't think it's realistic given my lifestyle and dietary choices (ovo-lacto vegetarian).
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat way more protein than I probably need. On heavy lift days I go for my bodyweight in protein, especially since i'm slightly underweight and trying to bulk as lean as possible. idk if it makes a huge difference, but I feel less sore that way and fuller!
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better when I consume lots of protein, try to make a lot of it nuts instead of meat and whey but my body works better with higher than recommended amounts and I lose weight easier when I have plenty of protein and healthy fats.