Discuss

Options
Those that have done this. What is more effective? Cardio in the morning and weights in the evening or vice versa? I've personally had experience doing the latter as I feel the metabolic burn throughout the day is helpful and I can't run without feeling heavy when I've done a hard weird session. But would love to hear some insight from you guys

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @francisolorunfunmi I am moving this to the debate board because I think you will responses there
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think this is really a debate kind of topic.

What I've always heard is do the one you are most focusing on first (running, if training for running events with weights as support; weights if that is the focus, with running as some additional cardio). I find that doing a long run or hard run after a legs workout is difficult, so if you care about the quality of the running workout I'd do them on different days or do the running first (which will compromise the weight workout some).

But people are going to have different preferences depending on goals (I'm more focused on running, or should be, the weather keeps offering up excuses).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Whatever is most convenient for you and gives you the best workout performance. If exercising at night negatively affects your sleep that is also a factor. And it depends on your goals, for me lifting is a priority so I do cardio on a separate day as I find doing it the same day can impact my recovery.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Whatever is most convenient for you and gives you the best workout performance.

^^^this^^^
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run at 4:30 AM and every other day I stop in at the gym to do a quick set so I say both. I must admit I am not really lifting as I only do a Nautilus set. I am in it for the fitness and to avoid injury. At 56 I just don't feel the need to bulk up.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Whatever is your focus should be done when you're freshest. If that's morning... then morning.. if that's 2 hrs after lunch then then.

First identify your goals.. then identify your convenient times... then prioritize.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Whatever is your focus should be done when you're freshest. If that's morning... then morning.. if that's 2 hrs after lunch then then.

First identify your goals.. then identify your convenient times... then prioritize.

Agreed. Prioritize your goals, choose a workout/routine/exercises suited to those goals, then plan them based on you life/schedule.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Whatever suits, there's no ideal time imo, for me if I don't workout in the morning I wouldn't get it done at all.
    When I workout first thing I'm energized for the rest of the day :smile:
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Effective for what?

If it's for weight loss then prioritize the conditioning as that burns most calories, if you're bulking or driving for muscle growth them prioritize the resistance training.

Personally I do two days with resistance exercise in the mornings and five days with conditioning post work, with long walks for active recovery at the weekends. Its what fits with my lifestyle/timetable and my weight loss goal. Once I hit target I'll probably change to focus on resistance training more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Whatever is most convenient for you and gives you the best workout performance. If exercising at night negatively affects your sleep that is also a factor. And it depends on your goals, for me lifting is a priority so I do cardio on a separate day as I find doing it the same day can impact my recovery.

A. nailed it.

B. This is also- what I do. I mostly don't have time to get it all in- but if I do- it's lift than cardio- then a day off- but if I can't- I WILL come in just for cardio on an off day.

I don't do cardio in the AM because I hate cardio and won't get up for it.
    I don't lift in the AM because I have crapall performance.

SOooooo PM lifting and cardio for me.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    @francisolorunfunmi I am moving this to the debate board because I think you will responses there

Thanks. Yeah I hear you guys I think I'll priorities cardio and do weights at like 6 in the evening so I don't affect my sleep
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant, but do what feels better to you. Confirmation bias, placebo, nocebo, and other psychological factors have an impact on your mind.

I do cardio in the morning, lifting in the afternoon, and cardio in the evening and then wind down.

Sleep is also critical to this process, so whatever you do ensure you get plenty of solid rest.