College kid looking for recipes?

Options
So I'm about to be a college sophomore, my dad told me to join this website after I gained the freshman fifteen. Does anyone have anything to help me get away from the whole "I'm in college so I live off of pizza, macaroni and cheese and hamburgers" thing? I'm moving off campus so this is the first time I'll be making my own food and not living off a meal plan/my parents, so I'd really appreciate the help

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Add me! I just finished my freshman year and lost 15 instead of gained. :) I am the same way with living off campus and making my own meals. I love www.skinnytaste.com but also do my own stuff as well.
  • charc16
    charc16 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com. Seriously the best website ever. It has lots of easy recipies and gives all the nutritional info for all of them. Good luck! I moved off campus after my freshmen year...it takes some getting used to but it was a lot of fun! Giid luck!
  • SMarie1219
    Options
    I've never heard of skinnytaste, going to check that out!
  • dreamm
    dreamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi try this web site www.sparkrecipes.com all so available as an app for Iphone.
    enjoy !!
  • stephanielynn1108
    Options
    When I first moved out I loved making spaghetti. You can use whole grain noodles to make it a little healthier. But it is a cheap easy meal. Also, anything in a crock pot is a great way to go. You can put it all in in the morning and cook all day to be ready for dinner! I don't have any specific recipes but if you google crockpot recipes it will bring up tons of different ideas. Good luck!
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your budget looks like, but I'd say don't buy any junk food to keep in your room. If you get hungry and want to munch on something, you can't eat the junk food you don't have. Stock up on fruits and veggies to munch on. I'm no help in the cooking department, my idea of a meal is mixing together anything that's in the fridge and calling it a salad, but maybe you could google some recipes...
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great recipie books out there, but they key is to make your cooking as simple as possible.

When I was a Student, the best things I ever got were a George Foreman Grill, Rice Cooker and Vegetable Steamer. ON the latter 2 you set the timers and wait for the bell 20 mins later. Foolproof. On the former, you can toss in various items even from the frozen state and they'll cook right through in a matter of minutes....turning once.

I'd buy chicken breasts/thighs, butterfly pork chops, burger patties and thin steaks and freeze them in sandwhich bags so they're already single portioned for a quick meal.

For seasonings, get yourself some Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Cajun spice, Lemon Pepper and garlic and mix and match them however you desire.

Cheers!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is simple and cheap. Buy the pre-packaged frozen stir fry veggie mixes, add chicken/beef/pork/shrimp, some granulated garlic and onion, ginger, low sodium soy sauce and either rice or noodles on the side.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You can add me :) I live off campus and LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook! Do you have a full kitchen?
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I was in college (graduated 2006), I found that if I made several meals ahead of time on the weekend, it helped me from eating foods that weren't that great for me. Ideas such as grilled chicken breast marinated in peanut butter/soysauce (sounds gross but actually good), on top of some couscous along wtih some veggies. Fish is very easy to cook. Just season it with some salt/pepper/garlic salt/lemon pepper and pan fry it in some EVOO. Eat it with some quinoa (can be bought at Big Lots for a reasonable price) thats mixed with some canned black beans that have been rinsed off of their water. I like to chop up some onion/tomatoes/garlic and sautee in EVOO. add a can of black beans (or whatever kind of beans you like) and heat up. Season to your liking. I cook a lot of spicy, so the more spicy the better for us :) I also like to buy the light bbq sauce (any kind is fine) when it is on sale at the store and just take out chicken breast from the freezer (boneles/skinless), put it into crockpot, pour the light bbq sauce over it, add seasoning if you want, but not necessary, and cook. it's great to cook when you know you will be in class all day and dont want to have to cook when you get home. once it's cooked (takes about 3-4 hours on high), shred the meat and put it on a wholewheat bun. you can do the same for pork or beef.
    if you cook several meals at a time, it helps. for me, when I'm chopping veggies for a meal, I go ahead and chop up extra to help speed up the process for the next time I cook...

Hope this helps and all the best in your studies!
  • askinnymt
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you! I actually lost about ten pounds during my first semester in college, and then it all came back during finals week of the second semester :(

I'm moving off campus next year too and can't WAIT to start cooking for myself! Feel free to add me, all of you! :)
  • Eunified
    Eunified Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm a junior in college and just moved into a new apartment! =) My first meal is tonight so this post was perfect for me! Nice to meet you alll!!
  • movingoffcampus
    Options
    Hey All,

I think it's all about experimentation. I graduated in 2010 and realized you just have to give it a shot when it comes to cooking. Additionally, it's a huge money save. Aim to cook 3-5 meals a week will save you a lot and you will learn so much too. Before you know it, you'll be a master chef.

If you're looking to learn more about cooking in college and preparing meals, check out our blog post, "Cooking in College: Tips in the Kitchen"

http://blog.movingoffcampus.com/cooking-in-college-tips-in-the-kitchen/

http://www.movingoffcampus.com/
  • ximacloudx
    ximacloudx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help! =]
  • ximacloudx
    ximacloudx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah we do, I'm so excited. That was the biggest reason I wanted to leave the dorms so fast, the whole not having a stove or toaster thing was a struggle =p
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great recipie books out there, but they key is to make your cooking as simple as possible.

When I was a Student, the best things I ever got were a George Foreman Grill, Rice Cooker and Vegetable Steamer. ON the latter 2 you set the timers and wait for the bell 20 mins later. Foolproof. On the former, you can toss in various items even from the frozen state and they'll cook right through in a matter of minutes....turning once.

I'd buy chicken breasts/thighs, butterfly pork chops, burger patties and thin steaks and freeze them in sandwhich bags so they're already single portioned for a quick meal.

For seasonings, get yourself some Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Cajun spice, Lemon Pepper and garlic and mix and match them however you desire.

Cheers!

YES TO THE GRILL!