Ive been drastically gaining weight since I started working out

Options

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    jacki865 wrote: »
    Can water weight stick around for 3 weeks though? I was told after 2 it's should have shed off by now

I seem to always hang on to a few pounds from training. If I deload/have a week off I will drop a few pounds which come back after my volume increases.

Are you actually tracking your intake though? You mention your fitbit burn and say "I don't think it's possible I ate more than 2500 calories each day", but nothing about logging. The only way to know for sure is to log everything. And keep in mind that fitbits are not always accurate.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    ken_vane wrote: »
    Here is what I would recommend: Weight everything using a gram scale. Check your food diary and see if the reference data is wrong. The food database has mistakes, so check. Are you getting at least 10 minutes of 80% your Max Heart rate during your workouts? What does your exercise routine add to your calories? How much water are you drinking? If you are eating food from a restaurant or cafeteria, stop and bring your own food. Many food places are as much as +30% off the actual calories on the plate. Check your Sodium intake.

Sodium does NOT matter :-) That is a myth.

Sodium does to matter... An increase in sodium can lead to water retention. That's basic info there
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Here is what I would recommend: Weight everything using a gram scale. Check your food diary and see if the reference data is wrong. The food database has mistakes, so check. Are you getting at least 10 minutes of 80% your Max Heart rate during your workouts? What does your exercise routine add to your calories? How much water are you drinking? If you are eating food from a restaurant or cafeteria, stop and bring your own food. Many food places are as much as +30% off the actual calories on the plate. Check your Sodium intake.

Sodium does to matter... An increase in sodium can lead to water retention. That's basic info there

That is why you weigh yourself in the morning, after using the bathroom. Does more sodium get your drink more water yes, other than that, it does nothing.

Sodium can lead to temporary water weight retention. This can be more pronounced in some people than others. Since it can hang around for a few days, weighing yourself in the morning won't keep those people from seeing a fluctuation in weight.
  • jacki865
    jacki865 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sorry here is more detail. Total daily burn including maintenance and workouts according to fitbit is ~2500. I try to eat about 1500. I haven't been tracking or measuring my food since most of what I eat is packaged or soups I used to eat, I tend to eyeball it.. I go out during the weekends and eat a little more however Its only once that day and I know it doesn't go much over 2500 if at all and the rest of week I have been under.I dont drink any sugary drinks just water only. My workouts are usually running or elliptical for cardio and burns ~300 calories and then the weight training so a total workout would burn about 500~ calories. I also hike on the weekends for a couple of hours which burns ~500-1000 calories.

The confusion im having is 6 months ago I lost my gym membership, started a new job and got in a relationship. As I was adjusting I fell off and started eating more and moving less. During this period the weight gain was 8lbs or so. I don't understand how 3 weeks of me being more mindful and getting back on my workout routine results in a 4lb gain when 6 months of me not caring resulted in an 8lb gain. That's what confuses me. I cant possibly be eating worse now than I did back then. Especially when I am working out 5 times a week and back then I didn't go to the gym.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    jacki865 wrote: »
    Sorry here is more detail. Total daily burn including maintenance and workouts according to fitbit is ~2500. I try to eat about 1500. I haven't been tracking or measuring my food since most of what I eat is packaged or soups I used to eat, I tend to eyeball it.. .

yeah. Before starting in on water weight and other possibilities, stop eyeballing, and actually track or measure your food. I bet you're eating more than you think you are.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Amateur. I gained 7 pounds when I started working out again :lol: Took a few weeks to come back off.

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Being premenstrual could mask some losses.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It may be your cycle. I gain 5-8 lbs about 1 week before my period and then drop it as soon as it's over. Keep on keepin' on.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    4 lbs is hardly drastic.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For all of you that keep mentioning sodium, give this a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKk9tbNrfQ

You do realize he said that high-sodium intake will increase your weight temporarily, right? Which is what others have said that you're arguing against.
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Im 5 foot 11, 197lbs and workout a couple times a week and i never go about 1800. If you are eating above that amount, it could simply be that you arent at the deficit that your body needs. You should go to various calorie calculator websites and check how many cals you need.
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just saw your updated post, im a little late. Its definitely the eye balling of the food and the going out on the weekends that is killing it for you. You need to deficit i think 500 calories per DAY to lose 1lb per week (3500 cal deficit per week) so if you do great monday-friday and over eat saturday and sunday, you wont hit that 3500 deficit that youre going for thus not losing any weight. Also eye balling is terrible. I just got a friend into MFP who was "eye balling" his food and turns out he was unknowingly eating 3000 cals a day almost! Dont trust the eye ball, get a food scale when it asks for things like ounces and make sure youre checking the calories per serving and correct serving size on your log ins!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When you start a new exercise routine your body isn't used to there is a lot of water recruited to muscle tissue for repair and storage of glycogen. Whenever I start a new routine I expect to gain about 6 pounds or so from water retention. Yeah that can easily last three weeks or even 6 weeks. It is water weight, exercise doesn't just create fat. Also I wouldn't call four pounds "drastic" I think you are being a bit dramatic there....that is like 2% of your body weight.

If you are going from eating without control to eating in a controlled way plus exercising have some faith that your health will improve not get worse as a result.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Amateur. I gained 7 pounds when I started working out again :lol: Took a few weeks to come back off.

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Being premenstrual could mask some losses.

She doesn't weigh or measure just eyeballs. .....that's her problem

I don't think that's entirely what is happening here. 1, depending on how much you have to lose, eyeballing is fine. I lost my first 50lbs eye balling before I bought a scale. I think yes, she should tighten up by weighing and accurately logging, however, there are more things that come into play. Water retention for muscle repair. OP is of child bearing age from the looks of her picture, and therefore likely menstrating. I see a 6-8lb right before my period each month. Lets also not forget that 5lbs is considered a normal daily fluctuation.

OP, I apologize if I missed it, how often are you weighing yourself? I personally am not a fan of once a week, because there are so many variables. You may get an abnormally high weigh in because of your cycle or how much sodium you ate, or how intense you worked out. You may get an abnormally low one. If you're not inclined to stress over daily numbers, I like to weigh in daily and put it in a trending format. So even when I get that huge jump each month, I can see that my overall trend is still going down. I also find that I know more about what to expect each month doing this as well. IOS users tend to recommend Happy Scale, I use Libra on Android.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

That is why you weigh yourself in the morning, after using the bathroom. Does more sodium get your drink more water yes, other than that, it does nothing.

I still gain water weight if I consume too much sodium and don't drink enough water to countermand it. I don't know why that is so hard for you to grasp. I
    Also know when and how to weigh myself thank you.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My Fitbit lies to me when it is set for my real height. I had to make myself shorter on my profile to get the burns to come closer to my data, and even then since it isn't consistently wrong/right, I still can't use MFP as a NEAT system. Switched to tdee instead.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    My Fitbit lies to me when it is set for my real height. I had to make myself shorter on my profile to get the burns to come closer to my data, and even then since it isn't consistently wrong/right, I still can't use MFP as a NEAT system. Switched to tdee instead.

I've found that my fitbit overestimates. it would tell me a tdee of 2000 something but my gear fit pro gives me a tdee of 1800ish for the same amount of effort. and 1000 steps on my gear fit pro burns 40 calories while fitbit says 60 calories. I trust the gear fit more, tbh.