I'm thinking of going to a weight loss resort, thoughts?

I'm going a break-up which is akin to a divorce as we own a business and houses together. He is buying me out, which is going to give me a nice nest egg to start my new life. I had initially thought about taking a chunk of change and going on a European vacation, (investing the rest of course) but then I thought a better use of that money might be spent on doing something healthy. We've all seen The Biggest Loser, there are two "ranches" you can attend. There are also several others throughout the country not affiliated with BL.

Going through this has been very hard, the last couple years have been so unhealthy for me, both physically and emotionally. I need to focus on rebuilding myself in many ways. This is something I am seriously considering, granted I would go for 3-5 weeks, not 3-5 months like they do on TV. Spending a few weeks getting fit sounds wonderful, but then again I know I could do it on my own.

I know all the potential plusses, but what negatives are there that I might not be considering? I really want to hear peoples thoughts.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    One negative might be spending a metric **** ton of money on something you admit you can do yourself.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Agreed, these places are really expensive. Maybe go for a week or so just to get yourself readjusted to the new life you are embarking on and then return home and get a trainer/nutritionist to help get you the rest of the way you want to be.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Personally, I would spend the money on a new wardrobe or new home furnishings as a reward for goals I hit along the way. If you can do it yourself, it will be that much more satisfying in the end!!!! You are a strong woman, you can do this!
  • jon_brady
    jon_brady Posts: 46 Member
    Here is a fitness retreat I went to. It was awesome great people great program. I lost 54lbs in 8 weeks. The negative is that you have to go home. I have always said that if I had a cook and a personal trainer I would have no problem losing weight going to the retreat proved that then I went home and over the next year gained it all back. Now I am on MFP trying to do it on my own at home. I wouldn't change going to the retreat if I could the time I spent there was well worth the cost and if I could do it again I would in an instant but I would have an exit strategy/plan for when I got home to continue the journey.

here is the link for the resort I highly recommend it: http://www.utahweightlossretreat.com/
  • reidhome
    reidhome Posts: 26
    TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! ;-)

I'm very sorry to hear about the hard changes going on in your personal life.... You WILL get thru it, though!

When is the last time you were able to get away and focus 100% on yourself?!?! That sounds like PARADISE to me! A chance to hit RESET and have someone else do the HEALTHY cooking, you can take some AWESOME classes and get a GREAT jump start to return home refreshed and in a great mindset for your new begining! I say GO FOR IT!! ENJOY and take care of YOU. =)
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    BL-Fitness Ridge-

California Rates
    Private Accommodations

A guestroom all to yourself.
    One Week: $2,695
    Four Weeks: $10,000 ($2,500 weekly rate)
    Semi-Private Accommodations

A private bedroom with a shared bathroom.
    One Week: $2,595
    Four Weeks: $9,600 ($2,400 weekly rate)
    Double Occupancy Accommodations

All rooms have one Queen sized bed.
    A double occupancy guestroom is available for guests sharing a room with their spouse or partner.
    One Week: $2,295
    Four Weeks: $8,400 ($2,100 weekly rate)
    Off-site Accommodations

You stay off-site in accommodations you arrange for yourself.
    One Week: $1,995
    Four Weeks: $7,200 ($1,800 weekly rate)

HOLY CRAP!!!
    *breaths*
    ok, Im ok.... As much as I would LOVE to.. I dont know that I could spend the money on that... I would rather invest in a great gym membership or buy myself a couple great work out machines. Esp for something that I know I could do on my own.

Good luck!!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    I guess If you have that kind of money around, hey do it!! Or you can maybe get a gym membership at a nice gym such as your local YMCA (thats where I go very nice friendly environment people of all shapes and sizes) and maybe get a couple DVDs for days you dont make it to the gym, and then go to the grocery store and stock up on some fruits and veggies, lean meats and some other healthy snacks, then go get you a nice pair of gym shoes a workout outfit or two and be set to go with same amount of money or less, With great friends on here and some of these suggestions Im sure you can definitely do this on your own
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I would get a gym membership,and then use some to go to a real resort,or maybe a cruise
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I would use that money to buy myself a hot 25 year old and work it off the fun way. The added bonus is also getting the ex out of your system.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    I'm fortunate that the money isn't really the concern, but I am starting to think that maybe I should do it on my own.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    thank you for the business idea. i will let you know soon about our grand opening special.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    I would use that money to buy myself a hot 25 year old and work it off the fun way. The added bonus is also getting the ex out of your system.

^^this.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Personally I would take the trip. Going to a fitness resort for 3-5 weeks might help you get started but the real test will be when you get back home anyway and you're on your own without the fitness guru's and chefs etc by your side. Since you aleady know you CAN do it solo why not take that trip, experience a new culture and come back relaxed and in a better state of mind:)

Whatever you decide.. I wish you success!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    For 10k you could hire a personal trainer for life and probably have him do the exercises for you and wash your back in the shower.

I'd say get a gym membership, hire a trainer and get to work.
  • shelbygeorge29
    buy myself a couple great work out machines.

That is an AWESOME idea!!!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member

ha! love.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,236 Member

take note.. with the temp above 100 degrees where i am.. i am hot... and 26... but maybe not the hot 26 you had in mind...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member

In Europe.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

^^ This
  • shelbygeorge29

^^this.

Can't say that wouldn't do me some good!!!!!!!!!