I go to bed hungry

Options
So I've been on here before a year ago preaching about a low carb diet. I lost 20 pounds in a month and a half, then gained 25 within the third month caused I binged so bad. I eating habits that work for me and I'm back down 20 lbs over the course of the year, I'm loosing very slow but I'm somewhat happy with my body and at least the scale goes down instead of up. I have a high metabolism so I can eat 2300 calories with light activity and maintain...but..i DONT eat after supper, and I go to bed STARVING. I've gotten used to it and I'd rather enjoy my calories during the work day then eating at home. All I'm asking is this normal for people loosing/maintaining weight?? I have people say have an apple but I don't want a damn apple I want a pizza but would gain like crazy if i allowed myself to eat in the evening. So basically, is this a big thing other mfp peeps suffer from?

Replies

• domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry just realized the grammar in my post is terrible lol
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I go to bed hungry too but I'm only on 1316 Cal's I wish I could eat the Cal's you are <3
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be normal for me to go to bed hungry. Even when I was eating at a deficit I did not go to bed hungry. But I always save at least 200 calories for a snack after dinner. I typically eat about half of my calories for breakfast and lunch and the other half for dinner plus a snack. I would suggest that you shave 100 calories from breakfast and 100 calories from lunch and eat something after dinner and see if that helps.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I hate going to bed hungry so I stack my calories into the later portion of my day.

Here's my usual schedule:

7am - wake up, drink water
    8:30am - get to work, drink hot tea all morning
    11am - have a small snack (100 cals) at my desk if I'm hungry
    1pm - lunch (400 cals)
    3pm - have a small snack (100 cals) at my desk if I'm hungry
    6pm - dinner (600 cals)
    8pm - have a small snack before bed (200 cals)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're eating enough, you aren't starving. I often go to bed with an empty stomach too. No eating after dinner here, usually. I often want something extra, but I don't suffer by not having it. Eating all the time and in unlimited amounts might have become the usual thing to do, but it's not "normal" in the sense of "healthy", and it's the reason why so many are overweight.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a much lower calorie allowance and find a low cal hot choc made with milk is enough to fight off the hunger pangs during the night. I can’t sleep if I’m hungry.

Don’t worry about the grammar, it says more about them than you if anyone comments on it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Grumbling tummy hungry? No, not often, even when in a deficit. But I delay eating so I can eat more later.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I have trouble sleeping if I'm hungry so I save calories for the end of the day. I already struggle with insomnia and young kids so sleep is a precious commodity. I'm also so busy during the day that saving calories is pretty easy (though if I save too many there's a risk of being so hungry I find it hard to stop eating, so it's a balance.)
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for OP but it's 9.05pm right now I finished eating at 4.30pm my tummy is grumbling and I have a grand total of 3 Cal's left from my 1316 allowance lol
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I almost always go to bed hungry. Most of the time my dinners are a little lighter (protein plus veggies) and it doesn't "stick" real well after a couple hours, but I find it easier to go to bed hungry than to try to get through my day hungry. I don't deal with much hunger very well (a twinge, sure, but some people can obviously deal with and ignore it better than I can).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started IF using 16:8 I tend to go to bed full. I stop eating at 8pm and don't eat again until noon the next day. Since all my calories for the day are pretty much slammed into two meals, lunch and dinner, it's sometimes hard to get all my calories in without eating until I'm full. Jury is out on whether or not I like IF, been doing it for about 3 weeks. Waiting until noon to eat isn't really a big deal, but getting everything in for my macros in that 8 hour period is, especially during the week when I'm at work and don't have the time to spread out my meals more. I also go to bed around 9pm and get up super early to work out, so there's not a lot of time between what I ate last and when I go to bed.
  • domgibson88
    Options
    I almost always go to bed hungry. Most of the time my dinners are a little lighter (protein plus veggies) and it doesn't "stick" real well after a couple hours, but I find it easier to go to bed hungry than to try to get through my day hungry. I don't deal with much hunger very well (a twinge, sure, but some people can obviously deal with and ignore it better than I can).

This!!! I can actually fall asleep just fine with hunger pains, sometimes I go to bed earlier just to not feel it. But would still much rather enjoy food during the day..Im a nanny and get unlimited food at the residence I work at so that doesn't help lol
  • domgibson88
    Options
    Guess I'm not the only one lol thanks guys!!
  • domgibson88
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Why don't you eat after supper? If you're still hungry after dinner, then budget a few calories for an evening snack. It is a myth that eating at night causes you to gain weight.

It's not so much that I'm worried specifically eating at night will cause me to gain weight..im scared I won't stop and it's always carby things I crave in the evening. Like i would rather not eat at all than have carrot sticks or even yogurt..and I can't have just a few crackers/chips...so I don't eat at all.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I hate going to bed hungry so I always leave enough calories for a snack before bed. At the end of the day, as long as you are consuming the correct amount of total calories, when you eat them isn't that big of a deal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't go to bed hungry...but I eat dinner around 8:30 in the evening.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to know how "hungry" actually feels. I know how "bored" feels. I overeat when I'm bored. What works for me is that I save enough calories that I can eat when I'm bored in the evening at home on a workday. On those weekends, I have to use a different strategy. For that, I just have to stay busy. Whether it's chores or exercise, I need to stay busy enough to earn those weekend calories.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm a little confused here because you talk about being hungry in your original post, but later you talk about craving certain foods or types of foods. Are you sure you're actually hungry? I know when I'm actually hungry, I'm happy to eat yogurt or carrots or whatever else is available. When I'm bored or craving things I want very specific things. For me, it also happens to be carby goodies.