I haven't gotten back into an exercise routine in months.

I feel guilty. It's been three months or so that I haven't gone to the gym, paying monthly membership fees for no reason. I got a bit complacent with my weight, thinking, oh, I've already achieved the weight loss I wanted. But I am forgetting all the mental benefits that come with exercise, not to mention, I still could use some toning and reducing fat in those stubborn areas.

Please motivate me. I want to restart my workout routine. I've already wasted so much money on three months of gym membership...

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    As I repeat like a mantra ....

Motivation is great but it doesn't last. Discipline lasts. If you accustom yourself to this lifestyle, it becomes part of you and is non negotiable. You don't even think about it anymore, you just do it.

Do what works for you - is it being a Weekend Warrior? Classes or machines during lunch? You-tube videos at home, at night?

I read fitness magazines and books. I have like-minded friends. I constantly upgrade my sneakers and gym wardrobe. I'd never think of quitting - even during my last injury, I was able to do cardio.

You'll get there ! You just need that mindset.

• ChaBoiAustin
    ChaBoiAustin Posts: 5 Member
    You don't have to go everyday, even a few times a week is extremely beneficial. If time is a problem, do high intensity workouts that take less than an hour. I'd recommend watching some motivational videos from fitness youtubers to get you back into it. (This usually helps me on days I don't feel like going). Best of luck!
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Thank you!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I just have to make it part of my routine and commit to it until that happens. Once it becomes part of my routine, it's much easier.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I go to a class at the gym 2 nights a week. It isn’t negotiable, unless a near- emergency. Do I always want to go? Heck no. I want to sit on the sofa, eat dinner, and watch the news. Am I always glad I went? Always!

Class was cancelled one day, so I went and rode a bike for 15 min, rather than heading straight home like I really wanted to. Rather than saying I should have ridden for an hour, I congratulated myself for my 15 min ride. Cut yourself some slack and make a commitment to yourself to “just do it”. I’ve been exercising regularly for 40 years. That takes discipline, as was said above, not motivation. It has to be a priority, that you put above most other things in your day.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Do you put dentist and doctor appointments on your calendar? I do. And I put my gym times on the calendar, too, and keep those appointments. Sometimes I'll write "Zumba class, 8:30" for Monday and Wednesday, and I just go! It's a commitment to myself. So pack up that gym back, put on your shoes, grab your car keys and get out the door. You'll most likely be glad to be back there after a little break.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    I like to stay fit by staying out of the gym to keep it interesting. The world is your gym so take up mountain biking, road biking, kayaking, hiking, trail running the list goes on and on. Outdoor activities are a lot more fun and the scenery changes every time you go out. Don't let the weather dictate what you do either just get out there and do it. Get your family involved too. Makes it a lot easier and way more enjoyable to stay active and fit with the people you love.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    When I first got back into going into the gym, years ago (which is what kicked off this transformation), I told myself I could do ANYTHING I wanted that day. But I just had to go. I wanted to read a magazine on a bike. I always saw people doing that and thought it looked stupid but it seemed like the only way I'd go that day.

The rest is history. I cannot miss the gym now. A couple weeks prior to holidays I'm already scoping out gyms in the areas I'll be traveling to, making sure I can buy day passes so I don't miss a session.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Set a goal ... a bodybuilding championship, a marathon, an ultradistance cycling event ... whatever strikes your fancy. Then work toward that.