PCOS and weight loss

Options
Anyone have any PCOS weight loss success stories? How long did it take to achieve your goal? What dietary changes did you make? How much harder did you have to strive than your peers? I have so many questions after my diagnosis.

Replies

• joelchmielak1
    joelchmielak1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My wife has it. She’s lost 50 pounds in the last 8 months. Low calorie healthier eating. Going along with my diet geared towards keeping diabetes in check. Whole grains. No pasta. Brown rice. Fruit and veggie centric. Lean meats. 45-60 carbs per meal. 15-30 carbs at snacks. She’s probably around 1500-1800 cals a day.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Started my weight loss last April and have dropped 45 pounds so far with just a couple to go to goal weight. It's been slow, but it works just the same for us, although I've found that I have to go lower in calories than what's expected for my height to lose.

When I started I just counted calories and nothing else. Over time I've added formal exercise, trying to be more active during the day, getting my 10k steps in and eventually went low carb. I'm not strictly keto and I don't do pee stix or whatever, but I do feel much, much better with fewer carbs, although they don't need to be ultra low for me to feel the benefits. Plus turns out I really enjoy lifting, so that's a big plus.

If I could give myself advice at the beginning again, I'd say start lifting from day 1 and cut back on the carbs for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. Some pcos women do great on low carbs others don't, but I'd highly recommend to give it a shot and see how you feel.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have pcos. I lost 15kg in 10 months of being on mfp and have maintained for 3. (Back into losing now). Its hard but totally achievable. Log everything on here, weigh your foods and be 100% honest with yourself, dont restrict foods just be cautious. You got this! :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have Pcos, diagnosed 18 years ago at age 18
    I'm down 150lb so far and I gained a baby!
    I was told I was infertile due to the Pcos which I completely believed but seems the shift in weight helped a lot

I lose slower than my deficit would suggest but I still lose so long as I weigh and count everything and exercise
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos in January. I immediately came here to start trying to lose the 100 lbs I have to lose. The doctor put me on metformin because I’m trending towards pre diabetes as well. I’ve been losing some weight hoping as I continue to do so it’ll be easy for me to start exercising more purposely.
  • sexisurfer88
    sexisurfer88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed after gaining 70 pounds in under 6 months. Now I need loads of help to lose the weight and the emotional side affects
  • JessieSpath
    JessieSpath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I was I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after me and me husband decided we would TTC (try to conceive)
    I've been struggling for the past 2 years with my weight I'm 5'3 and 236.6 pounds and so I finally saw a endocrinologist today she suggested this app *kitten* well as a couple other things to help and I was hopping to get some good insight on a really good way to start losing weight and recipes for dinners and snacks, breakfasts ect. and just some help in general I was just put on metformin as well and im nervous about all of this my goal weight would be 160 at the most :) thanks so much for any help!! :smiley:
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and have struggled with my weight since being a teenager. I don’t have any insulin issues that I know of. I can lose weight if I really put my mind to it, but it’s not something I find particularly easy. I’ve been back on here since the beginning of Jan, and have lost 6.6kg so far. What’s working for me this time is tracking accurately (weighing and measuring EVERYTHING and making sure I use the correct entries, to the best of my knowledge), making sure I get enough protein to help with hunger, and trying to do a little exercise. I also usually try to go slightly under my daily calorie allowance (but I’m set at 1600, so it’s not too low I feel), purely because I want to make sure I lose and I’ve struggled so much with weight loss in the past.

Not saying to do these things, but this is what is working for me so far!
    Good luck.
  • theneweva1
    theneweva1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have Pcos, diagnosed 18 years ago at age 18
    I'm down 150lb so far and I gained a baby!
    I was told I was infertile due to the Pcos which I completely believed but seems the shift in weight helped a lot

I lose slower than my deficit would suggest but I still lose so long as I weigh and count everything and exercise

Congratulations on the weight lose and having a baby!
  • theneweva1
    theneweva1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos over 10 years ago and struggling with being overweight since i was a preteen. I've lost weight and then gained some back. I'm trying to lose the weight again and hopefully be able to have a baby.