Where do you even begin???

Options
Hi guys, I have been dieting my whole life and for medical reasons I have gained a ton of weight. I have 100 + pounds to lose and I just feel so overwhelmed. Honestly, I don't even know if I know how to eat/cook healthy. I am ready to get healthy and start moving my life in a healthier direction, but where do you even start?

I can't be the only one who feels this way. Any advice or does anyone want to join me and we can help support each other through this crazy journey?

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    One of the main things is not to get overwhelmed by the amount you need to lose. Set mini goals for yourself like 10 pounds at a time. Also learning to cook healthy will be a big plus for you. Looking into sites like skinny taste, eating well, or Cooking Light. Learn how to cook some healthy meals that you enjoy. Start logging your food on here that you eat regularly and then will be easier to log in later. And use the recipe builder for any recipes that you make. There's tons of info on the boards and lots of veterans to help you. You can do this!
  • JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You’ve got this. In the end it is a mathematical issue. CICO works. Even with compounding factors figured in. You’re going to rock this.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You say that you don't know how to cook/eat healthily. What do you like to eat? Most anything in moderation is healthy but obviously some things provide more nutrition. Here are some foods I like to have on hand: canned tuna, old fashioned oats, fruit, cheese sticks, fiber one bars, greek yogurt or kefir drinks, peanut butter, frozen shrimp, canned black beans, corn tortillas, and ingredients for my own "super smoothie!" Add me if you want a friend to help decide what to eat, or just for motivation. But bottom line, you can do this. Many, many people eat moderately and pretty healthily every day. Good luck!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Don't get overwhelmed ! Just remember this one piece of information and you'll be fine, all it takes to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
    As long as you are creating a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.
    Calories in calories out.

Another tidbit of advice would be not to fall for the scams and fads. You don't need multi level marketing items, low carb diet,keto , Paleo , or whatever else is the fad of the week. All you need to do is create a calorie deficit for weight loss.

After you get used to eating less, then you can worry about balancing your diet and hitting micros and macros for health ( your macros have nothing to do with weight loss) a well balanced diet is good for obvious reasons.

Get yourself a food scale. Learn how to weigh your solids. Measure liquids. Log them on this site.

Best of luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You choose a direction and take a step. Choose one aspect to focus on until you master it. Here are a few to choose from.

-Eat five servings of veggies a day

-log everything

-exercise 10 minutes every day (or 10 more)

-figure out what your triggers are. Did you already put an extra candy bar in your mouth? Why? Were you bored? Sad? Lonely? Excited? Do you love candy bars and told yourself you can never have another and now they have power over you?

I generally set a goal or two (ie, one nutrition, one fitness) a week when I am on my game, but sometimes a goal has to be rolled over into a new week.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I would say set small goals. For me my goal right now is to get out of the 260s. If you look at the big picture of all you have to lose of course it is overwhelming. I need to lose 100+ pounds as well. Celebrate the small successes. Any loss is better than where you are at right now, right? Take measurements that will also help. I also have spent my whole life to to dieting. Also invest in a scale. I didn’t at first. Most stuff I would measure using measuring cups but stuff like creamer I was eyeballing until I realized I was probably adding a 1.2 cup of cream to my coffe instead of it being 3 tablespoons which isn’t that much. Yikes.