Break up appetite - under and over eating

Options
Hi All,

I am processing a horrendous break up that began Christmas Eve, and we lived together so we are still in contact as we have to get tenancy changed and I have been sofa hopping so very stressful.

Since Christmas when it all happened up until last week, I completely lost my appetite and lost about a stone (14 pounds) which was very welcome. It is a lower weight for me but one which I am happier and more confident at, however my now ex does not like it. The more he arugued the issue, the less I cared about trying to increase my appetite.

However, the last week has been very difficult, and it's almost as if it's switched. Suddenly my appetite is back with vengeance! Now side bar - I am a recovered binge eater so I have to be very careful and in tune with myself in order to stay in a healthy minded place. However, I am nervous I am slipping.

Basically, I want to keep this weight off, but I know I need to start eating properly again. I'm up about 4 pounds and am now 9 stone (126) which is a perfect wieght for me. I just don't know how to stay here. I do like to run a 5k a few times a week, but haven't been able to because of the areas iv been staying.

I'd really welcome any advice from anyone who's been in similar situation. I almost feel ashamed that I have my appetite back when I'm still in so much emotional pain!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i go through this with heartbreak too. breakups or mourning will destroy my appetite for a while and then it will kick back into high gear after a while. i'm sorry for your pain.

the best advice i have is to stick to your goals as often as possible. track as accurately as possible. and cut yourself some slack. if you have a binge meal don't let it become a binge day / week. it's natural to be hungry after a period of restriction. i find that cardio helps tremendously in periods of emotional strife. it wears out my body which allows me to get needed sleep, it raises my endorphin levels which gives me some mental clarity and i'm less likely to make blow my goals when i've put out a lot of energy into exercising.

good luck, and i hope you get your living situation sorted soon.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    With such a quick weight loss, it's likely a good bit of it was water, and the water will come back quickly, whatever you do. So
    Just try to get hold of your eating, and don't stress over the scales. Sounds like you have plenty of other stress without it. I've
    Never had an eating disorder, so I don't really know how to handle it, but would pre-logging, then trying to stick with it help?
    What about having lots of low cal munchies readily available, like baby carrots, celery already cleaned and ready to eat. Maybe
    Plan lots of veggies and pre-log a couple hundred calories under your goal, so when you really get stressed you have some
    Extra room. I don't know if any of this helps, just trying to think out loud about possibilities.

Oh, just thought--perfect time for diet soup. Make lots--good comfort food.
    My favorite is a chopped onion, green beans, carrots, cabbage and seasoning.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Finding your balance is good, necessary and difficult. It takes discipline to eat regularly, not just to eat less. Make an effort to have regular meals. Plan and schedule meals, just decide times that fit into your day. Get into a routine again, where eating is okay. Your meals don't have to be elaborate. But they should be appealing. Good food can soothe you. But you don't want to eat instead of dealing with painful emotions. I hope you're feeling better soon.