Other experience fluoxetine appetite

Options
I’m doing a little research about the effects of fluoxetine (Prozac) on appetite. I have a family member who went onto fluoxetine and they gained a lot of weight. Yet I have read it can help with depression related over eating. I wonder what other’s experiences have been like and if you would mind sharing. Thank you!

Replies

• duckyk3895
    duckyk3895 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    hi :)
    i think the experience varies quite a lot from person to person with that one.
    I was on this for about a year and a half a while back and for me it completely surpressed my appetite to the point i could barely eat. That lasted about 2 months for me and then everything went back to normal. Spoke to doctors at the time who said that was perfectly normal.
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Thank you for replying ducky. Are you someone who looses your appetite easily? I love food so dampening my appetite wouldn’t do any harm, ramping it up would.

More importantly did your mood improve? Any other the side effects?
  • BrieGoorts
    BrieGoorts Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been on fluoxetine for roughly 7years.
    There have been times where I've gone off of it and I am a completely different person. So my mood improves dramatically while on it.
    As for weight gain/loss and appetite, I've not really experienced any differences.
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Interesting.
  • Jessiemax761
    Jessiemax761 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight from anti depressants. It was very weird I found myself craving creamy pastas and high carb foods, things that I had never naturally been drawn too. A Dr told me that lots of people apparently gain weight from then but again it is individual. As the Dr said you end up being even more depressed from the weight gain.
    Options
    Hi Jessie, sorry to hear that (presuming it was unwanted weight gai ).

May I ask which antidepressant you were on, I know some are certainly known for their weight increasing effects.

Fluoxetine specifically is used in binge eating disorder too (which I’m also prone to) , but i really don’t want anything that turns my appetite up, but feeling flat in mood does so catch 22, hence my research prior to trialling.
  • kazz882
    kazz882 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi I take fluoxetine for perimenopause, I’ve been on it since Oct and initially I lost more weight as it seemed to stop me craving. That only lasted a couple of weeks sadly! Kind of struggling with overeating at the moment but don’t know if that’s anything to do with meds or just need to get a grip and get back on track. I feel like it’s keeping me on an even keel mood wise and any side effects have been mild and didn’t last long, overall I am happy to keep taking it and I’m sure my family are happier without my crazy mood swings!
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have been on it on the past. It never messed eith my appetite, but everyone is different.