Entering Exercise Calories - AppleWatch not working...

Options
I can't seem to get workouts from my AppleWatch to synch into My Fitness Pal, support's only recommendation is to delete and re-install and make sure the workouts are from a specific list (mine are on the list).

So, I'm resorted to manually entering them after a workout. The question I have is whether one should enter the total calories shown in "Activity" or just "Active Calories"?

Separately, if anyone has figured out how to get the workouts to sync on a current version AppleWatch (series, 3, OS 40 and iPhone x, please let me know what you did to get it work.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you're entering manually, use just active calories. What are you naming your exercises? Some of them don't currently sync: HIIT, mixed cardio, and cross-training being the three I know of personally. Workouts that you leave unnamed as "other" always sync for me, as do the other "default" options (running, walking, etc). Otherwise, I'd make sure you've linked everything correctly - steps and workouts get linked separately. I wrote out an FAQ here that hopefully includes all the steps: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636432/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-apple-watch-3

ETA: I just saw that I missed your comment about checking the list - if you are looking at MFP's page, it is really out of date the last time I checked.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Just Active Cals not Total from your finished workout screen.

It's technically Apple Health app that you connect, not the Watch or Activity app.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Oh and I've honestly forgotten how I got started, and my setup works but the app doesn't even say we are connected any more and it's always been a bit buggy. A good place to ask would be the Apple Watch subreddit tbh.
  • jon8240
    jon8240 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MegaMoose I read your post and have done everything you indicated. The workouts that I've completed which don't synch include Indoor Swim, Other and Indoor Cycle. I never name the workouts. Any other thoughts/tricks to get them to sync?
  • jon8240
    Options
    One thing I noticed in Health is that my fitness pal does not show links to Active Energy or Workouts. If it doesn't show workouts how can it get one? I don't see a way of choosing that, the only options are Steps and Walking+Running Distance.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Hm, that’s obnoxious. At this point, I’d try the delete and start over route. Annoying, but you won’t lose any data since that’s all saved on MFP or the activity app.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    jon8240 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed in Health is that my fitness pal does not show links to Active Energy or Workouts. If it doesn't show workouts how can it get one? I don't see a way of choosing that, the only options are Steps and Walking+Running Distance.

Oh hey, I missed this comment. Any chance you can screenshot that?
  • jon8240
    Options
    Just to close the loop on this thread, the problem is that you have to go into the MyFitnessPals app, go to Settings, Security & Privacy and setup all the links to Health there. Doing it from Health will only get you steps.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    jon8240 wrote: »
    Just to close the loop on this thread, the problem is that you have to go into the MyFitnessPals app, go to Settings, Security & Privacy and setup all the links to Health there. Doing it from Health will only get you steps.

Hey Jon, I'm really glad that it's working for you now! I was trying to recreate what you did and am having a hard time of it, though. When I go to settings on the MFP app and select "sharing & privacy" the only option that has anything to do with health is "HealthKit Sharing", which gives me a popup telling me to open Health and set it up there. All of the other options have to do with MFP specific settings, like your email and Facebook. Can you describe more specifically what you mean, or paste a screenshot? Thanks!
  • jon8240
    Options
    Weird, once its working then you get that screen that you are talking about that says to make the changes in Health. Beforehand you have to turn things on.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    It's a hot mess, is what it is, but you'll stumble onto the right settings at some point.