Need some help with consistency and motivation.

Options
I am a 26 year old woman with hypothyroidism, anxiety, no gallbladder and fibromyalgia. I have been overweight most of my life, despite being active as a child. I need help to first curb my eating habits, which currently are terrible. High fat, lots of processed crap, few veggies. I know it's a bad diet, and I'm tired of feeling guilty all of the time because of it. I'm looking for for friends who enjoy motivating others to stay on track. Please and thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Start with just eating a bit less, then work in a bit more fruit and veg
  • spacetraveller07
    spacetraveller07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's a little difficult because my husband refuses to eat most vegetables. I have to remind myself that we don't have to eat the same meals
  • cangar
    cangar Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hello, I'd say do EVERYTHING you can to motivate yourself....a lot of this is MENTAL...so I have a vision board that sits on my couch EVERYDAY so I can have a visual and constant reminder why I need to be healthy. I also have an accountability partner...losing weight is EXTREMELY hard and it takes a lot to do it alone. So my friend and I started a Facebook group for our friends and family to keep each other encouraged. It's private so no one else can see our pictures or videos or comments to each other, just the people in our group. Also, I'd recommend getting a supplement like a vitamin to give your ENERGY...I get up every morning at 5:30 to do a 30 minute workout right in my kitchen. I have apps on my Amazon stick and watch YouTube workout videos for FREE on my TV (well except for the internet bill :smiley: ) But I decided this time, I CANNOT make any more excuses....it's either NOW or never because I am tired of doing the same thing YEAR AFTER YEAR And never see a change...it HAS To start with me....there are people who have way worse conditions and DONT make excuses. If people in your household are distracting you,YOU HAVE to put your foot down and say that you're trying to save your life and if they want you around for a long YOU HAVE TO START CHANGING or it will take it's toll down the road GUARANTEED!!! So I hope this helps because I've been where you are and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, CHANGE!!!
  • twotoedturbosloth
    Options
    Hey fellow fibro sufferer! :P

I've found that with fibro you should work for reasonable goals and keep in a zone where you will not flare up. Increase your workout really slowly and steadily and you can keep from the infamous flares that will set you back.

As for food, track everything and don't cheat. I've found the best way to add fruits and veggies is to get an easy to use blender(I use a nutribullet) or juicer, find a recipe or two that sounds ok to you and go from there. For instance I try to drink a spinach(2-4 handfuls, strawberry(1cup), banana(1 whole), 1 cup oj, top with water smoothie every day. Sometimes I add other things to it like chia seeds or blueberries but it at least ensures that I'm getting a decent serving everyday. You can add additional stuff as you see fit. For snacks, I try to stick to things like baby carrots, cashews, and pumpkin seeds. Your food cravings will get better if you discipline yourself and substitute in nutrient dense foods.

I also run a fibro discord for social interaction and encouragement if you feel like stopping by.

Best of luck!
  • amks3818
    amks3818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I to suffer from fibromyalgia and have been struggling with my weight. I have been trying to keep my food under control. Working out has been another challenge all together. For the past few month I have not been able to find the motivation to push through the pain to workout. I know I just need to do it but I always find an excuse not to. I have been thinking about making some shakes to drink and the spinach one sounds interesting. I might have to try that.