3-4 hours of exercise per day?

Options
Is it ok to do 3-4 hours of exercise per day if its light? I recently moved beachside and have been considering taking long, slow-paced walks on the beach every morning and night for stress relievers.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Of course. Walk away.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    If I include walking I easily do 3-4 hours exercise a day and I'm fine! Walking on the beach sounds divine.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing. I love walking along the beach, the sound of the waves coming in is so calming.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would caution to be realistic on workouts. Don't start with 4 hours of beach walking. Not everyone can fit 28 hours of exercise a week and that is ok...you don't have to exercise that much to lose weight.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    It's February on the Canadian prairies here - I'd be camping out on that beach in a heartbeat
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body and enjoy!!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to do 3-4 hours of exercise per day if its light? I recently moved beachside and have been considering taking long, slow-paced walks on the beach every morning and night for stress relievers.

Listen to your body - if it's light exercise you'll most likely be fine. It will reduce stress levels for sure
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I live near the beach and take my pup for an hour walk in the morning and then again in the evening, I carry him a lot of the way because he's still little. When he's old enough we'll easily do 3 or more hours a day. I can't wait!!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Some people have very physical jobs and do them 8-10 hours a day.
  • MoreFitLessFat
    MoreFitLessFat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is best when it comes to cardio to do a lot of time with less effort. But if we are talking about bulking up and gaining muscle, it's the other way around
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Should be fine.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is best when it comes to cardio to do a lot of time with less effort. But if we are talking about bulking up and gaining muscle, it's the other way around

haha :) am not trying to bulk. Been going through a lot of stress lately with a very toxic break-up. He stole my vehicle, my money, my school supplies, and a few personal items. Even his mother was harassing me to leave her son alone when I tried getting onto him about it. He's her only child. To add to that, my last grandparent in hospice :( I need to relieve the stress somehow without going through pints of B&J. I don't want to overexercise either but if beach walking is fine then that's great. I already started a day ago and its very peaceful outside.
  • BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Walking on the beach is an excellent way to relieve stress :)
    I started taking long walks in my Pacific Northwest beautiful neighborhood over a year ago after a miscarriage + stressful season at work. I couldn't run for several weeks, so I walked and breathed deeply.
    I appreciate feeling fully immersed in nature.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Considering our ancestors evolved to travel long distances by foot it's hard to foresee a problem with long walks at a gentle pace. If you have been relatively sedentary for an extended period of time I'd probably want to start slow and build up, especially if you're going to be walking on loose sand vs more firmly packed surfaces, it does take a little more exertion (I liken it to running or walking in the snow but with fewer clothes needed).

With tonight's low in the -20s consider me jealous......