Lymphademia,cancer,and surgery disfigurement

Options
Any one else dealing with the same issues lymphademia? How do u handle it and what excercise helps?

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    We used to teach some cancer and stroke patients to a gentle long stroke massage of their limb from the distal portion towards the torso. Also gentle light exercise and movement of the limb may help. elevating the limb above the level of the heart is also something we used to do and encourage the patients to continue. you can also use wraps that start at your toes or fingers and extend all the way up to the hip or shoulder. There is a technique to the wrapping so you should be taught how to do it. Nowadays there are intermittent pressure pumps that do basically the same thing as the massage technique mentioned earlier.

Regarding exercises; any movement of all of the muscles in the affected limb helps but keep it light and gentle. Squeezing a tennis ball for the hand muscles and wrist. Light dumbells or resistance bands to work the biceps and triceps

Also take really good care of the skin on the affected limb. The edema can make the skin fragile and easily injured.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have lymphodema of the breast following breast cancer surgery and manage it with massage (lymph nodes etc). A local hospice offered a massage programme using a vibrating tool which really helped. Be sure to take advice on massage techniques that you can apply yourself and use them regularly - they can and do often help a great deal.
  • 19RoRo98
    19RoRo98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i also have a question...2 years ago i had 2/3 of my right lung removed due to cancer...i've been in a recliner ever since (depression, lazy, difficulty breathing etc...) i need to get started again slowly...anyone have suggestions for in home ways to start exercise and healthy eating (not supposed to go into public due to compromised immune system) ~ keeping in mind that the 25 feet to the bathroom starts me on a coughing fit! PLEASE HELP...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    19RoRo98 wrote: »
    i also have a question...2 years ago i had 2/3 of my right lung removed due to cancer...i've been in a recliner ever since (depression, lazy, difficulty breathing etc...) i need to get started again slowly...anyone have suggestions for in home ways to start exercise and healthy eating (not supposed to go into public due to compromised immune system) ~ keeping in mind that the 25 feet to the bathroom starts me on a coughing fit! PLEASE HELP...

Have you tried YouTube? If you search there for "chair exercises", there are some that are very gentle, that might be a place to start. Depending on the nature of your physical challenges, you might have to watch some to pick and choose things that would work for you.

If you want something that is more standing-oriented, you should be able to find other exercises that are gentle, titled as being for rehab, obese people or seniors - I'm not saying you are those things, just that that's how mild exercises are often "advertised".

Also, you might check with your medical team, even just a phone call or email, to see if any if them know of rehab resources.

Congratulations on your determination to improve your physical situation, and best wishes for excellent progress!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    19RoRo98 wrote: »

You are dealing with a lot! Adding healthful things that you enjoy might be a way to start with the healthy eating goes. With the movement piece, I wonder if chair yoga would be a place to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8BsLlPE1m4
  • 19RoRo98
    19RoRo98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the kind words...and the great advice!! I will begin my journey as soon as possible...please, everyone, keep the advice and suggestions coming! I am looking forward to improving my health and losing the 35 lbs i've gained in the last year alone! XOXOX :) Thanks again!