I'm thinking of going to a weight loss resort, thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Never thought about it because I couldn't afford the cost nor the time off from work. BUT given your situation and your recent windfall of free time and money funds it might be something to consider.

However, you have said that you believe you can lose the weight on your own. The camp is only temporary and when you return to normal life, what then?
    I think what I would do is take some of the money that it would cost to do the camp, which is quite a little bit, and spend that money on things that will help you live a healthier lifestyle on your own. Buy the tools that can help and that you will be able to use for years to come. Buy a food scale, buy a heart rate monitor, buy some home fitness equipment, buy a gym membership, buy a bike, buy workout clothes....etc. This would be a treat to you and would help set you out on the lifestyle change journey....
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I wish i was rich. lol Why dont you find a gym around you to join and make it a life change commitment not just for a week or two. If you do go just try and take everything from it and try to do it at home.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I really wish people wouldn't go on these things. They don't teach you to live it in real life.

You'd be better off spending that money on a good trainer and a nutritionist (that may be covered through insurance) and maybe get a few good healthy cook books.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Frankly, if I were you, I'd take the option of a trip to Europe (or anywhere interesting, really) over a weight loss resort. Because basically, this needs to be a long-term lifestyle change, not a quick fix, so anything you achieve over that period of several weeks will, at best, give you a bit of a head-start which you then need to build upon and maintain; or at worst end up not being sustainable and you'll have to do all that work over again. And it'll cost you a fortune, and it'll be incredibly dull, all to achieve something you could have done for yourself anyway.

A trip, on the other hand, would give you a set of memories and experiences you wouldn't get any other way. How about taking an active sort of trip (Google "European Walking Holiday", for instance, and you'll find loads of stuff) which would help to support your weight loss whilst also opening more horizons?
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I asked!!! A lot of really great ideas, and I think I've nixed that idea. Spendng the money on a trainer, nutritionist, gym membership and fitness equipment makes the most sense. I think a trip is in order!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Great conclusion I wish you the best on your fitness and personal goals!
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    I think you should go if you have the money and it's what you want. From your post I think you know that it's a "trip/vacation" and won't be like real life, since when are vacations ever real life? But I think it's great to get a way and have time just to yourself and your goals. Plus you'll be around inspiring and movitaional people in that environment who can help you let go of the past and grasp the future. I have wanted to go on a yoga retreat forever but haven't been able to afford it yet. You could probably even find one of these retreats in a vacation spot like the caribbean so then you get a healthy vacation and a jumpstart to your new lifestyle.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    (Google "European Walking Holiday", for instance, and you'll find loads of stuff) which would help to support your weight loss whilst also opening more horizons?

I love you. This is perfect!!!!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    BL-Fitness Ridge-

California Rates
    Private Accommodations

A guestroom all to yourself.
    One Week: $2,695
    Four Weeks: $10,000 ($2,500 weekly rate)
    Semi-Private Accommodations

A private bedroom with a shared bathroom.
    One Week: $2,595
    Four Weeks: $9,600 ($2,400 weekly rate)
    Double Occupancy Accommodations

All rooms have one Queen sized bed.
    A double occupancy guestroom is available for guests sharing a room with their spouse or partner.
    One Week: $2,295
    Four Weeks: $8,400 ($2,100 weekly rate)
    Off-site Accommodations

You stay off-site in accommodations you arrange for yourself.
    One Week: $1,995
    Four Weeks: $7,200 ($1,800 weekly rate)

HOLY CRAP!!!
    *breaths*
    ok, Im ok.... As much as I would LOVE to.. I dont know that I could spend the money on that... I would rather invest in a great gym membership or buy myself a couple great work out machines. Esp for something that I know I could do on my own.

Good luck!!

...a week costs more than i make a MONTH. BEFORE taxes. cripes.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a real weight system, and get a house big enough to put it in....
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend and I went to a "spa" several years ago-as a vacation, called The Oaks in Ojai, CA. Turns out it is also set up for weight loss. So while I might not want to go to a weight loss farm, this was a vacation with the added benefit that healthy options were the norm. Good luck with whatever you decide. I think you're wise to take some of the funds to take care of yourself. A break-up/divorce takes its toll fersher.
  • jon_brady
    jon_brady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    do some soul searching and figure out what will mean the most to you. I Have an entire garage full of workout equipment everything from an eliptical to 600lds of free weights. I have a gym membership and a trainer I see twice a week and I have lost 2lbs all said and done since January.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I'm so glad I asked!!! A lot of really great ideas, and I think I've nixed that idea. Spendng the money on a trainer, nutritionist, gym membership and fitness equipment makes the most sense. I think a trip is in order!

^^Great plan. I would recommend starting with the nutritionist and gym membership. You may find when you start at your gym that they have great classes that keep your attention and jump start your healthy new life. If you go for a while and still need the extra push, then spend some money on a trainer. Splurge on great work out shoes and clothing and an awesome heart rate monitor to really track your burns. Good luck to you!!!