Plateaus

Options
Same weight for the last two weeks. Is this a platue. Should I change up my diet or exercise? I'm 183 down from 198.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would do is make sure you weigh everything you eat. Many times our food logging gets a bit relaxed and we end up eating more than we think.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A plateau is at least 4 weeks without movement. Stalls like this happen all the time and can be caused by a host of things. But if you follow @usmcmp ‘s advice above, you can make sure it’s not coming from eating too much.
  • aik633
    aik633 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If the plateau lasts a really long time like multiple weeks that means that you're eating at maintenance and should decrease calories.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Could it be time of the month related? I can sometimes stall the entire week before and the week of. Other wise, you may have gotten relaxed with your logging ( we all do sometimes!). When I see a stall that is not related to the above I switch up my cardio. It sounds like a lot of woo, but it does seem to wake me up, so to speak. I would guess that doing so is just helping me create the deficit I need, may be because I'm working harder on something new.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I am 5'7", started around 175 and am now at 164.... where I have been for weeks. I lost 11 pounds in January, but the scale has not moved at all in over TWO weeks. I weigh everything with a digital food scale and am definitely eating less than 1200 calories a day. I quit caffeine. No breads, no pasta, no junk food. All lean meats, veggies, and some fruit. If that scale doesn't start moving again soon I may take it out back and run over it with my suv! :'(:'(:'(
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    ehb2bq49tgbg.jpg
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen. Gains happen. Losses happen.

Trust the process, and stick to it, eventually your body will catch back up. It has it's own unique cycles it goes through.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Since you have lost over 10 lbs you need to reset your goals in MFP. It will lower the calories you can eat and still lose weight. I started with a goal of losing 1.5 lbs a week and then stopped losing, so I played around with my goals and changed it and changed it back and it lowered my total calories allowed. That was disappointing, but it makes sense because I weighed less. I eventually changed it to 1 lb a week because 1.5 was too hard.

Also sometimes you need to switch things up or have a diet break day and it will get weight loss moving again. I have seen this happen to me multiple times. I’ve been stuck at a 59 lb loss for a couple of weeks. I took a diet break on Saturday and I’m hoping it will kick things in again. It’s worked in the past so hopefully it will work again.