Tai Restaurant Help

Options
I'm a bit nervous - my office is taking a company outing to a Tai restaurant for lunch. Any recommendations on types of things to order to keep the sodium and calories reasonably under control?

Thanks in advance!
Kenny

Replies

• Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Seafood!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    maybe eat only half of what they serve you?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The sodium will be out of control no matter what. Just drink lots of water before and after. Tom Yum Soup is very low cal and a sure bet. There are usually lots of salads too, just get the dressing on the side. Like someone else said, seafood is good if they cook it right. My favorite Thai place does a lot of grilled shrimp, grilled fish, etc. making it a good choice.

I usually order drunken noodle and only eat half. The restaurant I usually go to serves moderate (not huge) portions and I roughly figure half of the noodle plate is about 400-500 calories. If you want a noodle dish, poke around online and on the MFP database to get an idea of how many calories something is. That way, if you know you want pad thai and it tends to run at 1,000 calories, you know you can eat half for 500. Just watch out for the sauces!!!
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    garlic squid, veggie curry (with TOFU), eat half the portion of rice they give you, and drink lots of water. I love anything thai and seafood! I'm actually making my own curry tonight with tofu, pineapple, bamboo shoots, and brown rice. :) enjoy!
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to always get Steamed Cod with Ginger and a mango salad from the (sadly departed) Thai takeaway near me; if they have anything like that it should be pretty OK.