Too much Tuna?

Options
Is eating tuna most days alright?

I have about 45g every day or two as its my go to for a good sandwich.

I use it canned in Spring water.

My goal is weight loss, I dont do much cardio but more free weight training

(24yrs. 69kgs, 165cm tall)

Any advice or tips would be great as I have heard from multiple sources you shouldnt eat that much.

Thanks!

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The biggest concern is the amount of mercury you could be consuming. Try changing it up with Salmon, Tilapia, or Trout. If you have a local meat market that would be your best bet. You can also can your own if you have the ability to catch your own fish. There is nothing better than fresh wild caught smoked canned trout. MMMMMM.
  • buggsby83
    buggsby83 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wish I could eat tuna every day. It's so easy and tasty to bring to work for lunch... But you're right having too much fish in your diet might become more of a health hazard than anything else. Different fish have different mercury levels I believe, so gearhead's suggestion to change up the type of fish you eat during the week was a good one.

Getting it canned in water is the best though so good job there!
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Safe Catch has the lowest mercury content. I've tried it, it's good but expensive, about $3+ a can. But it's your health, right? And if you can get a meal for $3, that's not too bad. It's just when you compare it to $1 for Star Kist pouch that it looks really bad. Google for more info, but if you like tuna, it's the way to go.

Safe Catch is a company that produces tuna the safe way. The Californian company’s canned tuna has the lowest mercury of any brand as they are the only tuna company that tests every fish they catch.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Safe Catch has the lowest mercury content. I've tried it, it's good but expensive, about $3+ a can. But it's your health, right? And if you can get a meal for $3, that's not too bad. It's just when you compare it to $1 for Star Kist pouch that it looks really bad. Google for more info, but if you like tuna, it's the way to go.

Safe Catch is a company that produces tuna the safe way. The Californian company’s canned tuna has the lowest mercury of any brand as they are the only tuna company that tests every fish they catch.

My husband was eating tuna every weekday for lunch. I encouraged him to stop because I wasn't sure about the mercury question. Thanks for telling us about this company. I'm going to see if I can get this brand for my hubs.