Shin Splints

Options
LeaMarie8031
LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been having a problem with shin splints for a long time. Always gets in the way of my cardio and keeps me from going as long as I'd like to or as fast as I'd like to. For me, walking faster than a pace of 2.5 starts the flare up that doesn't stop. I've heard, " Oh its just cause your not used to exercising". Well, I may not exercise all the time but I'm definitely used to walking. I could be walking everyday for a few weeks and no matter what, once i start walking faster, shin splints, and I have to slow down or I will feel like my legs are going to explode. I really don't know what to do, or if there's even anything I can do.

Replies

• J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints pretty bad, all I can say from my experience is that eventually they go away.

The simple quick solution will be to find another form of cardio such as cycling, swimming or rowing, even the elliptical.

But if your heart is set on walking fast / jogging / running then all you can do is get used to the pain and push on for a bit. Let your body recover and go again.

A large part of running is getting used to discomfort in my experience, blisters, chafing on the thighs, nipples rubbing against your running shirt, pain in the shins, pain in the hips, being out of breath, hitting the wall.

The list goes on. The trick is finding out which pain is merely discomfort and you can push through, and which is 'oh I should probably stop for the day'.

As you get more proficient at running and fitter, the pain decreases until one day you've run 8 miles, it felt easy and you are like "that was awesome!". But getting there can be a grind!

• activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Part of my problem when I got shin splits was....

*kitten* shoes-I got a good pair of running shoes. Aesics or however you spell it..

Next, I was overweight and it didn’t help. Once I lost quite a bit it helped.

Last, I noticed on cement I got it more than on a treadmill.

Maybe that could help you. Biggest help was different shoes and losing weight.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @LeaMarie8031 Shoes Number one issue for me. On outings greater than 10km if I get any shin discomfort the shoes are done and due for replacement. I have some shoes where you look at the tread pattern and they look brand new. My log showed only 300km on them but they had some type of internal structural failure/damage. Replaced them and everything was fine.

Have you had a shoe fitting at a specialized Running store? They will do a multipoint analysis, barefoot standing foot position, videotaped walking and running on a treadmill to get a slow motion replay of foot position on takeoff and landing. Then they have you try differant shoes and do a walk around the store, concentrate on Toe room ( not scrunched up, heel lock, ball of foot, arch position ) You will probably try on 6-12 pairs and have 2-4 favorites. Take them for a walk/run on the treadmill. The one that feels right should probably be going home with you. Write down the model/sizes of all the shoes in your favorites as it will give you a starting point when you need new shoes. Check there return policy, I had a pair of Trail Shoes where the heel cup failed. They were a year old with only 80 km on them and my store took one look at the tread wear pattern and my Strava log and replaced them. Search out a local running club on FB and ask them for store recommendations in your area.

If you think about shoes differant shoes are required for differant jobs.
    A ballerina and ballroom dancer have completely differant footwear even those they are both dancers.
    A rock climber has differant shoes than an Ice Climber. Downhill skiing - cross country skiing etc etc.
    Running and walking are differant than weight lifting.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for proper walking shoes.
    Do some lower leg exercises like toe and heel raises and calf stretches.
    Increase your speed and distance only a little at a time. I think 10% increase in distance per week is what's generally recommend.
  • justeank
    justeank Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A +1 on the shoes. I've had shin splints off and on and every time it is solved by changing up my shoes. Either what I was wearing was not appropriate or they had just worn out. Also, I am quite the princess with the weight of my shoe and need a very light shoe to not experience shin splints.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Before you run off to a running store.. try wearing an ordinary pair of "zero heel" shoes, such as Keds, Converse, Vans, skateboard shoes, etc. Over 90% of shoes - including "walking shoes" - have a raised heel, which puts more strain on the shins when walking fast. I can explain how if you like hearing boring anatomical explanations.

Where on your shins does it hurt - on the inner half or outer half?
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had terribly painful shin splints. The pain was so bad I went to the doctor. He sent me to a physical therapist who said the cause was super tight calf muscles. I worked with the physical therapist for a few weeks and now I can run again. It's expensive but worth it!
  • LeaMarie8031
    LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'll start trying different shoes before I go onto the more expensive routes.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll start trying different shoes before I go onto the more expensive routes.

I think you're chasing your tail a bit here. A good running store will either watch how you walk or have you run on a treadmill while they watch. They can then recommend a shoe based on what kind of support you need.

I had "good" shoes that were not particularly cheap, but didn't offer the support I need. I now run in the basic Asics, but they give me the stability I need and no more shin splints (I had them bad for a bit before changing shoes). Just bought a new pair for $75 CDN (on sale) so they were a fair bit cheaper than the pair that didn't work for me.
  • runfiremamarun
    runfiremamarun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually caused by an increase in pressure within the calf muscles. “Tight muscles” cause stress to the interosseous membrane that stabilized the tibia and the fibula.
    Get a massage! Awesome leg work on the posterior and anterior ( back and front) of the leg can help release that pressure. (Also good for plantar facitis too) Strenthening those muscles is good as well. Easiest thing is to spell the alphabet with your feet in the air. :)

Make sure you get good shoes too, just like has already been said.

Pay attention to your walking/running. Do you catch yourself keeping your toes in a flexed, toes up, position? As you push off the ground with your big toe, you should allow the foot to go into a relaxed state. The tibialis anterior relaxes, the tibialis posterior will then to its job by preparing the foot to land and the anterior will be able to do its job again, pushing off the ground. Make sense?

Happy running! Happy health! And seriously, get a good massage!
  • tracylp6178
    tracylp6178 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try putting Dr.Scholl inserts in your sneakers. They have ones specifically for shin splints. That did the trick for my shin splints. They are cheap enough to give it a shot before buying new sneakers.