Want to lift heavy at home- how/where to start?

Hi there. I just wanted to ask what equipment do I need for starters to start lifting weights at home (I’m a lady)? Can anyone recommend a routine? I can’t go to the gym as when I’m not at work, I have my children. :)

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    That depends by what you mean by "heavy", but a good start would be a bench, olympic barbell and plates, that should allow you to do the basic compound movements (squats, bench, deadlift, overhead press and rows). At some point you may want to look into a rack for heavier weight. As for programs, look into Stronglifts 5x5, I've heard good things about Starting Strength.

Good luck
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Have you lifted before? Are you looking to invest in a barbell, plates and a rack? Or dumbbells? Could you be more specific with what you want?
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks everyone. No, I haven’t lifted anything before bar some bigger dumbbells (I think they are in the loft!). I used to do boot camp so have done quite a lot of burpees, lunges, planks, squats etc. in the past. I tend to be fat skinny when I lose weight- just want to look more lean and also to have a bum (which is completely flat at the moment
  • BearSong
    BearSong Posts: 2 Member
    I would recommend using Fitness Blender for a routine! They have over 500 workout videos on youtube (aka absolutely free and can be done at home) and they range from light stretching sessions to intense HIIT and strength workouts.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    If you’re looking for a bigger bum, Strong Curves is a great program!
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    I lift heavy at home, and I love it, will try and give some suggestions later when I have a few minutes.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    aliblain wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. No, I haven’t lifted anything before bar some bigger dumbbells (I think they are in the loft!). I used to do boot camp so have done quite a lot of burpees, lunges, planks, squats etc. in the past. I tend to be fat skinny when I lose weight- just want to look more lean and also to have a bum (which is completely flat at the moment

Perhaps start with a set of adjustable dumbbells? If you're not going to go full ham and buy plates and rack, you at least want your dumbbells to get heavy. You don't want to be goblet squatting with the same weight you bicep curl or over head pressing with what you tricep kickback.

You can build glutes with dumbbells and body weight work, especially if you add in some resistance bands. Then, if you find you really love it, you can invest in some more equipment.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    bribucks wrote: »
    If you’re looking for a bigger bum, Strong Curves is a great program!

Yea Strong Curves is a great program to run at home, it is very adaptable to what you have available . There is even a bodyweight program you can start with little to no equipment.
  • aliblain
    Great, thank you for the suggestions folks!
  • aliblain
    P.s. would this be worth buying?
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    I have this Powerblock that gives me 3-24 pound weights.
    I LOVE them !!
    Love how quickly you can switch from one weight to another which is very practical when you're following a program like Hammer and Chisel which requires you to use different weights back and forth for different exercise series. Which i also love btw
    ;)

7vwjo2othnzg.png
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited February 2018
    You'll want a safety rack.

It may be better to look into a body weight or Kettlebell program that can be conducted indoors/outdoors without needing as much extra equipment as a barbell program.

There are lots of good programs for each, but they boil down to

BW: Squats/Deadlifts/variations and Pushups/pullups/rows/variations. Examples include: Convict conditioning/You are your own gym/naked warrior/DDP Yoga

KettleBell: Turkish Getups/Swings. And again, you'll want a good program to ensure you're self-checking form. Anything from Dragon Door/RKC or Strongfirst is a good start.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    I recommend Strong Curves as well. I'm currently running the bodyweight program at home and despite today only being the first day of my third week, I am already feeling much stronger! So far I've been able to extend reps for certain exercises and am getting much closer to my goal of being able to do a full pushup (something I've never really been able to do due to lack of muscle).