How long can I keep cut up baked chicken in the fridge?

Options
I want to meal prep and basically all I eat is chicken and instant white rice. How long can I keep cut up baked or fried chicken breast in the fridge before it goes bad?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2-3 days
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a 72 hour rule for leftovers...
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I would eat chicken up to 4 days later lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy containers so that after cooking you can cut up the chicken and put it in the freezer.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I meal prep I typically cook 5 days worth of meals at once. So I would say 5 days if you are leaving it refrigerated. Now sometimes I will meal prep 3 meals for 7 days and then I will stack them together and freeze them. I can just grab a stack from the freezer the night before and place it in the fridge and grab it on my way out for work.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    woah.... 2-3 days?? lmao, I save leftovers in the fridge for 5 to 7 days :o Just make sure it's in an air tight container and that you have a well functioning fridge.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The FDA recommends that 3 to 4 days is the max for cooked poultry in the fridge
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would leave two days in the fridge, put the rest in the freezer, and add some vegetables and fat.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If it's unseasoned, you could do the smell test before eating. By the way, I heard Lynne Rossetto Kasper (from the splendid table) say that if you store your cooked chicken in its juices (i.e., pan drippings, or broth) it keeps better in fridge.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    woah.... 2-3 days?? lmao, I save leftovers in the fridge for 5 to 7 days :o Just make sure it's in an air tight container and that you have a well functioning fridge.
    Lol, I've done the same as well.

• dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    People meal prep for an entire week. Do you think they throw the stuff out after 2 or 3 days? No, they eat it.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    For chicken, if it doesn't get eaten on day 4 it goes in the freezer (if I remember).
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I would eat chicken up to 4 days later lol

Me too
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

im a 5 dayer
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Until it smells bad or turns green. LOL!

Seriously, if you don't think you'll eat it in 3-4 days, just freeze it.

• Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Seriously, if you don't think you'll eat it in 3-4 days, just freeze it.

+1

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    After more than 2-3 days chicken tastes more "chickeny" to me, which I don't like. So chicken is one of the things that I try to eat within a couple of days.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi I work in a deli and our guide is 3 days on our rotisserie chicken salad, or pulled chicken. However for food prep I found if you bake your chicken and dice it up bag it up and freeze it take it out to thaw night before use and it solnves that issue.