Thinking about going Vegan

Options
Has anyone tried it or is anyone vegan?

Replies

• YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There's lots! Check out the happy herbivore community.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm whole food plant based. You can add me if u want to see what I eat :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'd transition to vegetarian then vegan bc though you probably could do it it's restricting. And I'd set myself up for success by researching it and doing proper nutrition. Also it can take awhile for the tummy to adjust. I'd try incorporating more vegetarian vegan meals into your day to day and slowly switch over and get a good book on becoming a vegan with proper guidelines and nutrition info
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    gems74 wrote: »
    For what reason? If it's for ethical reasons, go for it - there's lots of resources. If it's for weight loss reasons - there is no advantage to a vegan diet over any other for weight loss, and it requires a lot more diligence to ensure you're getting a balanced diet and usually requires supplementation.

Actually, plant based diets requires little diligence to get a balanced diet and very little supplements. The only work required is checking food labels to see if foods are actually vegan. But really everyone should be reading labels anyways to know what they are putting in their bodies.

This has not been my experience. During Lent I struggle with hitting my protein goal if I'm dieting, and my goal isn't even that high.

To OP. Whether you are doing this for ethical reasons or just want to try it, I suggest educating yourself on vegan protein sources and loading up on leafy greens. Plant calcium is less bio-available so you need more of it unless you're eating enough tofu (which also has protein). You should also discuss with your doctor vitamin B12 supplementation and if you're doing it long term keep an eye on your iron too (again, plant iron is not well assimilated). Omega 3 supplementation (from algae sources) would also be a good idea.

If you're doing this because you believe you will achieve better weight loss, this may or may not be the case for you. Some people feel less hungry on a vegan diet so they eat less. Any diet that helps you eat less will work, a vegan diet has no special weight loss magic. If you choose to try eating vegan while losing weight because you want to see how you do on it, make sure you log your foods and count your calories just like on any other diet.
  • CindyA2268
    CindyA2268 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For what reason? If it's for ethical reasons, go for it - there's lots of resources. If it's for weight loss reasons - there is no advantage to a vegan diet over any other for weight loss, and it requires a lot more diligence to ensure you're getting a balanced diet and usually requires supplementation.

I actually began my Vegan journey for health reasons (tummy trouble/ cholesterol) not the ethical reasons you mention. I still follow it primarily for health but try to avoid products that use animals in the making of or do animal testing as best I can. There have been plenty of people who have lost weight following a Vegan plan as well as improving their health along the way.
  • CindyA2268
    CindyA2268 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »

Actually, plant based diets requires little diligence to get a balanced diet and very little supplements. The only work required is checking food labels to see if foods are actually vegan. But really everyone should be reading labels anyways to know what they are putting in their bodies.

I disagree - if you're training a lot, it can be more challenging to get enough protein, complete amino acids etc etc. Not saying it can't be done, but it definitely requires more consideration on a plant-based diet.

Actually any diet requires more diligence when a person is training to ensure the are not only getting the protein and amino acids but that they are getting them from the right sources.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    CindyA2268 wrote: »

I disagree - if you're training a lot, it can be more challenging to get enough protein, complete amino acids etc etc. Not saying it can't be done, but it definitely requires more consideration on a plant-based diet.

Actually any diet requires more diligence when a person is training to ensure the are not only getting the protein and amino acids but that they are getting them from the right sources.

I think the point is that it's pretty easy to get...say 145 grams of protein in with an omnivorous diet...much more difficult with a vegan diet, particularly without a lot of supplementation. Vegans also need to be supplementing B12. They're also should be supplementing EHA/DHA omega 3 since they obviously aren't eating any fish.
  • ItsJustJay11
    ItsJustJay11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow you all help me out a lot. I have a few stomach issues so I wanted to give it a try.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Wow you all help me out a lot. I have a few stomach issues so I wanted to give it a try.

Sometimes stomach issues have nothing to do with food. Get that checked. Otherwise, have you considered an elimination diet? Also keep in mind that if you increase your fiber suddenly, as usually happens when you eat vegan, you may experience even more stomach issues so watch out for that and make the increase gradual if you still plan on trying vegan.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’m vegan! Have an open diary! Just got on NFP 3 days ago! I’m a HCLF vegan! Not a junk food vegan!! Not a lot of mock meats! Mostly high carb starchy foods like rice and beans! Fruits and vegetables! I’m not afraid of bread or white potatoes! Or pasta!
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oops! MFP
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

An elimination diet like whole 30 would likely work better to identify food sensitivities...that's what that diet is designed for.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I went vegan just over a year ago - one of the best decisions I ever made.

My only wish is that I made the change sooner. I made the decision for ethical reasons and thought I'd have to work extra hard to get the same progress with lifting but it's really been no issue. Progress has been better than ever, not going to say that's due to Veganism as lots of things to consider but it certainly hasn't harmed things there. I didn't lose weight, I stayed the same for most of last year, only losing weight when I decided to come back here and make it happen. Lots of people do lose weight, plant based foods are generally less calorically dense than animal products. If you don't want to lose weight I suggest getting your favourite recipes and just veganising them so you're eating basically the same things as you are now. There are also lots of calorically dense vegan foods out there! If you do want to lose weight, it'll probably be easier for you, as long as you don't go mad for accidently vegan snacks haha!

I supplement for iron because I was low even when eating red meat nearly every day, but having tracked vitamins etc on cronometer I'm fine for everything else. A lot of people could do with a B12 supplement but that's general advice for anyone, not specifically vegans. I get more than enough via B12 fortified foods, cereals, plant milks, nutritional yeast and marmite. I suggest using something like cronometer for a little while to see how you're doing as far as micronutrients go but if you're eating a well balanced healthy plant based diet you shouldn't have anything to worry about, it's just to double check.

If you want to see what I eat my diary is public, or feel free to add me on here. I just eat what I like to eat and try and fit it around calories/macros, not going to say it's always the best, but it's there if you want.

• gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    CindyA2268 wrote: »

You might want to give this a read. From a blog of a vegan ultra marathoner.

http://www.richroll.com/blog/slaying-the-protein-myth/