Walk/jog/run

Options
I have never been anything resembling a “runner”. Have been overweight as long as I can remember. I am 47 and last month (Jan 7th) started walking and a little jogging as part of my new regime. Now that I am getting used to it I am finding myself doing a little more jogging and a little less walking. My question is what is a respectable time for a 3 mile jog?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    WallaceAN wrote: »
    I have never been anything resembling a “runner”. Have been overweight as long as I can remember. I am 47 and last month (Jan 7th) started walking and a little jogging as part of my new regime. Now that I am getting used to it I am finding myself doing a little more jogging and a little less walking. My question is what is a respectable time for a 3 mile jog?

Compare yourself to yourself, unless you're considering becoming a competitive athlete. "Respectable" is a subjective term - "respectable" to who? To somebody who's never run before, 45-50 minutes would be a "respectable" time; to a top-tier 5K competitor (3 miles is very close to 5K), somewhere around 15 minutes would probably be considered "respectable".

Here's a good read about it: https://www.verywellfit.com/what-is-a-good-time-for-a-5k-2911121
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5K as an obese 37 year old was just under 39 minutes. I was thrilled as I thought I'd be over 40 minutes. I haven't run a timed 5K race since then so no idea how much improvement I've made. So for me, any time faster than last August will be a good time. For you - run a 5K. Train safely without hurting yourself. Run another 5K. Did you improve?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but I wouldn't focus on others people's time. Just focus on challenging and improving your own time. Use a fitness tracker so you can watch your improvements and track your milestones. I really like STRAVA or Runkeeper. Both are great free apps that will let you know when you hit personal bests. Seeing the results in the mirror, overall fitness and on your tracker will give you more satisfaction. Good job getting out there and keep up the good work!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your pace is yours. Other runners’ pace is theirs. Yours is not the same as theirs and can’t be compared to theirs. There is no “respectable” pace, only a pace that is good for you.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Compare yourself to yourself, unless you're considering becoming a competitive athlete. "Respectable" is a subjective term - "respectable" to who? To somebody who's never run before, 45-50 minutes would be a "respectable" time; to a top-tier 5K competitor (3 miles is very close to 5K), somewhere around 15 minutes would probably be considered "respectable".

Here's a good read about it: https://www.verywellfit.com/what-is-a-good-time-for-a-5k-2911121

This.

I compare myself to my myself -- I track my stats between races, and I know what percentile I want to hit, but that's it.

I know I'm never going to be fast. I'm never going to be first. I'm OK with that. I just need to keep improving. And some races, even "I just need to not be last" is the only goal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both 49 - we started out running 5k (3.1 miles) at around 38 minutes and have gradually shaved our time down to 30:32. My goal is anything below 30! Not there yet! But there are women my age at the park who regularly run 5k in 25, and one young lady who runs it in 15 something. My idea of respectable is going to be quite different from theirs - and it's different day by day - my "respectable" mile time with a wrenched knee and a runny nose the day after leg day at the gym is a lot slower than my time when everything's perfect. What matters is getting out there and doing what's in front of you on any given day.

I read a running article which called running "the unconquerable sport." No matter how fast you get, no matter how fast you are compared to other people, you can always be faster. There's always the next mile and the next goal to conquer.
  • CyndeeLou99
    CyndeeLou99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running! Running makes you feel great. Just for a comparison, I'm 51 and I do a walk jog combo. Right now I'm only running a 13 minute mile. I used to run a lot and during that time it was an 8 or 9 minute mile. I feel just as great with my slower mile and will probably do less damage to my joints. Keep up the good work and wear great shoes.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So many great stories here and some really encouraging advice. Social media at it's best :-). I'm 42, I just took up running and I love it too. Just run to enjoy it and reap the benefits - any time is respectable because you're giving it a go
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I started "running" in Jan 2017. I was ~275lbs at the time and started C25K on a treadmill.

I've got a 10K race in 4 hours (and it's going to be frikken -10C for the race) and weigh ~210. I'm 52.

Just so you know where I'm coming from.

My 5K time is ~30 minutes. This is not a "good" time but is good for me. I'm working on getting it down but I doubt I will see much under 25. I'm just not focused on becoming a real fast runner and am good to finish without killing myself.

First, congrats on taking the step. (hee hee). But I've got some advice for you.

First and foremost, go to a running store and have a gait analysis done. You need the proper shoes for how you walk/run to avoid injury. I didn't do this and shin splints sidelined me for a bit.

Then I would download a C25K app (I used Zenn labs version). It will have you doing a walk/run split moving more to the running over 8-9 weeks. It's a great program to start out.
  • MoreFitLessFat
    MoreFitLessFat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me, as a person who has been running for around 4 years, it is doable in 27 minutes. Just to keep a comparison :)
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    When I started running 5+ years ago I made these comparisons and strove to be faster and faster. I ended up injured and injured again and each injury lost me months of running and running fitness. I then began running with my wife who has a fully fused spine and really can't go fast. I gave up on comparing to anyone other than myself and decided to master the Art of Slow Running! I now run 4 to 5 miles every other day and am injury free. I run for the pure enjoyment of the run. Our dog absolutely loves these runs. I run monitoring my heart rate with the goal of keeping it between 80 - 85% of max. Make sure you are fitted for proper running shoes and keep getting out there and enjoying yourself! Lets face it, your are going way faster than the majority of people that aren't moving at all.....
  • WallaceAN
    WallaceAN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the great advice. Appreciate all the encouragement, especially that “avoiding injury” knowledge. - cheers.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I started running by walking in the woods and every once in a while, breaking into a jog. Then, I got it into my head that jogging wasn't so bad (after eschewing it for most of my life), and I did more of it. After losing a bit of weight, I did the Zen Labs C25K a few years ago, taking my time and completing it over about 6 months. (Repeating some workouts many times.)

I think you need to listen to your body and not overdo it at any point, allowing your body to recover. If you're sore, just walk that day. (Working up your walking speed is equally effective.) You can also cross train on cycling, elliptical, or whatever you want.

Steady consistency is the key. I'm not a fast jogger, but I can jog a few times a week. (I also swim and ride my bike, all on my own time.) If a non-athlete like me can do it, so can you!
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started running 3 years ago at the age of 49 my first 5K was 38 minutes. My best is 33 minutes. I know I will never be a fast runner & am ok with that. I used the C25K app when I started. Instead of speed I'm more interested in distance. My best 10K time is 1:19.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've always been a walker. It's my preferred cardio and I try to get out daily for two hours. Last week, I found out that Toronto Fan Expo is having a 5K "walk/run/fly" at the end of August. I am planning to walk it. However, I've also downloaded a 7-week training program for running a 5K and I mean to give it a shot in July. I guess I'll see how I do!