How do you stop the craving for chocolates and sweets

Options
How do you stop the craving for chocolates and sweets

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I don't. I either don't act on the craving, or if I can fit it in my calories, I do. I tend to have chocolate every day though :)
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate everyday. I love chocolate so I make it fit into my calorie allowance. I don't feel deprived this way. I'd say make them fit otherwise it will feel like a diet and you might be thinking about chocolate/sweets all day.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said... don’t deprive yourself of it. Log it in your calories in the morning so you know you can have it later without going over.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate stevia drops in Greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder to bake shakes and chocolate halo top ice cream

That way I don’t need to fit regular chocolate into my day ... 1/3rd of it tastes of chocolate anyway
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I eat them in moderation. Eat them and account for them. Be disciplined enough to know that you'll have to cut somewhere else if you exceed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Chocolate protein shake every morning instead of breakfast. Healthy and keeps me full until noon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't. You just decide whether to act on them, or not.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think when you eat a more balanced timed nutrition plan it balances out that sweet craving. Trust me I'm so much so the queen of chocolates and sweets! But once I started the plan I'm on now ( which has no sweets soda or chocolate only cocoa nibs) I've had no craving for anything which I found so odd bc I usually always do. Especially if I overdo it awhile it's like withdrawal ( I had a bad binge eating problems) but nothing it's been like 4 weeks no cravings. But if I just want chocolate I try to do unsweetened cocoa powder on a bana and freeze it problem solved.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I actually find depriving myself of it more effective than fitting it into my calories. It’s obviously a personal choice, I just find that my cravings go away after awhile of not eating it and eventually I just get to a point of not being that bothered about eating it. When I do treat myself now I always wonder what all the fuss was about, chocolate just doesn’t taste as good as it used to.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For some people, like myself, it is easier to abstain than to moderate tempting foods. Here is more details about that here from habit guru Gretchen Rubin: https://gretchenrubin.com/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    92019start wrote: »
    For some people, like myself, it is easier to abstain than to moderate tempting foods. Here is more details about that here from habit guru Gretchen Rubin: https://gretchenrubin.com/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Although I kind of agree with this, I find it a bit oversimplified. I believe people fall on a spectrum for this, and that even the same person can be an abstainer for some items and a moderator for others. I'm an abstainer for nuts and sweetened condensed milk. I only have them in a very controlled manner as a part of a recipe but not on their own because it's more stressful for me to moderate them in that manner than to set rules for them. Everything else I'm various degrees of moderator. Some things fall in the "abstaining" category for me but not because I need to abstain for them, it simply happens because I rarely deem them to be worth the calories for some reason and find myself choosing other things so I end up not eating them for very long stretches of time. Peanut butter falls in that category for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Work it into your calories. For me, if I tell myself I can’t have chocolate then I end up binging on it at some point.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    YMMV, but I find that lower-calorie or more nutritionally dense versions like Fibre One brownies, Halo Top, and protein bars help to address the cravings without knocking out my goals for the day. The brownies are only 90 kcal each, and protein bars are usually around 200 kcal but work to replace a different protein source in my day. Plus, protein makes me feel more satiated anyway (just personally). Or, low calorie soda. I know people go on and on about how the sweeteners are supposedly bad for you (absolute nonsense), but as long as you're not worried about the acidity and your teeth, they can be a really handy tool. I probably shouldn't be drinking them with bulimia-damaged teeth, but...oh well :#

I also try not to buy high-calorie sugary snacks, but it's difficult when living with someone else who isn't trying to lose weight :( I try not to open that cupboard in particular...
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I found for most food I craved, fittings it into my allotment each day made me think about it and crave it less as time past. However, that has still not quite happened with chocolate yet. I have learned that nutritional versions don't cut it for me and make the cravings worse. Eating a square of dark chocolate as a mid morning snack works well up till dinner and portioning out dark chocolate chips for dessert is sorta working.

Cravings while annoying and can seem detrimental, can really help you pinpoint why you want to eat ...stress, hormones, boredom, emotions etc. Developing habits to combat/work with them in the long run really helps you, so don't give up!