Crossfit? How was your experience?

Options
Hi, I am trying to find a fitness program I can get into and keep up. I've do everything the traditional gym many times over, gym classes but after a few weeks or months get bored of work outs and lose motivation to go. Especially when end up going alone. In the past jogging I got really into it but have bad joints not something ca do regularly. In the summer I go once a week at weekends at least. Now I'm about to join crossfit, I did a oxygen class yesterday as a taster crossfit with lighter weights. Only weights used was kettlebell but was still full body workout. Had to do runs as well. I was motivated, given good technique instructions this one I go to don't bark orders at you so think it's for me. My friend been going there over a year goes on a regular basis and she was less motivated than me she keeps it up actually loves it bit too much will go twice a day when she's off. I have to do foundation classes before can do crossfit classes. 3 sessions.
Would like to hear from people who have tried crossfit or still regularly do crossfit.
I find when I workout motivates me to eat better as don't want to show up to a class feeling sluggish or bloated as affects your performance. Diet and exercise go hand in hand with me. Drop ball on one I end up dropping it off both.

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you have bad joints then Crossfit probably isn't for you.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think experiences vary box to box quite a bit. I tried it several years ago and only stayed for about 6 months. Here are my thoughts.
    The good:
    Workouts are often fun!
    Focus on multiple aspects of fitness
    Can be really motivating to work out in a group
    The bad:
    I kept getting injured. This was as much my fault as the coaches- I was one of the less fit people in the class, and pushed myself hard not to be embarrassed. But I felt like the coaches also pushed me too hard, and I was attempting difficult lifts with little training.
    Focus on Paleo. I’m vegetarian for ethical reasons and got tired of getting pushed on this.
    The expense! Too much of a monthly cost.

I know tons of people love it, but it wasn’t for me. It was my intro to weight training and I do that on my own now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Went with my sister a couple of times, wasn't for me. Competitive all out push and puke random things that lack focus are not for me. I could not focus on my form because I was trying not to fall behind, I could not focus in general because I'm easily distracted by people, I can do high impact, but high impact coupled with lack of focus would be dangerous for my back (and there are many high impact exercises there so if you have bad joints I would watch out), I found the exercises random, I found too much woo in the post-exercise chit chat and it was uncomfortable to keep nodding politely waiting for the enthusiastic Paleo talk to end. My sister thrives on it, I don't.
  • dani7098
    dani7098 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jnomadica wrote: »
    I think experiences vary box to box quite a bit. I tried it several years ago and only stayed for about 6 months. Here are my thoughts.
    The good:
    Workouts are often fun!
    Focus on multiple aspects of fitness
    Can be really motivating to work out in a group
    The bad:
    I kept getting injured. This was as much my fault as the coaches- I was one of the less fit people in the class, and pushed myself hard not to be embarrassed. But I felt like the coaches also pushed me too hard, and I was attempting difficult lifts with little training.
    Focus on Paleo. I’m vegetarian for ethical reasons and got tired of getting pushed on this.
    The expense! Too much of a monthly cost.

I know tons of people love it, but it wasn’t for me. It was my intro to weight training and I do that on my own now.

Thanks for the advice, this Box don't push you more than should be more supportive so will see how I go. My friend was at a more local one before that did push her to far she kept getting injured which almost affected her job progression as she has a physical job and needs to be physically fit. When she said no was not treated well so left and goes to crossfit in next Town now which is where I have joined. Totally different atmosphere.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I did cross-fit for about 6 months

I liked the exercises
    I liked feeling like I had worked really hard.
    I hated people standing around cheering me on.
    I hated the BS re nutrition that was dressed up as science
    I hated that paleo was pushed at me despite me being vegetarian
    I had to bite my tongue a lot

I think you probably have to be a bit of a conformist who likes feeling like they are part of a special group who knows something others don't then crossfit is fine, or if you can tolerate BS.

I follow a few crossfit pages and just do the WOD at home, with my dogs who haven't drank the cool-aid :)
  • bookstatic
    bookstatic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It depends on the box. I'm at a supportive, wonderful box with non psycho people who do not push any kind of orthodoxy - everyone just really likes working out. I've been doing it for over a year and it's changed my life. I used to throw my back out tying my shoes. 24 lbs and a lot of muscle building later, I can deadlift 145 and run a 5k thanks to crossfit.
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    CrossFit in the right setting can be an excellent combination aeorobic and resistance training as long as you carefully modify both the types of movements, weight used, and intensity. Some Advanced CrossFit Lifts are not only technical but dangerous if done wrong, or done while fatigued and not watching intensity level. That happened to me. A crash off the side of a box jump, landing on my shoulder, tearing rotator cuff and bicep. Not fun. Was not paying attention of my intensity while performing a semi dangerous move. Easy to get hurt if you’re lacking the fitness level to keep up with class.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had a really great experience doing Crossfit. It sounds like you have found an affiliate that is right for you. When I look for a Crossfit affiliate here are some of my criteria:
    -I want to see all ages and ability levels represented in the classes.
    -Are the coaches correcting form and offering encouragement during the work outs?
    - I also look at their credentials. I want instructors that have more than just a level one cert.
    - For me, I want to know if and how much experience they have working with pregnant clients. If they seem hesitant or nervous about answering, I make a point to not come back.