Question

Options
If I have a small calorie deficit or even an bang on. If I do exercise will I lose weight ?

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you burn more than you eat yes. So if you eat at maintenance and then exercise to create a deficit (assuming you don’t eat back the exercise calories) you will lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, because you will on longer be eating at maintenance
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to maintenance and use exercise to create a deficit.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options

How's that working ?
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I also lost the majority of my weight eating close to maintenance and creating my deficit through exercise.

It took me a little longer to lose the weight, but it has helped me to keep the weight off in the long run.

Wow you look great. How long did it take and how much did you have to lose ?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I also lost the majority of my weight eating close to maintenance and creating my deficit through exercise.

It took me a little longer to lose the weight, but it has helped me to keep the weight off in the long run.

Wow you look great. How long did it take and how much did you have to lose ?

Thank you! :)

I lost 80 pounds in 2012 - 2013 (it took me 15 months to lose) and I'm in my 5th year of maintenance!

That really is inspirational!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're bang on maintenance, as soon as you add exercise, you've created a deficit, and will lose weight the same as any other deficit.
  • Christine_72
    Options

How's that working ?

It's working great, I'm losing at a good rate. The only downside is that you HAVE to exercise if you want to lose weight. I tend to rebel when i am forced to do things lol I just stick to regular walking, so it's not too much of a bother, you don't have to sweat it out in the gym for hours a day.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options

How's that working ?

It's working great, I'm losing at a good rate. The only downside is that you HAVE to exercise if you want to lose weight. I tend to rebel when i am forced to do things lol I just stick to regular walking, so it's not too much of a bother, you don't have to sweat it out in the gym for hours a day.

Yeah I'm going to do similar and then on off days just cut back x
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

How's that working ?

I think this works when people have a lot of control over the schedule. I like using how much I eat to create the deficit because although I have TIME and control of my schedule to easily fit in workouts, I didn't aways. In fact that is how I gained weight a few times in the past--I wasn't counting calories so I was unaware how much I was eating, but I ran 4 miles every day. I did that for years and for probably about 10 years, also an additional hour of exercise. I didn't realize it at the time but I was maintaining largely through so much exercise. A few years ago I had a difficult job and a long commute, so I really couldn't exercise. I had no control over my schedule--and sometimes my days went from 6:00 a.m.-10:00 pm leaving no opportunity to go to the expensive gym I belong to. Having no idea what I was eating, I kept eating the same amount, and without the workouts/running, gained a signficant amount.

Nowadays I think I would be better capable of handling it since I'm not relying on my exercise to create the deficit, (nor will I do so to maintain). This is one of the features I love about MFP. If I don't exercise that day, I just eat less.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

How's that working ?

I think this works when people have a lot of control over the schedule. I like using how much I eat to create the deficit because although I have TIME and control of my schedule to easily fit in workouts, I didn't aways. In fact that is how I gained weight a few times in the past--I wasn't counting calories so I was unaware how much I was eating, but I ran 4 miles every day. I did that for years and for probably about 10 years, also an additional hour of exercise. I didn't realize it at the time but I was maintaining largely through so much exercise. A few years ago I had a difficult job and a long commute, so I really couldn't exercise. I had no control over my schedule--and sometimes my days went from 6:00 a.m.-10:00 pm leaving no opportunity to go to the expensive gym I belong to. Having no idea what I was eating, I kept eating the same amount, and without the workouts/running, gained a signficant amount.

Nowadays I think I would be better capable of handling it since I'm not relying on my exercise to create the deficit, (nor will I do so to maintain). This is one of the features I love about MFP. If I don't exercise that day, I just eat less.

Very true. I'm fortunate in that i have plenty of time to exercise. If i had a full time job i would undoubtedly struggle.