How to choose a good trainer?

Options
TaffyBranwyn
TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a beginner with weights at home & despite having watched at least 200 videos with varying people on proper form & workouts... & reading & using several weight workout books as guides... I continually sustain the same injuries. They're not horrendous injuries, but enough that I've had to stop or take Ibuprofin for a few days to 1-wk & begin all over again, only to have the same issues. This has been the pattern for 6-mos & honestly, my frustration level is so high, I haven't used them for 6-wks & just glare at them in the corner each time I pass.

The injured areas are not parts of the body where I've had previous issues, so obviously I'm doing something wrong with weights & need a pro to tailor a workout for me & correct my form. In 2-wks, I'm relocating to Houston. I don't know anyone there, so have no one to ask for a referral. What criteria do people use in choosing a trainer? I'm a girl, so do women prefer or benefit more with female trainers? I'm also close to 50, so do those around my age benefit more with a trainer in the same age range or who works with older bodies? BTW, I'm healthy, reasonably fit & not overweight, so there shouldn't be any obstacles... I'm just not as strong as I'd like to be.

Also, I don't know how that process works. I cannot afford a trainer twice/wk for months at a time, at least not now. I'd like to see someone a handful of times to learn a few exercises & get form down, then do monthly visits to do corrections and/or add another exercise or 2. My goal is to workout at home or in the apt complex's fitness center, purely for financial reasons. Does that sound reasonable & are trainers willing to work within those parameters?

So, where do people find trainers & what am I looking for? Are there those who specialize with newbies? Do I find one at a gym (wouldn't I need a membership, however?), Yelp, professional organization? Any licenses I need to ask about? Can anyone ballpark how much I'd pay for a session & would it normally be 30 or 60-min? I almost feel I'm looking for a physical therapist rather than a trainer, due to the injuries I keep getting. Are there PTs who are also trainers?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Where are you usually getting injured?
    A session with a sports physical therapist is probably a good start, to get a diagnosis of your particular issues (write it down) and get a list of corrective exercises.

For a trainer, i'd choose one with either a degree in physical therapy or kinesiology, or who's certified with NASM-CES (not just NASM) plus has 1+ year experience training people over 40. Both are pretty hard to find, but they're out there. Try asking your physical therapist for referrals. A sport medicine clinic might even have a trainer there. If not, try searching on ideafit.com (you'll need to ask trainers if their NASM cert is NASM-CES). NASM's site should have a "find a trainer" option. Be skeptical of other credentials.

In your case, their knowledge is more important than gender or age. Most people want a trainer for motivation, so take other peoples' criteria with a grain of salt. :+1:

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm a girl and touched my first barbell a few months before my 49th birthday.

i chose my trainer based on his vibe. there was a recommendation for his gym on the starting strength message boards, so that was where i got his actual name. but when i googled the gym name, i liked what i saw. he put his values up front in a way i appreciated, and the values themselves were something that i related to. i think we're into our third year 'together' by now.

it took me a year to decide i was going to look for someone. in that time i'd been working alone and using rippetoe's starting strength book as one of my major resources. plus a lot of youtube and googling and constant learn-absorb-relearn-keep-thinking cycles on my own. i don't regret 'wasting' the year. it wasn't a waste becasue in that time i observed plenty of trainers and built a short list of dealbreakers. i also refined and clarified my questions and the things that i needed help with.

both of thees things were extremely helpful by the time i did initiate contact with mr t. it streamlined our get-acquainted process considerably, and the fact that i had 'measured twice' for a year beforehand meant that i think i made a pretty good pick when i was ready to 'cut'.

good luck. everyone has their own preferences and needs, so don't give up. part of the process is the process of figuring out what yours are.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Hi Cheri. Thank you for responding. I just realized something I keep forgetting to mention, as it's a lifelong issue I work with & ignore. All my injuries are on the left side (shoulder, shoulder blade... which has been an issue for months... elbow, knee), which is probably my weaker side. I have a 37-degree scoliosis... cosmetically, you can't see it, but an xray of my spine looks like a long & winding road.

I cannot carry anything on my left side, including 1 bag of groceries, unless it's balanced out by carrying something in the right hand, too... meaning, I rely heavily on using my right side, tough now as I'm packing to move & constantly nurse mild injuries on the left side. If I try to carry someone heavier on my left, it gets me off balance & takes a lot more effort... often I'll have tinges for a few days.

It just came to me that my muscles are probably not as well developed on the left as the right & the sports PT you mentioned will be my best bet as perhaps I need to exercise the left side first, to build it up, then move onto balanced exercises? Or, at very least, do some sort of special exercises for the left.
    wrote:
    A session with a sports physical therapist is probably a good start, to get a diagnosis of your particular issues (write it down) and get a list of corrective exercises.

For a trainer, i'd choose one with either a degree in physical therapy or kinesiology, or who's certified with NASM-CES (not just NASM) plus has 1+ year experience training people over 40. Both are pretty hard to find, but they're out there. Try asking your physical therapist for referrals. A sport medicine clinic might even have a trainer there. If not, try searching on ideafit.com (you'll need to ask trainers if their NASM cert is NASM-CES). NASM's site should have a "find a trainer" option. Be skeptical of other credentials.

In your case, their knowledge is more important than gender or age. Most people want a trainer for motivation, so take other peoples' criteria with a grain of salt.

Good advice, thank you. I don't have health insurance, so it might have to wait 'til I'm relocated & have a job. I've paid out of pocket for PT before & it was almost $300/hr. In the meantime, I'll start looking around for scoliosis rehab exercises. I used to have a yoga DVD for scoliosis, but it was slow as molasses hatha yoga & I just don't have the patience for anything that laborious. Now that I know I do need to begin there... I get it, so I'll research it a bit.

Thank you kindly for your reply.

Canada... I'll reply a bit later. Ran out of time.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    Canada... thank you very much. As per the above post, I think I need more than a trainer due to the scoliosis. Since all the injuries are on the same side, it must be having a negative impact.

I'll have to research a bit more.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If I'm being completely honest, that's too long of a post for me to read this early... so going just off the subject line -

1) make sure they have background/experience in the type of training you want to do.
    2) make sure they communicate well (only trial and error can determine this for you ) - they have to listen well enough to understand your goals, strengths, concerns, etc... and talk/explain/teach well enough for you to glean the information you need to do the work you need to do.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If I'm being completely honest, that's too long of a post for me to read this early...

Lol. Okay, dude, thanks.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Canada... thank you very much. As per the above post, I think I need more than a trainer due to the scoliosis. Since all the injuries are on the same side, it must be having a negative impact.

yeah sorry. i just posted off the first recognizable point and missed all the relevance further down in your post. to the question about what is reasonable: around here i have definitely experienced physios who give you as-needed instructions, as opposed to the kind who want you to keep coming back twice a month for the rest of your life. i think that too is partly a matter of lucking into the right kind. fwiw i found the first lead on my trainer by picking a key word relevant to my requirements, and then giving that to google along with my city. it threw up a subset of possibilities which i looked into and he was one of them.

completely see why you've decided to take this approach. another option for leads or referrals is to touch base with any other organizations that are 'special' need-conscious such as an arthritis society, if there is such a thing where you live.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options

yeah sorry. i just posted off the first recognizable point and missed all the relevance further down in your post.

No worries. I appreciate any input.
    wrote:
    to the question about what is reasonable: around here i have definitely experienced physios who give you as-needed instructions, as opposed to the kind who want you to keep coming back twice a month for the rest of your life. i think that too is partly a matter of lucking into the right kind. fwiw i found the first lead on my trainer by picking a key word relevant to my requirements, and then giving that to google along with my city. it threw up a subset of possibilities which i looked into and he was one of them.

What is a physio? Physical therapist? I may be wrong, but I'm guessing I need someone with more training than the average 24 Hr Fitness trainer with the no pain, no gain mentality. Due to the scoliosis, I need someone skilled in body mechanics. I'll google physical therapists who work with scoliosis... still, it's more than likely cost prohibitive... but, hopefully a job with health ins is incoming.
    wrote:
    completely see why you've decided to take this approach. another option for leads or referrals is to touch base with any other organizations that are 'special' need-conscious such as an arthritis society, if there is such a thing where you live.

Sorry, I'm lost... I don't have arthritis, why would I need to search for that? Scoliosis is a curved spine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Hi Cheri. Thank you for responding. I just realized something I keep forgetting to mention, as it's a lifelong issue I work with & ignore. All my injuries are on the left side (shoulder, shoulder blade... which has been an issue for months... elbow, knee), which is probably my weaker side. I have a 37-degree scoliosis... cosmetically, you can't see it, but an xray of my spine looks like a long & winding road.

I cannot carry anything on my left side, including 1 bag of groceries, unless it's balanced out by carrying something in the right hand, too... meaning, I rely heavily on using my right side, tough now as I'm packing to move & constantly nurse mild injuries on the left side. If I try to carry someone heavier on my left, it gets me off balance & takes a lot more effort... often I'll have tinges for a few days.

It just came to me that my muscles are probably not as well developed on the left as the right & the sports PT you mentioned will be my best bet as perhaps I need to exercise the left side first, to build it up, then move onto balanced exercises? Or, at very least, do some sort of special exercises for the left.
    wrote:

In your case, their knowledge is more important than gender or age. Most people want a trainer for motivation, so take other peoples' criteria with a grain of salt.

Good advice, thank you. I don't have health insurance, so it might have to wait 'til I'm relocated & have a job. I've paid out of pocket for PT before & it was almost $300/hr. In the meantime, I'll start looking around for scoliosis rehab exercises. I used to have a yoga DVD for scoliosis, but it was slow as molasses hatha yoga & I just don't have the patience for anything that laborious. Now that I know I do need to begin there... I get it, so I'll research it a bit.
    I hate to break it to you, but for the complicated issues you describe, you're going to need plenty of patience. Maybe you can find some self-help resources that can help you develop this skill while you're sorting out your fitness & health issues.
    My suggestion would be to begin with lighter weights that you can handle on you left side. If a bag of groceries is too heavy, try 1/2 or 1/4 bag.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you, but for the complicated issues you describe, you're going to need plenty of patience. Maybe you can find some self-help resources that can help you develop this skill while you're sorting out your fitness & health issues.

I don't have any complicated health issues, unless you're calling scoliosis a complex health issue. I've had plenty of patience, trying over & over again for a year to figure out a weight routine, so unsure psychological intervention is needed, lol... I'll just need to find someone, perhaps with training with scoliosis clients.
    wrote:
    My suggestion would be to begin with lighter weights that you can handle on you left side. If a bag of groceries is too heavy, try 1/2 or 1/4 bag.

Lighter weights makes sense. You seem to be misunderstanding the rest, or perhaps I wasn't stating it clearly. Groceries aren't too heavy... I have the common sense to know how much I can carry... I said I need to balance them out on both sides or carry them only on the right. My assumption is the 37-degree scoliosis throws off my body mechanics/balance... even carrying a cross-over body bag can't be on the left... it makes me feel crooked & awkward. On the right, I feel fine.
  • canadianlbs
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sorry, I'm lost... I don't have arthritis, why would I need to search for that? Scoliosis is a curved spine.

i thought about it because a 'deformed' joint is a deformed joint, and arthritis is another thing that for sure has the capacity to create that problem. osteo too possibly, although no experience of that.

so basically, when i learned i had r.a. there was all this yabber about how i had to do specialized physio to make sure my muscles were 'supporting' my joints and keeping them straight. i was in a major rage about the diagnosis when i did see the person they sent me to, so i didn't listen to anything she said, but i do remember it was very very much about maintaining (in my case, since no deformity at the time) joint stability.

they are different conditions at the root-cause level, but i was thinking that you also need someone who's more than usually conscious of the special considerations involved in working out when your joints might not be as straightforward as the average bear's.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I don't have any complicated health issues, unless you're calling scoliosis a complex health issue. I've had plenty of patience, trying over & over again for a year to figure out a weight routine, so unsure psychological intervention is needed, lol... I'll just need to find someone, perhaps with training with scoliosis clients.
    wrote:

Lighter weights makes sense. You seem to be misunderstanding the rest, or perhaps I wasn't stating it clearly. Groceries aren't too heavy... I have the common sense to know how much I can carry... I said I need to balance them out on both sides or carry them only on the right. My assumption is the 37-degree scoliosis throws off my body mechanics/balance... even carrying a cross-over body bag can't be on the left... it makes me feel crooked & awkward. On the right, I feel fine.

I said complicated because you said that you "Continually sustain injuries" for 6 months and "cannot Carry a bag of groceries". This seems complicated to me and structural issues are not usually easy to fix. I suggested focusing on patience because you said it will be awhile til you can afford training and you "don't have the patience for anything so laborious". I suggested a self help book or exercise, not "psychological intervation ".

It is rare to find a trainer who specializes in specific conditions since they aren't medically trained. A good trainer can successfully work with a variety of situations. Most trainers are able to work with newbies. The length of the training session is usually negotiable. 1/2 hr is common because its less expensive. Prices vary by area but expect to pay $50-120/hr. Package deals are often available but don't buy a long term contract until you're comfortable with the trainer. Look up trainers in your area, meet with a few, ask for references, and do a trial session. Core strengthening will likely be key for you, just as it is for most people. I also expect that it is unlikely to significantly correct the structural issue with personal training or physical therapy.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options

You'll have to read more carefully, as you keep taking what I've said out of context. I didn't say a bag of groceries is too heavy, you've said that, 2-3 times... I said if I carry on the left only, I'm off balance. Let's just drop that now, repetition is fruitless.
    wrote:
    I said complicated because you said that you "Continually sustain injuries" for 6 months and "cannot Carry a bag of groceries". This seems complicated to me and structural issues are not usually easy to fix. I suggested focusing on patience because you said it will be awhile til you can afford training and you "don't have the patience for anything so laborious". I suggested a self help book or exercise, not "psychological intervation".

Once again, all taken out of context. I said I didn't have the patience for slow hatha yoga... that's laborious. READ. I do stretching & yoga... but, my post was about weights... the types of exercise I do are faster & are an aside. I only asked about finding a trainer.
    wrote:
    It is rare to find a trainer who specializes in specific conditions since they aren't medically trained. A good trainer can successfully work with a variety of situations. Most trainers are able to work with newbies. The length of the training session is usually negotiable. 1/2 hr is common because its less expensive. Prices vary by area but expect to pay $50-120/hr. Package deals are often available but don't buy a long term contract until you're comfortable with the trainer. Look up trainers in your area, meet with a few, ask for references, and do a trial session. Core strengthening will likely be key for you, just as it is for most people. I also expect that it is unlikely to significantly correct the structural issue with personal training or physical therapy.

I wasn't looking to correct a curved spine & I wouldn't ask anyone other than a surgeon. What are you on about? ALL I asked about was finding a trainer. That's all. I then realized I may need more of a medically trained pro due to the scoliosis. Thanks for the above info... which was all I wanted. Please don't respond any further... I've gotten all I need from you, thanks.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    i thought about it because a 'deformed' joint is a deformed joint, and arthritis is another thing that for sure has the capacity to create that problem. osteo too possibly, although no experience of that.

Lol. I'm unsure why people are trying to diagnose, without a doctor's license & exam. I don't have arthritis. I don't have osteoperosis. My scoliosis is idiopathic... no known cause, as it is with the vast majority with it. I don't refer to myself as deformed, but whatever...
    wrote:
    they are different conditions at the root-cause level, but i was thinking that you also need someone who's more than usually conscious of the special considerations involved in working out when your joints might not be as straightforward as the average bear's.

Yeah, I've said that a couple of times now, so I'll just close the issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Take care.
  • canadianlbs
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lol. I'm unsure why people are trying to diagnose

i'm not. if i was trying to diagnose i would have rustled up a list of random advice and links to various sources that seemed vaguely related in some way according only to completely-uniformed me. try doing this exercise. that one is helping me with my own unbalanced x. three sets of y every day yada blah. and i would have told you all aobut my dentist's third cousin's neighbour's ex-wife who magically fixed her own scoliosis by eating dinosaur eggs while balanced only on her left ear for three months.

believe me, i know how mental i go when people insist on answering questions i didn't ask, especially when it is related in some way to my own 'special' stuff. so sorry if i've been doing that to you here. and i appreciate how gracefully you've been trying to extricate yourself from all these unwanted rabbit holes. i will say that you're not the only person around here who has 'special' needs when it comes to strength so your frustration is both relatable and frustrating for me in its turn. i wish there were some way of minimizing the extra difficulties involved in it all.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I appreciate your frustration, but you are seeking advice in a public forum. People may not be knowledgeable, but they are well-intentioned, and it’s easy enough to just ignore any comments you don’t think are applicable to your situation.

I understand, you're right.
    wrote:
    If you have accesss to a hospital-based fitness center, they might have either some more experienced trainers on staff, or they might have someone certified in adaptive exercise who might be a better fit for your situation.

I'm relocating out-of-state on Wed. I'll check around once settled & see who I might be able to find to help. Thank you kindly for your help.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    "I'm unsure why people are trying to diagnose..."

i'm not.

My apologies, Canadian... that wasn't meant for you, but that's the problem with forums & writing reads dry.
    wrote:
    believe me, i know how mental i go when people insist on answering questions i didn't ask, especially when it is related in some way to my own 'special' stuff. so sorry if i've been doing that to you here. and i appreciate how gracefully you've been trying to extricate yourself from all these unwanted rabbit holes. i will say that you're not the only person around here who has 'special' needs when it comes to strength so your frustration is both relatable and frustrating for me in its turn. i wish there were some way of minimizing the extra difficulties involved in it all.

No apology needed. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I'll do some searching on my own once settled. I appreciate your replies.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Given your scoliosis I agree with everyone who has suggested a physical therapist (another word for that is "physio"). I get that you don't have the money for one right now so it might mean taking time off of whatever weight training you were doing until you can save the money to find one/until you have insurance coverage that would cover one. I get that you might not want to take time off but if the other option is continually injuring/reinjuring yourself then it seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Someone also already suggested a hospital based fitness center and I'd second that. I'm not sure how common they are (I think there's only one in my city - above my PT's office actually) and I'm not sure how expensive they tend to be (my one anecdotal example is absurdly expensive), but they would likely have personal trainers who are knowledgeable enough to work with someone with scoliosis in a way that is effective and safe.

As much as you may not have wanted to admit it in your first post, where you said, "BTW, I'm healthy, reasonably fit & not overweight, so there shouldn't be any obstacles." scoliosis is an obstacle. Not an insurmountable one by any means, but it is an obstacle.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I'll do some searching on my own once settled. I appreciate your replies.

feelings not hurt. i do hope it works out.