Things you think of while exercising

Options
kelsully
kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
Ok ...so I run. Sometimes I run for hours. There is a lot of time to think and some really absurd things have come to mind as well as some wonderfully deep things but there are a few that are just fun
1. If you come across one shoe on the side of the road I bet there is a male from the ages 12-24 involved in that one shoe being on the side of the road.
2. Rocks in your shoes suck.
3. M.C. Hammer is a genious
4. I can make any workout more pleasant by trying to figure out how I am going to come up with a witty way to describe the workout here on MFP.

Have you had any amazing realizations while exercising?

Replies

• alittlebitofperil
    Options
    Not really had any revelations but seeinga s you can 'run for hours' maybe you can help me - I've just started running, I'm not the fittest of people and I can only manage pitifully short periods of running - about 15 minutes at a time. How long does it take, would you say, to get to a point when you can comfortably go for, say, a half-hour run?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    the only thing i think about is how many calories i am burning and how much food i can eat afterwards
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Food. Food. Food. Food and um food :) Katy Perry and fitting into skinny clothes! Oh and sleep hehe
  • kelsully
    Options
    Not really had any revelations but seeinga s you can 'run for hours' maybe you can help me - I've just started running, I'm not the fittest of people and I can only manage pitifully short periods of running - about 15 minutes at a time. How long does it take, would you say, to get to a point when you can comfortably go for, say, a half-hour run?

15 minutes at a time is a great start..no pitiful at all...try adding 2-3 more minutes each week -10 days...you are a runner now so you just have to keep running to be able to add time and distance...keep at it..sounds like you on a great path to doing good things
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    "only five more minutes on this treadmill. Only 4 more minutes on this treadmill. Only 3 more minutes on this treadmill....."

I hate cardio with a passion.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I just finished "Born to Run" and LOVED one of the quotes. It said, "If you got a problem that can't get worked out in a 4 1/2 hour run, there ain't no solution."

Running is sometimes the most quiet part of my day. It's sacred. My body is having a conversation with God. Sometimes I'm so deep into it that I can almost feel a hand pushing me from behind, like I don't have any control over my pace. That's something magical.

I love it.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm much of a runner. I just started c210k a few weeks ago, but here are some of my regulars:
    1. I'm not a fan of small, yippy dogs.
    2. I dislike speed bumps.
    3. 5:45 am is way too early to be awake, much less outside "running."
    4. How much longer until I get to walk again? :wink:
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    the only thing i think about is how many calories i am burning and how much food i can eat afterwards

^ That and "My god! Why is it so stinking hot in this room?" :P
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    "only five more minutes on this treadmill. Only 4 more minutes on this treadmill. Only 3 more minutes on this treadmill....."

Listen to podcasts that you love (that will help a ton!). Check out some of the more funny ones out there (careful though, you may have to fight not laughing out loud).
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've realized I have my best workouts when I am listening to inspiring music. Otherwise I think about how much more time I have on whatever machine I am working out on and the seconds DRAG by. When I am listening to the music the time slips away! I dread the days I climb on the bike or elliptical and my IPOD battery is red!!!
  • MeganBeezy
    Options
    I was thinking the same exact thing as alittlebitofperil. I can push out about 30-40 minutes at a boarderline average pace and all I can think about it to keep putting one foot in front of the other and I have to keep telling myself that I'm not actually in pain or too tired. My brain is just trying to fool me. That pretty much consumes my thoughts. How the heck do you run so long?? Teach me!
  • kelsully
    Options
    I have thought a lot about food too...I know about how much I burn per mile...so there have been times when I actually YAHOO! outloud when I realize that I just earned ice cream after dinner or that I totally ran off breakfast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba so mostly I just think about getting the moves right. :laugh: I do the DVDs and sometime I think how funny and cool it is that Beto (Zumba creator) seems to be the one enjoying it most, which is also a pretty good motivator.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    While Running I think on.....
    I ponder life and the pursuit of happiness.
    I constantly think about the current run and also the next run planned.
    I think about family
    I think about work
    I people watch as I run and picture their lives and what they are doing.
    I think about the rabbits and squirrels and birds I see along the way.
    I think about the music I am listening to...the lyrics and the artists.
  • kelsully
    Options
    I just finished "Born to Run" and LOVED one of the quotes. It said, "If you got a problem that can't get worked out in a 4 1/2 hour run, there ain't no solution."

Running is sometimes the most quiet part of my day. It's sacred. My body is having a conversation with God. Sometimes I'm so deep into it that I can almost feel a hand pushing me from behind, like I don't have any control over my pace. That's something magical.

I love it.

love this and think it is pretty true
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options

I love it.

I like this!!! Both the quote from the book and your quiet time while running.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I used to be the same way on a treadmill. Or the eliptical. Or the stairmaster. Or running outside.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was feeing nostalgic so I popped Ministry and Skinny Puppy into Pandora today. Damn! No wonder I was a depressed teenager!
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Here lately I keep thinking about:

1. I need new shoes
    2. I need some underwear that fit properly
    3. It is so effing hot out here
    4. I look at the time and think "I can do anything for 20 minutes..." " I can do anything for 10 minutes.." etc.
  • mariposa326
    mariposa326 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I think that quite often! But then I look at how many calories I've burned and it makes me feel better :)