How do you stop the craving for chocolates and sweets

Options

Replies

• willsreb
    willsreb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too! It feels like a constant battle to be honest. At the moment I am allowing myself a small sweet snack of 100-130 calories so I can make sure it fits into my calorie goal. A small kitkat is 104 calories, for example. My problem is, I associate watching a good film or series with eating chocolate
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% cacao shaved into my plain greek yogurt everyday with a little stevia for sweetness. I am a chocolate monster and would never have lost 68lbs without chocolate everyday.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I practice saying no and it becomes more and more of a habit. I was at two events with cookies yesterday and I had zero cookies because it was hard enough to figure out the food that would actually nourish my body. I walked a few miles and danced for over an hour straight, I could have fit in a cookie, but I chose to practice "no" instead of practicing making excuses, since it was slightly easier with the cookies on the other end of the room.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    How do you stop the craving for chocolates and sweets

I don't. I've learned how to still enjoy them within limits.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do a weekly food shop and just avoid buying them, if they're in the house I will eat them all, I've never been able to just have one of anything.
  • klr1981
    klr1981 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I keep bars of Godiva chocolates in my top drawer- I just eat a square every now and again. I’ve found I have to give in a little so I don’t go on a crazy binge
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've been having Halo Top chocolate ice cream every night, lately I've been eating the whole carton, I just plan for it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said - moderation, substitutions, work it in, make it logistically harder, etc. Good stuff.

For me (and some others I've "talked" with here), it helped me to reduce cravings for high-calorie, low-nutrition sweets when I made it a point to eat much more whole fruit.

Initially, I targeted 3 servings daily. Eventually, I was able to be more flexible and reduce that without unwanted cravings returning.

Long term, some of the things I formerly enjoyed (certain sweet baked goods, for example) became unpleasantly sweet and too mono-flavored/simple-tasting to be enjoyable. (I do still enjoy some special sweet treats, just not all.)

This is not universal, won't work for everyone, but it helps some of us.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Cutting back in processed and high sugar foods helps me have less cravings. I feel that those foods cause rebound hunger for me and I want more more more. Which isn’t to say I don’t eat them at all. Just a lot less. You could either fit in a little daily treat or a bigger treat once or twice a week.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    People will always woo, but keto has really helped me with those cravings, too. I’ve tried limiting sweets and only buying expensive chocolate and whatever, but I never felt in control of cravings until I started keto. Now I still know how good sugar tastes, but it’s not as important to me to experience that as it always used to be. I include some “functional” sweets in my day, like fat bombs, chocolate protein powder, or a chocolate calcium supplement, but I know overeating any of those is a bad idea and I don’t feel especially tempted to do so.

There are people in the world who can eat two squares of dark chocolate each day and feel like life is beautiful; I have tried but I could never be one of them. Keto is a good alternative for me.

Provided you can moderate these. I made them twice before I learned the hard way that the entire tray will be gone in a day, and because they're so high in calories it was even worse than overeating real sweets.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Provided you can moderate these. I made them twice before I learned the hard way that the entire tray will be gone in a day, and because they're so high in calories it was even worse than overeating real sweets.

Relatable! We made a couple of boring, bland, bitter batches before accidentally stumbling across a relatively delicious recipe, and they were pretty tempting. I find, though, that mentally keeping them firmly in the “functional” category helps: their job is to raise my calories through fat while proportionally lowering my carbs. I have a number of foods available to me that will do the same thing, so I try not to lean too hard on fat bombs for that. They’re tools, not toys. ;)

Every eating plan comes with little tricks and strategies that will work for some people and not for others. I’ve never in my life been able to go this long without eating myself sick on empty calories, and if it might work for the OP as well then it’s worth mentioning. And if it doesn’t, there are plenty of other ideas here to try!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Relatable! We made a couple of boring, bland, bitter batches before accidentally stumbling across a relatively delicious recipe, and they were pretty tempting. I find, though, that mentally keeping them firmly in the “functional” category helps: their job is to raise my calories through fat while proportionally lowering my carbs. I have a number of foods available to me that will do the same thing, so I try not to lean too hard on fat bombs for that. They’re tools, not toys. ;)

Every eating plan comes with little tricks and strategies that will work for some people and not for others. I’ve never in my life been able to go this long without eating myself sick on empty calories, and if it might work for the OP as well then it’s worth mentioning. And if it doesn’t, there are plenty of other ideas here to try!

Oh yes, I agree. Trying different things doesn't hurt. My comment was about how different people are and how what helps you moderate would have me overeat (I tend to overeat high fat foods big time).
  • tasha_998
    tasha_998 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find the less I eat of sweets and refined carbs, the less I crave them. I pretty much don't eat sweets (and don't keep them around the house) except for planned treats. I had a piece of baklava yesterday because it was my son's birthday. I won't likely have anything else sweet this month . . . and every day the cravings will diminish. That's how it works for me, at least.

Actually, this goes for bread as well--eating flour and sugar seems to ramp up my cravings and makes it harder for me to stop eating. I can eat one bowl of "pasta" where the noodles are spiralized vegetables. When I make real pasta, I rarely stop at one bowl, even if that was the plan, and for the next few days, I crave more. So recognizing that, I make it for special occasions only, and I make it count. I don't do lower calorie approximations of what I want--if I want a piece of cake, it's going to be full sugar, full fat from a high quality bakery (quality over quantity).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Look at the calories and move on.

I have things I make the are lower in calories and do the trick. I really like greek yogurt and protein shakes though.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    for me.. I will have an orange or mango.. that tends to help
  • peartree99
    peartree99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar (refined) four years ago. I don't crave sweets at all now. My teenager bakes treats quite a bit, but I never eat them, not even tempted anymore. I used to be a complete chocoholic too!
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate and desserts and stuff, I did an experiment last year to go a month without eating any kind of dessert. While the first 1-2 weeks were tough, after that my cravings for it completely went away, and I easily lost an extra 3lbs during that month (which I had been struggling to lose cus I was already at 125lbs). But I found that eating some fruit became as tasty as it used to be to eat some cookies or cake.

I've given back in since then but I think i'm gonna go dessert free again after valentines day to help with getting beach ready for summer.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've become an expert at using overnight oats to curb the cravings.

Made this this morning, which made me feel like I was getting my chocolate fix and more: https://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2015/03/03/black-forest-overnight-oats-chocolate-and-cherries/