Buy my meal replacement shakes and lose weight fast!! Woo alert!

2»

Replies

• philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Ah yes, like one of my ex-coworkers who lost 80 lbs in a year through MFP and working with a personal trainer 4 times a week who now sells It works wraps, pills, etc.

All with her before/after,

Those poor poor suckers.

Oh good grief, that makes me mad! Making money by lying about how you lost the weight, basically pimping herself out!! Garghhh!
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Ok, the title is shameless click bait, but I really need to have a good rant with folks who are of a similar mind!

I've spent the last year losing 63lb (so far, 14lb ish to go) and I have one acquaintance I see every Sunday. She's seen me lose weight, she knows how I've done it and she's asked me for advice.

Now, she's posting on Facebook about how she's lost 7lb in a week doing some meal replacement shake thing, some other crap called 'skinny juice' plus 'body wraps', where you basically cover yourself in goo and expensive cling film and lose inches! I mean, c'mon!!!! So much woo I feel like I'm going to explode!

Apparently, "eating real food doesn't work for everyone" and "not everyone's body works the same"! Sure, because expensive milkshakes will teach you loads about portion control and your body obviously defies the laws of physics! I'd love to know how she thinks this is sustainable. I'm sure she'll lose weight for as long as she drinks the shakes - less calories than what she was eating - but it'll all go back on again, long before the wedding that she wants to be thin for!

Garghhhhhh!!!

There's zero point saying anything to her - she's seen me have success but chosen what she thinks is the easy route - but keeping myself from saying 'you're kidding me, right?!' on a weekly basis is giving me a headache and I really needed to share!

End of rant!

My friend also said she's losing 7 pounds a week in those body wraps and the fruit punches . I won't glorified the company name because I looked them up and they're a scam

It seems like my friend and your friend was told to put the same message on their fb
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Ok, the title is shameless click bait, but I really need to have a good rant with folks who are of a similar mind!

I've spent the last year losing 63lb (so far, 14lb ish to go) and I have one acquaintance I see every Sunday. She's seen me lose weight, she knows how I've done it and she's asked me for advice.

Now, she's posting on Facebook about how she's lost 7lb in a week doing some meal replacement shake thing, some other crap called 'skinny juice' plus 'body wraps', where you basically cover yourself in goo and expensive cling film and lose inches! I mean, c'mon!!!! So much woo I feel like I'm going to explode!

Apparently, "eating real food doesn't work for everyone" and "not everyone's body works the same"! Sure, because expensive milkshakes will teach you loads about portion control and your body obviously defies the laws of physics! I'd love to know how she thinks this is sustainable. I'm sure she'll lose weight for as long as she drinks the shakes - less calories than what she was eating - but it'll all go back on again, long before the wedding that she wants to be thin for!

Garghhhhhh!!!

There's zero point saying anything to her - she's seen me have success but chosen what she thinks is the easy route - but keeping myself from saying 'you're kidding me, right?!' on a weekly basis is giving me a headache and I really needed to share!

End of rant!

My friend also said she's losing 7 pounds a week in those body wraps and the fruit punches . I won't glorified the company name because I looked them up and they're a scam

It seems like my friend and your friend was told to put the same message on their fb
    But IT really WORKS!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I was contacted by a family member on FB asking me how I lost so much weight (didn't post progress pictures, but it's pretty easy to see the progress from what I do post) and I told her (more-or-less) "I found out how many calories I need to consume in order to lose a pound a week and I eat that. I eat less and I move more, period"
    Of course, that simply can't work for everybody because she's a special snowflake who NEEDS something else. So now she's on a low carb diet (20g a day) and constantly contacting me asking "How many carbs are in oranges?" "Are there carbs in nuts?" "Can I eat [such and such food]?" It's annoying af. But I've started telling her that butter is a carb, so at least I can troll a little while I'm at it.

Haha! I wish I knew how to post gifs.

I just think of mean girls when Regina asks, "is butter a carb?"
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I was contacted by a family member on FB asking me how I lost so much weight (didn't post progress pictures, but it's pretty easy to see the progress from what I do post) and I told her (more-or-less) "I found out how many calories I need to consume in order to lose a pound a week and I eat that. I eat less and I move more, period"
    Of course, that simply can't work for everybody because she's a special snowflake who NEEDS something else. So now she's on a low carb diet (20g a day) and constantly contacting me asking "How many carbs are in oranges?" "Are there carbs in nuts?" "Can I eat [such and such food]?" It's annoying af. But I've started telling her that butter is a carb, so at least I can troll a little while I'm at it.

OMG this post had me laughing out loud! Special snowflake LOL for dayzzzzzzzzzzzz!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Zombie thread.
  • Enjcg5
    I know this is an old thread but just week- a FB friend whose family is high level purium person boasted about a 10lb weight loss using their detox for a week etc... and the weight loss will continue using supplements XYZ.... I immediately thought to myself... it was water weight and you were starving! However, they sold some of those detoxes in a matter of minutes. I quickly unfollowed said friend because I was so close to saying things that were not nice.
  • Nudgey02
    Nudgey02 Posts: 24 Member
    This has been a very interesting read, thanks for bumping it with your comment Enjcg5. It might be an old post but still very relevant. Where I live the main scam is Herbalife, everyone seems to be selling it, no one seems to keep their body shape after their 30 day transformation though! They're always back on another transformation, then another a few month later. Definitely not sustainable or healthy.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »

She's a good friend and I'm not going to ruin our friendship by calling her out but I really, really want to.

What I hate is that they're preying on other people's insecurities and giving them false hope. That's what bothers me the most.

1. She will eventually see it doesn't work and stop
    2. Those people probably wouldn't listen to sound reasonable advice anyway, until they reach the point where THEY see it doesn't work and stop.

You see it all the time - no matter how you try to explain to people, they won't listen - until they're ready to listen. They have to exhaust every single avenue, it seems, until they end up at the most obvious place - CICO. Unfortunately so many are willing to throw their money away and live in near-misery because they think it will work - even if you tell them calorie counting is FREE and actually freeing/liberating...they won't hear it.

• jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    I totally get it! I have a coworker who is eating 800 calories a day and it mostly consists of boiled eggs and rice cakes. Drives me crazy how people don’t understand CICO and think they have to follow some fad diet.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    After touting Shaklee products as pure and scientifically proven, I asked the friend of my cousin who posted this nonsense to please cite unbiased, scientific proof. That was yesterday AM. So far, crickets.
  • Enjcg5
    Nudgey02 wrote: »
    This has been a very interesting read, thanks for bumping it with your comment Enjcg5. It might be an old post but still very relevant. Where I live the main scam is Herbalife, everyone seems to be selling it, no one seems to keep their body shape after their 30 day transformation though! They're always back on another transformation, then another a few month later. Definitely not sustainable or healthy.
    Oh don’t get me started on that one! I follow a girl on Instagram who was all about health and fitness, then became a rep for them, lost a ton of weight etc. turns out she has 2 of the shakes and 2 snacks/day. I would literally be chewing my fingers off if that’s what I had to eat every single day. How long is something like that even sustainable for? I keep following because it’s a complete train wreck and I’m hoping she starts maintaining soon.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I got into a couple comments with a friend from school who discovered Thrive. Disappointed me to see someone I thought sensible spouting all the woo.