Things you think of while exercising

Options

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, I especially like how one random thought leads to another, to another, to another and they are not really related except by the very thinnest thread.

Sometimes, I wonder, "What's that smell? Dead animal? What kind? Where is it? Maybe it's a person. They say runners always find the bodies."

I think about people, sometimes the ones I see on the trail. Often I find myself thinking, "Wow, she needs a better sports bra. She's going to regret that."

I think about running in New York. I think about my dad. I think about people on MFP all the time. So many people on here crack me up.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    "only five more minutes on this treadmill. Only 4 more minutes on this treadmill. Only 3 more minutes on this treadmill....."

I hate cardio with a passion.

Listen to podcasts that you love (that will help a ton!). Check out some of the more funny ones out there (careful though, you may have to fight not laughing out loud).

Oh... I always am listening to something. I'm mostly into lifting and just do cardio to get warmed up.
  • skaliya
    skaliya Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been running for past 3 years and couple of months ago ran my first half-marathon in Cape cod. I remember when I first started running even half a mile was a himalayan task!!! In my opinion if you run regularly by slowly increasing your distance and building mental strength, you should be able to run more than 30 mins or so in 2-3 months time frame
  • spampeg
    spampeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1) Ow. Rock. Ow. In. Ow. Shoe. Ow. Hurts.

2) Damnit, the sun is really bright. I need to stop forgetting my sunglasses.

3) I can't let them pass me (people running on the track). Even if nobody else knows I got passed by a girl, I'll know. (Yes, I know it's a bit sexist... and yes, I continue to get passed)

4) I wonder if the music in next weeks C25K is as good as this one? ( free NHS C25K podcast )

5) A few weeks ago I was struggling to run <x amount of time>. What will I be like in two weeks? old me is so slow, new me is fast.

6) If I slow down/speed up a little, my steps can match the beats of this song.

7) Wonder what that other person running is listening to?

8) I'm not sure what dinner will be, but whatever it is, I earned it.

9) That guy needs to put a shirt on! Well, ok. If I was in that good of shape, I wouldn't wear a shirt either.

I pretty much think about everything and anything, and my mind just drifts.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    a wonderful realization I came to this spring shortly after dedicating my marthon training to a little girl at my daughter's school who is fighting cancer is that I GET TO DO THIS...it is my choice and I am fortunate to be able to torment myself in such a wonderful way...my friend HAS to be with her little girl while she pukes from Chemo...I GET to run 15 miles as a training run...I am pretty lucky that the toughest thing I do most days is done willingly and excitedly.
  • annabaloo
    Options
    I just started a running program that my uncle used when he started running (he's now a multi-time Boston Marathon runner, and multiple Ironman). It was created by Budd Coates (giving credit where credit is due)

Walk for 20 minutes a day for four days, then increase to 30 minutes a day for four more days. Then your legs are ready to start running.

Run Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Take Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday off.

Week 1: Run for 2 minutes, walk for 4. Repeat 5 times.
    Week 2: Run for 3 minutes, walk for 3. Repeat 5 times.
    Week 3: Run for 5 minutes, walk for 2.5. Repeat 4 times.
    Week 4: Run for 7 minutes, walk for 3. Repeat 3 times.
    Week 5: Run for 8 minutes, walk for 2. Repeat 3 times.
    Week 6: Run for 9 minutes, walk for 2. Repeat twice, then run for 8 minutes.
    Week 7: Run for 9 minutes, walk for 1. Repeat 3 times.
    Week 8: Run for 13 minutes, walk for 2. Repeat twice.
    Week 9: Run for 14 minutes, walk for 1. Repeat twice.
    Week 10: Run for 30 minutes.

If Week 10 is too difficult, repeat Week 9.

Hope this helps! I completed this program last summer, successfully completed a 5k race, but fell out of it during the winter. I'm back on track again and hope to keep it up!
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I think wow it's so quiet. With a house full of 4 kids, a husband and 3 dogs I never have any quiet. Running gives me that so I try to enjoy it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Here lately I keep thinking about:

1. I need new shoes
    2. I need some underwear that fit properly
    3. It is so effing hot out here
    4. I look at the time and think "I can do anything for 20 minutes..." " I can do anything for 10 minutes.." etc.

Haha pretty much me too! Why is it that underwear is so uncomfortable these days....especially for working out! And don't get me started on sport bras.....torturous contraptions!!
  • kelsully
    Options
    I have 4 kids too and I do desperately enjoy the quiet or the chance to listen to music that makes me smile.....I have a busy mind and thus it wanders ...so much so that I make myself giggle sometimes....
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

6) If I slow down/speed up a little, my steps can match the beats of this song.

Yup, that's me! If I don't have music, I usually try to remember an old running cadence from way back when, and usually end up with that stuck in my head until I'm done.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    How funny. I had a similar conversation with my wife a couple of days ago. My wife found it strange and I am sure it is a little, but I do math in my head when I am jogging. When I go out, I am gone for 1 to 2 hours and while I am jogging I will do math problems. Not like math problems you would normally do in school, but like real life equations. For example: A place I run tends to have a lot of cars that speed. It is a really steep downhill slope, which is the reason I run up it. Love that incline. But the cars come screaming down the hill. At the bottom of the hill, cops are usually hanging out waiting for people. So in my head, I can determine the speed of a car. Then I calculate the number of cars that speed x the cost of each speeding ticket, and I come up with a value the city makes on traffic violations.

But I mostly do my finances in my head. Thinking about reoccurring bills and where cost can be cut. Reevaluating where our money is right now and where I can put it to have it “work for us” better. I come up with financial plans that we actually end up putting into practice and we have been able to reduce my over living expenses with small changes while maximizing ROI. I even came up with a plan to pay off our house in 5-7 years instead of 30 years.

I know it is strange. People said I should have gone in finance or be a financial planner. But because of this strange obsession with numbers I have been able to pretty much have zero debt. My wife and I own 4 cars (2005 Corvette, 2008 Nissan Rogue, 2010 Mazda 3, 2010 VW Beetle). All paid off within 6 months of buying. I personally hate paying interest on anything so we pay off car loans fast. We have zero credit card bills. So the only thing left we need to tackle is the mortgage. And it about 5-7 years, that will be gone as well.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Some others for me:

"Dayum.....she's hot" , come on we all think it from time to time.

When I'm lifting:

"HULK SMASH...aaarrrg"
    "One more rep"
    "Ok maybe not one more rep"
    "I'm feeling a good pump today"
    "oooo....that's going to hurt later"
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm thinking, "Omg this is insane and I hate Tony Horton was a passion"
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    - okay... step, twist, shimmy drop, kick, hop and step, twist shimmy drop kick, swivel
    - I hope my rubber band doesn't break again
    - don't they make enough money to have an a/c
    - seriously, I need to buy new undies.... I'm sick of the twisting and falling down situation
    - why is that guy even here.... he's just parading around
    - don't laugh, don't laugh.... (grunting and flexing cracks me up)
    - why are these people always showing Cupcake Wars on the tv in front of the treadmills?????

..... plus other stuff, but that's not a forum appropriate thing, so I'm keeping it to myself ; )
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm thinking, "Omg this is insane and I hate Tony Horton was a passion"

*with* a passion
  • kelsully
    Options
    How funny. I had a similar conversation with my wife a couple of days ago. My wife found it strange and I am sure it is a little, but I do math in my head when I am jogging. When I go out, I am gone for 1 to 2 hours and while I am jogging I will do math problems. Not like math problems you would normally do in school, but like real life equations. For example: A place I run tends to have a lot of cars that speed. It is a really steep downhill slope, which is the reason I run up it. Love that incline. But the cars come screaming down the hill. At the bottom of the hill, cops are usually hanging out waiting for people. So in my head, I can determine the speed of a car. Then I calculate the number of cars that speed x the cost of each speeding ticket, and I come up with a value the city makes on traffic violations.

But I mostly do my finances in my head. Thinking about reoccurring bills and where cost can be cut. Reevaluating where our money is right now and where I can put it to have it “work for us” better. I come up with financial plans that we actually end up putting into practice and we have been able to reduce my over living expenses with small changes while maximizing ROI. I even came up with a plan to pay off our house in 5-7 years instead of 30 years.

I know it is strange. People said I should have gone in finance or be a financial planner. But because of this strange obsession with numbers I have been able to pretty much have zero debt. My wife and I own 4 cars (2005 Corvette, 2008 Nissan Rogue, 2010 Mazda 3, 2010 VW Beetle). All paid off within 6 months of buying. I personally hate paying interest on anything so we pay off car loans fast. We have zero credit card bills. So the only thing left we need to tackle is the mortgage. And it about 5-7 years, that will be gone as well.

I will shortly be returning to the classroom as a biology and physcis teacher. I took a 10 year break to have a bunch of kids. I do math in my head too. I will count respirations. I will do fractions and then convert into decimals. I will figure how much faster I will finish if I change my pace bu 8 seconds...now my 4 seconds etc....keeps my mind from getting bored that is for sure.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    the only thing i think about is how many calories i am burning and how much food i can eat afterwards

^ That and "My god! Why is it so stinking hot in this room?" :P

DEATH TO THE TREADMILL!!!! The roads are always open, are free, and can take you anywhere- especially to your fitness goals!

oh... I probably should've specified that I don't run... And when I try to, it is definitely done outdoors. So, no treadmill. I get my sweat on with one of the various workout DVD's that I own.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Today's 5k Thoughts:

Wow, I haven't run in awhile
    Why does the wind change the direction everywhere I go so that it's going against me...what happened to the wind beneath my wings, why can't it be the wind beneath my feet. Or my *kitten*. My *kitten* looked good in these pants.
    Do NOT check your watch until you hit your mile marker
    Don't push too hard, gonna run again tonight
    Damnit, Koda, this is not the time for a potty break
    My shins hurt. I might need new shoes. I love these shoes. I need to do the training and get these shoes again. I didn't like the Merrell Seismic. Not for running. Asics Gel-Enduro 6. Maybe they'll have a different color. Maybe I can get a...DAMNIT KODA...
    *sigh* poop faster **tapping feet & dancing**
    Hope the people that live there don't expect me to clean that up
    HOLY **** I DID A 9 MINUTE MILE!
    Next light post. One more corner.
    My lungs are tired. Still breathing. Keep going.
    I need to pack.
    My legs are tired, I'm gonna feel this later.
    I need to clean the floors and finish the laundry.
    10 minute mile, keep going. Keep pace. I want a sub-35 min 5k.
    Push. Push. Come on, Koda, we got this. Come on, baby.
    SPRINT SPRINT SPRINT 33:14 YEAH BABY!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I do deep often, I play therapist a lot while I run, it keeps me distracted.

I also go REALLY shallow. I was the kid who had the most vivid fantasy worlds and I'd make everyone play too, after I told them the rules of my made up land. And, well, not a lot has changed. I've got a wild imagination:
    I've cured cancer
    I've cured the gluten problem, in my mind I found a way to use quinoa to make gf food just as awesome as gluten food (when I tried this as a practical at home I was much less successful.)
    My favorite actor's managers have called and BEGGED me to train them/be their cooks (yeah, I don't have fun fantasies about them, just me in the kitchen making them protein pancakes and kicking their butts in the gym.
    I also like to plan how I'll react to people when they see me and I'm all hot and awesome.

I sound really vain, I'm not, but when I run all my awesomeness starts flowing.
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    I work out very, VERY early in the morning -- before my brain is fully awake. That way, I hardly notice what I'm doing until it's over! Works like a charm! ;D