Ladies into Weightlifiting!

Options

Replies

• mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started working out in November. 40 years old and had never been to a gym (yes, seriously!), but I really like the strength portion of the workout vids I was doing, so I decided to take a community ed weights class for women. It's the first time the instructor has taught this class, so it is a little disjointed and disorganized, but it gotten me comfortable with walking in the weight room and using the equipment in general.

Since I lost my job, I've been going in every other day during the dead times so I can play around. But I do find myself feeling extremely self conscience the second anyone else walks in. It's a local rec center in a small town, so it's not the greatest and biggest selection of equipment, but it's affordable and gets me started.
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a class on weightlifting at my local gym next month and I'm excited to learn the basics! Super interested in starting a program that uses a barbell. Never thought I'd want to get into weightlifting but now I can't wait. Right now I'm doing bodyweight exercises 2-3x a week.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,277 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I just started general strength training, and my recovery takes forever. I'm incredibly well hydrated and I usually hit my protein goals, but my muscles are killing me on the regular. Any recommendations?
    Get used to it lol. Just kidding. Are you stretching after your workouts? I find using a foam roller after helps, and a warm bath with epson salt. I also use glutamine. Seems to help me with muscle recovery.

I don't use my foam roller nearly enough, and I did a bit of stretching, but had to rush off to take care of a few things, so I probably didn't adequately stretch. Thanks!
    I just started general strength training, and my recovery takes forever. I'm incredibly well hydrated and I usually hit my protein goals, but my muscles are killing me on the regular. Any recommendations?

I find the moderate to higher carbs really helps. Also: are you sleeping well? What is your overall deficit? Is it too aggressive?
    sardelsa wrote: »

What program are you running? Are you in a steep deficit?

I've been doing a low carb thing for a while, maybe it's time to switch it up. I'll have to try it out.
    1. I'm getting 7-8 hours a night regularly, a little less on weekends (my body likes waking me up at 6:30 if I'm not awake yet, which ruins a lot of socializing at night for me)
    2. Overall deficit: I'm running on 1400-1500 calories a day
    3. It's a new regiment, so my body is still getting used to the motions, which is probably why it hurts so much. After I do it a bit longer, my muscles should get used to this, right?

Thanks for the help, ladies! I'm still figuring out how to incorporate strength workouts into my fitness plan.

• mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Do you know any trusted sources for recommended weight programs or routines? My goals are to strengthen my legs so I can avoid running injuries and to build upper body strength for a Tough Mudder. Thanks so much.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    mousemom18 wrote: »
    Hi ladies! Do you know any trusted sources for recommended weight programs or routines? My goals are to strengthen my legs so I can avoid running injuries and to build upper body strength for a Tough Mudder. Thanks so much.

Here is a great list you can check out
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I started working out in November. 40 years old and had never been to a gym (yes, seriously!), but I really like the strength portion of the workout vids I was doing, so I decided to take a community ed weights class for women. It's the first time the instructor has taught this class, so it is a little disjointed and disorganized, but it gotten me comfortable with walking in the weight room and using the equipment in general.

Since I lost my job, I've been going in every other day during the dead times so I can play around. But I do find myself feeling extremely self conscience the second anyone else walks in. It's a local rec center in a small town, so it's not the greatest and biggest selection of equipment, but it's affordable and gets me started.

what's the question?
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lift! Feel free to add me also. Recently I’ve also gotten into some videos of Jullian Michaels too, but I feel stong when I’m lifting. :)
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    yoliyoda wrote: »
    Any tips, advice, programs will be definitely appreciated. I don't just want to look fit, i actually want to be fit.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hi !!

I am also a lifter ;) (who woulda thunk THAT 2 years ago Tsssss)

I am on a weight loss journey and am down 62 pounds and have about 23 to go. I started incorporating strength training last year and I love the difference it makes on my body. The scale has another opinion of me lol but that's fine with me. For me, slow and steady is best as I was diagnosed with BED (Binge Eating Disorder) in 2015.
    I started lifting with Chalean Extreme then stopped... went on the complete a Round of Piyo (bodyweight training) and I am now 3 weeks away from completing a full round of Hammer and Chisel. No, I am not a BBCoach nor do I strive to be. ;)

I love lifting. I am definitely addicted AND PROUD OF IT ! :mrgreen:
    I love hitting PB and I just want more and more !!

I have a vacation planned end of March and when I get back on April 1st I am starting P90X.

Please feel free to add me to keep one another accountable and support each other !

A few of us have a side group on here of people who want accountability and the team aspect of it. We post our weekly plan and keep one another informed during the week... It's really motivating ! 4 of us are on Hammer and Chisel right now, one on P90X and one is training for a Half Marathon.
    --- If anyone wants to join, just wite me, I'll tell you where to go ;) ---
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

what's the question?

Am I supposed to have one? I was just commenting.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I lift as part of my overall training program (I'm not looking for bulk or any particular body shape/look). I do 'heavy' lifting 3-day splits on weeks 1 and 3, and a CrossFit inspired lifting program 3 days on weeks 2 and 4. The other two days a week are more of a muscle endurance routine as that is a big need for my racing. Weekends are just work or riding (so, sport specific training).
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    After doing some investigating, I'm going to start StrongLifts 5x5 next week. I'm excited, but intimidated.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ^^
    Good for you! You will be surprised with how much confidence you build with lifting (least for me.)...and I feel it can be IMO normal to feel some intimidation (me when I began) but how once you get in your groove you wonder why you didn’t pick it up sooner!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    After doing some investigating, I'm going to start StrongLifts 5x5 next week. I'm excited, but intimidated.

Stronglifts is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Don't worry too much about adding 5-10lbs per workout though. Take as long as you need to to master the form and get comfortable with the lifts before increasing. The smaller the fractional plates you have, the better. I like 5x5 and add some extra glute work. If I can't increase the weight for 5x5, I might only do one set at the higher weight or do 4x6 or 5x6 at the same weight before increasing.
  • yoliyoda
    Options

Stronglifts is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Don't worry too much about adding 5-10lbs per workout though. Take as long as you need to to master the form and get comfortable with the lifts before increasing. The smaller the fractional plates you have, the better. I like 5x5 and add some extra glute work. If I can't increase the weight for 5x5, I might only do one set at the higher weight or do 4x6 or 5x6 at the same weight before increasing.

Thank you so much for the info. I can barely control the bar with no weight and was wondering about adding weight. Thank you, this is the kind of info I need.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is a useful article about increasing weights and loads on the barbell.

https://www.niashanks.com/women-fractional-plates-barbell-exercises/
  • yoliyoda
    Options
    This is a useful article about increasing weights and loads on the barbell.

https://www.niashanks.com/women-fractional-plates-barbell-exercises/

I decided to make my own fractional plates, will purchase the necessary items tomorrow.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I started lifting weights, then progressed to powerlifting over 2 years ago. I'm prepping for my 8th powerlifting meet next Sunday!
  • abiskeet
    abiskeet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've just started getting back into weights after about 3 years of nothing and need some support to stay motivated. Feel free to add me x
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi I’ve added you all