How to choose a good trainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• TaffyBranwyn
    TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Given your scoliosis I agree with everyone who has suggested a physical therapist (another word for that is "physio"). I get that you don't have the money for one right now so it might mean taking time off of whatever weight training you were doing until you can save the money to find one/until you have insurance coverage that would cover one. I get that you might not want to take time off but if the other option is continually injuring/reinjuring yourself then it seems like a bit of a no brainer.

I mentioned before that I've stopped due to recurring injuries & addressed everything else in previous posts. Why are people not reading my posts before offering such useful critique?
    wrote:
    Someone also already suggested a hospital based fitness center and I'd second that. I'm not sure how common they are (I think there's only one in my city - above my PT's office actually) and I'm not sure how expensive they tend to be (my one anecdotal example is absurdly expensive), but they would likely have personal trainers who are knowledgeable enough to work with someone with scoliosis in a way that is effective and safe.

Right, already mentioned. Thanks for seconding that... as I mentioned, I'm relocating in 2-days, so once settled, I'll look around.
    wrote:
    As much as you may not have wanted to admit it in your first post, where you said, "BTW, I'm healthy, reasonably fit & not overweight, so there shouldn't be any obstacles." scoliosis is an obstacle. Not an insurmountable one by any means, but it is an obstacle.

I really wish people would stop taking my works out of context... the shouldn't be obstacles comments meant with my ability to work out. I'm getting fed up with the "mean wells" calling me deformed, suggesting self help books & finger wagging. I feel like most of what I've said has been taken piece meal. I don't understand what you hope to achieve here...
  • TaffyBranwyn
    TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm offline for a month as I'll be on the road, beginning tomorrow, so won't be back to comment. Carry on with the thread if you wish. I'm done with the thread now. I appreciate the advice. Happy Valentine's Day.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I mentioned before that I've stopped due to recurring injuries & addressed everything else in previous posts. Why are people not reading my posts before offering such useful critique?
    Recurring injuries says nothing about what the actual issue is. Absolutely nothing. Given the tone of your posts I would expect that you'd know that. Contrary to what you may believe at least some of us have read all of your posts. Whether or not you want to read what we have to say is another matter.
    wrote:
    As much as you may not have wanted to admit it in your first post, where you said, "BTW, I'm healthy, reasonably fit & not overweight, so there shouldn't be any obstacles." scoliosis is an obstacle. Not an insurmountable one by any means, but it is an obstacle.

I really wish people would stop taking my works out of context... the shouldn't be obstacles comments meant with my ability to work out. I'm getting fed up with the "mean wells" calling me deformed, suggesting self help books & finger wagging. I feel like most of what I've said has been taken piece meal. I don't understand what you hope to achieve here...
    No one is taking your posts out of context. If anything the last bit that you quoted from me was showing the context that you failed to mention in your original post. You are coming off as all sorts of defensive for no apparent reason. I don't think I've read anything this thread that comes close to nessistating that attitude. As I said, whether you want to admit it or not (and it appears you don't want to), having scoliosis is going to make various types of exercises more complicated. I'm not sure why you think that isn't the case given that you've mentioned your cycle of getting injured. I personally am not quite sure what you are looking to get out of this. Here's to hoping your move goes well and you easily find a healthcare provider (a physical therapist more specifically) who can work with you.