Counting veg and salad

Options
I’m seriously thinking of using mfp.
I am currently doing Weightwatchers and to be honest I’m sick of it! I’m no better off and I keep starting and stopping.
This might sound like a stupid question!
But do you all count your vegetables and salad, not including starchy veg because I know they do have a lot of calories.
Thankyou for reading and the dumb question :-(

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. When you don't have a high calorie budget, every little bit counts. If you're refering to the entire salad, it's really necessary since the condiments can push your calorie count way up, and of course if you like cheese, or meat, or tuna, etc. etc......you can wind up with a 1000cal salad. The only thing I don't log is tea (no sugar) and spices.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, weigh and log everything that you eat
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I weigh everything with calories, with the exception of spices. I eat 100s of calories of vegies and fruit a day, I'd not get results if I didn't count them as I'd just use the calories on other things.
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely log everything you eat, it's the only way to accurately count calories. Also you'll learn more about yourself by seeing the nutrient breakdown of the foods you're eating, and based on that you can assess or readjust what foods you should/want to eat more of.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log everything. It helps you get used to portion sizes too. I have a salad pretty much every day and am so used to knowing how many calories in a portion I could probably do it without weighing, which will be good for maintenance.
  • lisabobczuk
    lisabobczuk Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply’s! I will do as you all say.
    I was also wondering about herbs and spices and you have cleared that up for me :-)
    Like you also say, once you get a visual of the usual stuff you eat daily and know the calories, then there will be no need to weigh them every time.
    Thankyou :-)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Weightwatchers and to be honest I’m sick of it! I’m no better off and I keep starting and stopping.
    But do you all count your vegetables and salad, not including starchy veg because I know they do have a lot of calories.

I weigh and log salad ingredients because:
    1. It's become a good habit and habits don't require much thought or discipline to maintain.
    2. Once you get used to a routine that suits your style, weighing ingredients doesn't really take much time or effort.
    3. Ingredients like avocado, nuts, boiled eggs, and fruit make a salad better and tote a nutritional and caloric load.
    4. Listing all the ingredients on paper, keyboard, or an Alexa list encourages me to include more variety.
    As for herbs and spices, I try to include them all because I'm paying much closer attention to micronutrients than I used to.
  • lisabobczuk
    lisabobczuk Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

I weigh and log salad ingredients because:
    1. It's become a good habit and habits don't require much thought or discipline to maintain.
    2. Once you get used to a routine that suits your style, weighing ingredients doesn't really take much time or effort.
    3. Ingredients like avocado, nuts, boiled eggs, and fruit make a salad better and tote a nutritional and caloric load.
    4. Listing all the ingredients on paper, keyboard, or an Alexa list encourages me to include more variety.
    As for herbs and spices, I try to include them all because I'm paying much closer attention to micronutrients than I used to.

Thankyou for replying to my thread, it’s really kind you have taken the time out to reply to me!

I’m going to take your idea on board about adding fruit to a salad. That will take it to another level for flavour, Thankyou. :-)