18 week analysis, how can I improve?

Options
tomjanecourtney
tomjanecourtney Posts: 97 Member
Age 62 and after 46 lb loss in previous 6 months.
Weight now 180 19.3 % fat
Macros of P 45% (average 220g) - F 25% - C 30%
Weight training 3 times per week (ave 2 hours hard)
No cardio (hate it)
In 18 weeks I have lost 9lbs of weight, all fat with lean mass maintained ( no increase in muscle :( )

Worked out to reach my target of 15% fat I have to do the same again ie. lose another 9 lbs of fat if I can’t increase my muscle. Likely to take more than 18 weeks given slowdown....

Any suggestions......

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I think the obvious answer is the one you don't want to hear: you probably need to work some cardio into your routine. Have you tried different options? I hated the treadmill, but found using the elliptical at moderate intensity to be relaxing. Biking may be an option too.

Moving past the cardio, what is your height and current daily calorie goal?
  • tomjanecourtney
    Options
    I’m 5’ 10” and managing to maintain 2200 calories, with discipline. My cals over the 18 weeks have averaged 2150.
    I lift pretty hard 3 times per week and don’t think there is much I can reasonably do to increase muscle. Wish I could find the magic key to gain 4 or 5 lbs of muscle at my age.....that would ease my calorie restriction and make maintenance much more realistic.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’ 10” and managing to maintain 2200 calories, with discipline. My cals over the 18 weeks have averaged 2150.
    I lift pretty hard 3 times per week and don’t think there is much I can reasonably do to increase muscle. Wish I could find the magic key to gain 4 or 5 lbs of muscle at my age.....that would ease my calorie restriction and make maintenance much more realistic.

As you already know there is no magic key. You have to be in a surplus to gain muscle. With increasing age I have to work twice as hard. I also cannot eat too much otherwise I gain fat. Either you incorporate cardio or eat less.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

In 18 weeks I have lost 9lbs of weight, all fat with lean mass maintained ( no increase in muscle :( )
    What test did you have to determine your body composition?

• tomjanecourtney
    Options
    I use a Boditrax http://boditrax.com
    Stand on and hold electrodes job, I know these type of scanners are not accurate but I have had 7 scans over the 18 weeks, dismissing one as it was wildly out.
    Good for indicative purposes and the 6 scans will show a trend. Would like to treat myself to a proper scan when I get near to 15%, if ever :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and have your T-count checked? Get it supplemented if it's low?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    ...Look into Test boosters, they are sold over the counter and are relatively harmless if used properly, some are fake though so beware. Also at your age (no offense lol) I'd check your natural test levels and if you'd be interested maybe start on some test therapy that might be an option for you in that regard...

Any "test booster" that's sold over the counter is bogus, 100% useless and a complete waste of money. Sure they're "relatively harmless" - that's because they don't do anything. If they actually boosted your test levels to any significant extent, the FDA would be all over them and they would be shut down in a very short time.

Don't be a victim of the fraud and advertising hype of the supplement industry.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Macros of P 45% (average 220g) - F 25% - C 30%
    Weight training 3 times per week (ave 2 hours hard)
    No cardio (hate it)

Worked out to reach my target of 15% fat I have to do the same again ie. lose another 9 lbs of fat if I can’t increase my muscle. Likely to take more than 18 weeks given slowdown....

Any suggestions......

I'm no expert, but a couple of thoughts that popped into mind:

As you get lighter, weight loss does get slower and more difficult. And since you are concerned about muscle, slow is best anyway.

It is pretty hard to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. While some people in certain circumstances can, it's likely you aren't one of them.

If you want to focus on losing more fat, you need to eat at a deficit and accept that your goal is to preserve muscle until you are done with weight loss. If you want to focus on gaining muscle, maybe consider eating at a surplus and putting on some weight and see if you are happier with a higher weight and more muscle. Your third option is a recomp, which is eating at maintenance and being super patient to lose weight and build muscle s-u-p-e-r slow. Like over years.

It couldn't hurt to get some blood work done to see if there are any medical reasons why you can't build muscle. I'm not familiar with that area at all.
  • tomjanecourtney
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Appreciate the suggestions, keep ‘em coming. This is what I’ve decided.....

Maybe I should continue on my current plan with a few tweaks. I do tend towards impatience. I’m very pleased with my new body shape, probably best it’s ever been.
    Want them abs though :wink:

I’ve decided to ...

Get a blood test done, can’t do any harm can it?

Accept I’ll probably never get a ‘do you work out’ comment from a pretty girl at my age now :blush:

Modify my training to feature more progressive overload. Starting with 4 weeks of Dropsets to hammer the old muscles then 4 weeks of Stronglift 5x5. Recording and increasing either weight or reps meticulously.

Increase core exercises in my routine. Recently added a little core exercise and can see a hint of abs in my ‘Rose Tinted Mirror’

Re-introduce the old supplements I’ve dropped recently. I’ve calculated the dosage recommended, and made up a one scoop twice a day mixture of BCAA’s, Glutamine, Creatine, Supergreen 5 a day and daily Vitamins. It tastes ok

Try to increase the Protein from food percentage, currently 50/50 food and shakes. Research ‘good carbs’
  • tomjanecourtney
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Then.....

Re-assess after the 8 weeks and consider introducing the dreaded Cardio if necessary (that’ll concentrate my efforts :wink: )

Comments and suggestions welcome.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Re-introduce the old supplements I’ve dropped recently. I’ve calculated the dosage recommended, and made up a one scoop twice a day mixture of BCAA’s, Glutamine, Creatine, Supergreen 5 a day and daily Vitamins. It tastes ok

You could save yourself some money and get rid of the BCAAs (useless and probably counter-productive), glutamine (useless) and supergreens (useless). Get adequate protein intake, take 5g creatine monohydrate/day and a multivitamin.
  • tomjanecourtney
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oops

• tomjanecourtney
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

You could save yourself some money and get rid of the BCAAs (useless and probably counter-productive), glutamine (useless) and supergreens (useless). Get adequate protein intake, take 5g creatine monohydrate/day and a multivitamin.

Ive read the reports, opinions vary though.
    I used to take them when progressing well, bought them and have a couple of months supply in stock. May as well use ‘em up, can’t do any harm. It’ll actually free up some space on my boat, never a bad thing :)
  • tomjanecourtney
    Options
    The oops was inserted as I double posted and couldn’t delete a post without ‘body’ :blush:
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the suggestions, keep ‘em coming. This is what I’ve decided.....

Modify my training to feature more progressive overload. Starting with 4 weeks of Dropsets to hammer the old muscles then 4 weeks of Stronglift 5x5. Recording and increasing either weight or reps meticulously.

Is SL 5x5 your current program?
    If your main goal is hypertrophy, Stronglifts is not really the most optimal program for muscle gains..

And as mentioned, you've been in a calorie deficit. Not many people are able to gain muscle in a deficit. If you've lost fat and maintained your current muscle, that's a win.
    I would say continue to lose fat for a bit and then try a slight calorie surplus for the muscle gains. It's going to be two separate things.

It doesn't sound like you necessarily need to "improve" anything, aside from adjusting your expectations.
  • tomjanecourtney
    edited February 2018
    Options
    not_a_runner

Plan to do a Dropsets routine for 4 weeks then thought maybe SL 5x5 purely to mix things up a bit. Tried SL briefly a few months ago but dropped it as my back/core wasn’t strong enough and I had a niggling shoulder injury.

But if a bind sticking to 2200 cals and only losing 1/2 lb per week while working so hard in the gym. Jealous of these guys who maintain at 3000+ :( but over the moon at maintaining my lean body mass during this cut.

Of course your spot on with the “expectation” problem. I have always been impatient, I dive into everything head first, buy all the gear then work far too hard.
    I get results though and I’m pleased with my new body shape.
    Just want them abs and I want ‘em now!

I’ll re-assess after the 4 weeks Dropsets and decide whether SL 5x5 is right for me or try another program....
  • tomjanecourtney
    Options
    15 hours and 1 sleep since yesterday’s 1st Dropsets workout in my new regime and them old muscles are aching nicely, reminding me they’re there :wink:
    My ‘rose tinted mirror’ is getting well used :blush:

Yesterday I hit heavy compound lifts for Chest, Shoulders and back, 2 exercises each, 5 sets of 8 ish reps last one to failure then Dropsetted (new word?)

Not going to be too anal about sticking to a strict, laid out gym regime like I’ve done up to now. Depending on how I feel I may do lower weight but higher rep dropsets next time but ensuring I end up the week having done a good range of exercises on 3 visits. Plus 1 session doing Arms and 1 session of legs. Will also throw in an ab exercise each session.

So 5 days/visits per week but for days I can’t get to the gym I have bought an EZ bar, plates and Powerblock dumbbells for the odd session on the boat. No excuses accepted.
    Have also decided to treat myself to an extra 100 calories on Training days :smile:
    Will stick to this and re-assess after 4 weeks.

Who knows I may even pluck up the courage to post a pic after the 4 weeks.

Gym junkies rock :smiley: