vegitarian spacetti sauce - protein source

Options
I'm going to try making a vegetarian spaghetti sauce. I need a protein source to add to it. I'm thinking some type of bean, but not sure which would be best. Currently would use roma tomatoes, onion, green bell peppers, bella mushrooms. Just need to add a protein source. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are a protein source, though an incomplete/smaller one. If I were going to use beans in pasta sauce, I'd probably use black beans or lentils, but that's just a taste preference. Tempeh is another possibility. Yet another would be to use chickpea or lentil pasta, and worry less about the sauce.

I'd add cheese on top, too, but I'm ovo-lacto veg & maybe you aren't. :)
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Lentils work well in bolognaise type sauce
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Barilla makes a protein enhanced pasta:

https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/proteinplus/proteinplus-spaghetti

That takes the pressure off the protein content of the sauce ingredients.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    personally, I would go with faux "meatballs" or veggie "crumbles" or veggie Italian-style "sausage." I do lots of dishes with beans in their basic form, but in a pasta sauce, I want something that emulates the familiar texture and flavor. Or just do lots of mushrooms, maybe eggplant, and cheese (I personally like cold cottage cheese added to pasta and tomato-based sauce) -- you say vegetarian, not vegan, but if you don't do dairy, you could add a vegan cheese.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I've added dry "tvp". Lentils would also be good.
  • ninalemon
    ninalemon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like white beans (great northern beans) with red sauce.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone..... I am not actually vegetarian, I just want to experment a little. I am trying to keep the calories down. I don't eat much beef and I have tried ground turkey in spaghetti sauce before and didn't like it, so thought I would try vegetarian. I guess I will experment with lentils and white or black beans or just increase the mushroom content.
  • nycoleman5
    nycoleman5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could always serve it over protein pastas! Or add vegetarian meatballs (very tasty!).
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yves has a Veggie Ground Round that works nicely in spaghetti sauce. It has the same texture as ground beef but made of soy. If available where you live.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    Cranky old vegetarian lady opinion: Fake meats are Not Good, mostly.

I'm dimly recalling that @amusedmonkey (a much less cranky person than I ;) ) had an especially good pasta sauce formula, but I've varied the basics thus forgotten the details. Ground-up dried mushrooms for sure, lentils (red, I think), tomatoes, maybe caramelized onions, garlic, herbs? Hearty, satiating, protein-rich, and delicious.

Maybe she will comment.
  • becgraceevemaggie
    becgraceevemaggie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not into quorn but they do a lovely fake meat ball that's lovely with anything tomato and pasta. Beans wise I'd go through them all and find your fav.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Barilla makes a protein enhanced pasta:

https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/proteinplus/proteinplus-spaghetti

That takes the pressure off the protein content of the sauce ingredients.

ehhhhh
    regular barilla pasta - per serving 200 calories- 7 grams of protein
    Protein barilla- per serving 190 calories - 10 grams protein

Let's not get to ahead of ourselves with "protein plus" that's being a little generous.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've added dry "tvp".

^This.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If doing a basic bolognese style I'd use tempeh for the texture, probably, although I understand seitan would work well, I just don't cook with it much.

There are tons of traditional recipes involving pasta with white beans, which I also would recommend, as it's a good combination.

I think chickpeas would be nice.

For black beans and lentils I'd probably make a different meal, but that's just me.

Another option is to use something like udon noodles and do a stir fry with tofu.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I support the lentil option. I've had lentil spaghetti before and really enjoyed it. Don't expect it to taste like meat; approach it as its own new flavor. I also put lentils in my eggplant lasagna and they work beautifully. You can just simmer the lentils in your spaghetti sauce until they're tender.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Red lentils are amazing in spaghetti sauce. They kind of "melt" into it and just create a delicious proteiny thickness.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas for the win! Pasta e Ceci, fell in love with this when I was in Rome a couple of years ago.
    Recipe http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/pasta-e-ceci-jamie-oliver-366352
  • marycp1962
    marycp1962 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the sauce -- Nate's Meatless Meatballs to the rescue
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    lentillsss