BIGGEST LOSER and calories

Options
last night trainer Bob was scolding the son dad guys for not eatingt their calories ..I still see alot of folks here say they dont eat them either yet I guess they are losing? does anyone consistently NOT generate any extra exercise calories and still stay at the suggested calorie limits?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    last night trainer Bob was scolding the son dad guys for not eatingt their calories ..I still see alot of folks here say they dont eat them either yet I guess they are losing? does anyone consistently NOT generate any extra exercise calories and still stay at the suggested calorie limits?
  • scrappy11
    Options
    No, i always burn at most 622 calories at the gym and I eat at least 550 of those. I have lost all of my weight from that. If you don't eat your exercise calories you might as well call your metabolism the turtle system because it is going to be so slow. You have to keep your body energized throughout the day so it can function and that is what helps you lose the weight!:glasses:
  • livinwell
    Options
    Well Said!:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I don't get it
    With as much as they are working out...I can't understand how the contestant on the biggest loser don't pass out!
    Plus it just seems unhealthy and that they are being set up to gain the weight back when they leave
    I admit, I'm addicted to watching the show, but a few things don't sit well with me
    I don't think anyone/anytime should only consume 1200 cals, especially if you work out

When I started here I ate 1490 cals w/ out working out
    Once I started working out, I bumped my cals up even more....

Just my .02
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i saw that too and was glad to hear it. i eat my excercise calories and seem to be doing ok. what i am worried about is portion size. i need to buy a scale because right now i am eyeballing how much meat i am cooking. i am so scared that i am going over my calories because of this! :indifferent:
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    With as much as they are working out...I can't understand how the contestant on the biggest loser don't pass out!
    Plus it just seems unhealthy and that they are being set up to gain the weight back when they leave
    I admit, I'm addicted to watching the show, but a few things don't sit well with me
    I don't think anyone/anytime should only consume 1200 cals, especially if you work out

I enjoy the show too. But I think it is an injustice to not have a disclaimer before weigh ins saying these results are not typical and they are medicaly monitored. A lot of people think they should be able to do the same. Also, its so mean they have to weigh in spandex and no shirts. geeze.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    Hi

I don't get it

Just my .02

Totally agree with you! I love the show, but I think it's all about the ratings, NOT about actually changing those peoples lives. I read an article about all the past winners and runners up...and while they've kept the weight off....they ALL averaged about a 30-40 pound weight gain. Which when you loose over 100 pounds isn't too bad....but some of them only lost 90 pounds...that's almost 1/2 the weight they gained back. I, too, don't know how they workout that long. I worked out for a little over an hour yesturday and I had spaggheti legs and was exahusted the rest of the day! :laugh: Plus I think they're giving the impression to viewers that if you just workout until you drop that you're going to loose mass amounts of weight. I think they should put more emphasis on how they are helping the BL's change their eating habits. (Which is why I'm a bigger fan of Discovery channels "The National Body Challenge") :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I enjoy the show too. But I think it is an injustice to not have a disclaimer before weigh ins saying these results are not typical and they are medicaly monitored. A lot of people think they should be able to do the same. Also, its so mean they have to weigh in spandex and no shirts. geeze.

there is a disclaimer it says it after the show
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!
    Am I the only other person bothered by the outfits that have to wear to weigh in...especially the older/more mature ladies...seems disrespectful
    I think the shorts they were a fitted t-shirt would be a better choice, no??

Kim
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi

I don't get it

Just my .02

They can go on such calorie restricted diets, in my understanding for two reasons:

they are very overweight, and have body fat to draw their energy from (they're literally eating themselves) A while ago, songbyrdsweet posted a technique for determining a healthy calorie deficit that used a formula that involved your body fat percentage (sorry. . .I don't remember how it worked, but long story short, more body fat = higher safe calorie deficit)

and

they are medically supervised 24/7. . .

But, I still think it's an irresponsible level of weight loss. . .and it's evidenced by the fact that they all seem to go "crazy". . .hyper-emotional, for example. This is partly due to the fact that they've self-medicated their emotions with food for so long and partly due to the fact that they're delirious from hunger/exercise exhaustion.

Still, despite all my problems. . .I can't stop watching. Although, I DVR it so that I can fast forward through all the in-show commercials for extra gum, subway, oatmeal. . .etc. . .that drive me up the wall. Up the wall.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!
    Am I the only other person bothered by the outfits that have to wear to weigh in...especially the older/more mature ladies...seems disrespectful

Kim

I tell you what... it's one of the #1 reasons I wouldn't be on biggest loser
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!

Kim

i dont see why the women cant wear t-shirts either. wearing those sports bras and spandex is humiliating! :noway:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Although I love the show, I, too, have thought they need to focus more on what the contestants really eat. There's no way that the son, at 18 years old and over 300# eats 1200 calories a day! I'm 5' 1", and I don't eat only 1200 cals a day!:grumble: :noway: Thanks for bringing it up!:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Hi

I don't get it

Just my .02

They can go on such calorie restricted diets, in my understanding for two reasons:

they are very overweight, and have body fat to draw their energy from (they're literally eating themselves) A while ago, songbyrdsweet posted a technique for determining a healthy calorie deficit that used a formula that involved your body fat percentage (sorry. . .I don't remember how it worked, but long story short, more body fat = higher safe calorie deficit)

and

they are medically supervised 24/7. . .

But, I still think it's an irresponsible level of weight loss. . .and it's evidenced by the fact that they all seem to go "crazy". . .hyper-emotional, for example. This is partly due to the fact that they've self-medicated their emotions with food for so long and partly due to the fact that they're delirious from hunger/exercise exhaustion.

Still, despite all my problems. . .I can't stop watching. Although, I DVR it so that I can fast forward through all the in-show commercials for extra gum, subway, oatmeal. . .etc. . .that drive me up the wall. Up the wall.

I do love a good train wreck. :wink:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!

Kim

i dont see why the women cant wear t-shirts either. wearing those sports bras and spandex is humiliating! :noway:

I love the show but agree with everyone's concerns here. I actually DVR it and watch it on Wednesday mornings while I walk/jog/run on my treadmill. It makes me keep going. :smile: Oh...they make the guys take their shirts off to weigh! That's mean. I'm embarrassed to be in my yoga pants and sports bras in front of my own boyfriend, let alone the WORLD!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!

Kim

Especially since, they're not actually weighing in. . .that "scale" is actually a prop. They've done their weigh-ins with the Doctors earlier in the day (but don't know the results).

Also, those sports bras aren't lined, and the whole modesty-lack just kind of pisses me off . . .for the men and the women both. I think it's mostly for visual, so you can really see the bodies changing as the weight is lost.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    OMG YES!

Kim

Especially since, they're not actually weighing in. . .that "scale" is actually a prop. They've done their weigh-ins with the Doctors earlier in the day (but don't know the results).

Also, those sports bras aren't lined, and the whole modesty-lack just kind of pisses me off . . .for the men and the women both. I think it's mostly for visual, so you can really see the bodies changing as the weight is lost.

I have been sucked into some tight tank tops in my day... but that would be WAY better then an unsupportive, unlined, bra (I hope they actually have better ones to work out in).
    As for the guys, I would assume it would be a big deal to them too.
    As my dad says, "Really, is a t-shirt going to make THAT big a difference?" (Which I guess if it's down to a few tenths between people...yes.) I feel bad for em, they have more nerve then me for sure!
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I tried not eating my exercise calories and after about a week of doing this, my workouts suffered big time. I was tired, miserable, and *****y.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the ads for subway and the gum etc are pretty over the top but these stretch mark ads on this site leave alot to be desired....I think the show is getting away from itself and going for ratings and drama...Jillian...love her..but she is playing more to the camera than before and getting a bit of drama queen....oh well
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    the ads for subway and the gum etc are pretty over the top but these stretch mark ads on this site leave alot to be desired....I think the show is getting away from itself and going for ratings and drama...Jillian...love her..but she is playing more to the camera than before and getting a bit of drama queen....oh well

American's love Drama- its why reality tv is so huge and has great ratings