surgery ? friend being unkind

Options
my friend says the only way for me to loose the c sec. belly and excess weight i have is to do surgery. is it true? i am 5'2 and 69 kgs i am aiming at 60 kgs with a healthy lifestyle

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    you had the c sec. Are you really ready to have an only cosmetic surgery that will be at least that painful? I don't know about you, but I would never willingly put myself through that kind of pain again unless it was life threatening.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally possible. My C was 8+ years ago, and while on MFP, I've gone from a US size 16 to a US size 6. No belly flap, defined hipbones....don't give up.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If that's the case, then I'm wasting my time. In 17 pounds, I have noticed a huge reduction in my belly size. I didn't have a cesarean, but I had a surgery that left me with a similar, but wider, scar across my bikini line. I would just blow off her comment as unsupportive. You can do it! :)
  • biederwoman
    biederwoman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think people who believe things like that are too lazy to do the work that it takes to lose it! You can do it! It will just take time...
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    you had the c sec. Are you really ready to have an only cosmetic surgery that will be at least that painful? I don't know about you, but I would never willingly put myself through that kind of pain again unless it was life threatening.

Plus, everything removed with a C is modular: it's supposed to come out.....
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is entirely true - some women work really hard to get rid of that c-section mark / fat and can get pretty good results. But I have to say that I have heard actual doctors say that yes, the only way to get rid of the c-section mark / fat is through surgery. HOWVER - you can lose weight all over your body all by yourself and look great! And your scar should be a positive reflection of the wonderful life you have produced!!!

You go girl - ignore your friend's negativity and just concentrate on your health.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There may be scar tissue and excess skin that is streched (with strech marks) that can only be removed by surgery but if there is fat deposits then you can reduce that througha healthy lifestyle of diet and excercise! Most GOOD Dr.'s will tell you to lose as much of it as you can through diet and exercise and then look at surgery as an option to remove excess skin/scar tissue from a C-Section belly :-)

Good Luck!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes and no, genetics, c-section style (cut and closure) and how big you got while pregnant ALL play a roll in it. Surgery should be a last resort after you have maitained your goal weight for 1+ year as well as toning your muscles. Advice from my uncle OBGYN was to start toning ALL muscles but especially abdominal muscles LONG before Ive lost enough weight to see them, and it has paid off, I still lose inches when the lbs arent budging. I had the most modern c-section cut and closure, my scar is below my underwear line and was clsoe entirely with internal stitches, this style avoids cutting as many muscles as previouse styles of c-section cut & closure, the more muscles that are sperated during surgery the harder for them to heal.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Don't let her get you down! You have the right to make changes in your life and sometimes the people around us find that hard to deal with. OF COURSE you can do this (no surgery required!) :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I was told the same thing.. I had 2 sections (2005 and 2007) and they said I would need surgery to remove the "apron"
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'd also like to add that my mother had a C section nearly 30 years ago and has been able to get back to a size 8 (uk) with a nice flat tum!
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections and 5 babies. You can definitely get rid of it without surgery. The catch, it takes WORK. You have to pu the effort in. Perhaps you friend is the kind that looks for the quick fix? If you want great long lasting results without surgery, eat right excercise and loose the weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section almost 22 years ago and I had no problems getting back to a flat belly within a year or so. The trick is, like everything else we're learning, eating right and exercising. For me, it was karate. Training to be able to take a full force punch from a 250 pound male black belt will certainly tone up your abs!

At this point, the scar is barely noticeable and I've even regained full feeling in the skin around the scar.
  • beebabe
    beebabe Posts: 67
    Options
    my friend says the only way for me to loose the c sec. belly and excess weight i have is to do surgery. is it true? i am 5'2 and 69 kgs i am aiming at 60 kgs with a healthy lifestyle

That is not a nice thing to say even if it were true. There are plenty of women who flat abs without surgery.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    your friend is full of it(sorry to be so blunt).
    I've had 2 c-sections and a flat stomach.

Now, I work VERY hard and I watch what I eat.

But no you don't need surgery. You can get good results without.
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just keep working hard at it. I'm having the same battle as u but I see a great difference in my body.

Trust me, when u are trying to work on urself for the better. people will try to bring u down
  • kamula
    kamula Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i am going to loose the weight cant imagine being cut up again. NEED TO PROVE MY FRIEND WRING SO GOING ALL OUT NOW!
  • beebabe
    beebabe Posts: 67
    Options
    You go girl!

Drop the friend. Thats not nice or encouraging for one friend to say to another. Plus its not true!