Intermittent fasting

Options
Cmp_83
Cmp_83 Posts: 4 Member
First day of 16 hour intermittent fasting complete wasn't too bad. Anyone currently doing this or about to begin please feel free to send a friend request.
Most people around my are puzzled that I would start it, I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. Lol

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I do it, just because it fits my schedule. I'm not regimented about the time. I also don't need to talk about it to people, so that eliminates the possibility of people questioning me about it..
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and I'm puzzled someone would find it remarkable to eat three meals 3 or 4 hours apart, let alone call that "fasting".
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast puzzles people?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I naturally did it and didn't find out it was a "thing" until reading about it on these boards.

I'm always vaguely queasy in the morning and find the thought of food rather off-putting.

(And, no, not pregnant. I'm pushing 55, and that ship sailed long ago.)
  • ljboswell628
    ljboswell628 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm curious of your reasons for the fasting. Not to judge just maybe your reasons add more value to the fast.
    And define intermittent. How often do you plan to fast?
    Do you make up the minimum daily calories later in the day? If you don't, you just skip the daily diary entry?
    I believe in fasting just haven't tried it since I'm only a few weeks into calorie, weight tracking and increasing exercise. I'm scared to do anything different and have it throw off my good streak.
    And all the please and thank you's in all the proper places.
  • Cmp_83
    Cmp_83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally I started (IF) because I've put on some belly fat in the past 2 years as I stopped going gym and eating healthy, I've always been slim guy prior, so the extra fat on my midrift seems alien to me, I can also feel my heaviness. I've gone back to the gym now and eating better, (IF) is meant to be a good way of burning/ loosing fat. According to random people on YouTube lol. So why not my brain said, can't do you much harm if done correctly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Cmp_83 wrote: »
    Personally I started (IF) because I've put on some belly fat in the past 2 years as I stopped going gym and eating healthy, I've always been slim guy prior, so the extra fat on my midrift seems alien to me, I can also feel my heaviness. I've gone back to the gym now and eating better, (IF) is meant to be a good way of burning/ loosing fat. According to random people on YouTube lol. So why not my brain said, can't do you much harm if done correctly.

All it is is a method of creating a calorie deficit. There aren't any magical properties.

I do 14:10 most days, but it's due to my work schedule.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Cmp_83 wrote: »

IF is not a good way of burning/losing fat, a calorie deficit is needed to burn/lose fat.and fat comes off where it wants when it wants, you cant spot reduce fat. The first place you gain fat is usually the last place it comes off. I do IF because Im not a big breakfast eater(never really was) and I dont usually eat until after noon anyway. so I do 16:8
  • rmj5009
    rmj5009 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since dec 2016. My trainer is strongly against it, which doesn't affect me. This is the only thing that helped with the weight/fat loss. I also do carb cycling and count macros. Basically, whatever you do, it comes down to basic calories in and calories expended. You need to be in a deficit. But I do believe that with IF, your body is going to use the stored fat rather than the muscle as energy because you have more fat than muscle to burn. As long as you're not dizzy and passing out from it, go ahead!
  • Boringdoug
    Boringdoug Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am about a week in to 16/8. I like it, it feels good to me.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16:8 pretty consistently for over a year. It started with me being too lazy to make breakfast before work then my body adjusted to it well, and I stopped getting hungry until around 11am.

I find it waaaay easier to stick to my calorie goal when I skip breakfast. By 11am, I am the same amount of hungry whether I ate breakfast or not - so I get to save my calories for lunch and dinner and have larger meals. Works great.

I eat lunch around 1pm and dinner at 6pm.
  • jlabret
    jlabret Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If anyone gives you a hard time about it, make them watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Aw0P7GjHE&t=490s

I do it almost every day, 16/8 and I feel great.
  • quzy07
    quzy07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been partaking of a nutritional system for two years now that includes intermittent fasting coupled with nutritional cleansing. Through it I have lost 100 pounds (and counting) and shed toxins and visceral fat and actually seriously increased my lean muscle mass. Here's how it works: 0y2hndq2ri27.jpg
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    quzy07 wrote: »
    Hi! I have been partaking of a nutritional system for two years now that includes intermittent fasting coupled with nutritional cleansing. Through it I have lost 100 pounds (and counting) and shed toxins and visceral fat and actually seriously increased my lean muscle mass. Here's how it works: 0y2hndq2ri27.jpg

what is your body cleansing? what kind of toxins that your organs cant remove? you dont increase lean muscle mass just by losing weight and "detoxing".if you lost 100 lbs you lost it through a deficit of calories. how do you know you lost visceral fat aka belly fat as you cant spot reduce? your body is not going to signal you to gain weight because you have toxins, you gain weight because you eat more than your burn(even with a medical issue its still CICO)
  • leialeia79
    leialeia79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of IF, always looking for new friends!
  • NannMC
    NannMC Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    From: "https://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting" which summarizes Martin Berkhan of Leangains.com.

How Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
    To understand how intermittent fasting leads to fat loss we first need to understand the difference between the fed state and the fasted state.

Your body is in the fed state when it is digesting and absorbing food. Typically, the fed state starts when you begin eating and lasts for three to five hours as your body digests and absorbs the food you just ate. When you are in the fed state, it's very hard for your body to burn fat because your insulin levels are high.

After that timespan, your body goes into what is known as the post–absorptive state, which is just a fancy way of saying that your body isn’t processing a meal. The post–absorptive state lasts until 8 to 12 hours after your last meal, which is when you enter the fasted state. It is much easier for you body to burn fat in the fasted state because your insulin levels are low.

When you're in the fasted state your body can burn fat that has been inaccessible during the fed state.

Because we don't enter the fasted state until 12 hours after our last meal, it's rare that our bodies are in this fat burning state. This is one of the reasons why many people who start intermittent fasting will lose fat without changing what they eat, how much they eat, or how often they exercise. Fasting puts your body in a fat burning state that you rarely make it to during a normal eating schedule.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do 14:10 or 16:8. Occassionaly I throw in a 48hr fast on the weekend